BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Online VS Offline, Social Interaction
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
May as well stick a poll in yolo
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Sep 6 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #1
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Okay I've got a bit of an ulterior motive with this topic as it relates to something I'm having to do for uni. Basically I've to keep a journal/make notes on observations surrounding the theme of social interaction. At the moment I'm gearing mine towards introverts compared to extroverts but mostly social interaction online compared to interacting with people in person. I thought given that this is an online discussion forum, this might be a good thing to put out to you guys as I'm sure you'll have some good points that I haven't even considered laugh.gif

So, here's some basic questions to kick things off magic.gif

Which do you prefer, talking to someone online or offline? Which social media sites do you frequent most? What differences have you noticed between how people interact on the internet compared to how they interact in person? What about in terms of different sites, Twitter compared to Facebook or Tumblr etc What do you think are the reasons as to why such differences exist?

Get your paragraph hats on tbh angel.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Sep 6 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #2
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I voted "i don't have a preference" because it depends on the person/how i'm feeling! of course it's always easier to say things online but at the same time im quite sociable and rlly enjoy being with ppl inrl. for context the social media i use most are facebook/twitter/insta/snaphat. I always find that people can reveal their worst traits over these sites, quite a few people ik in real life are much happier serving sass/shade over these kinda sites, then being completely different inrl! they feel happy subtweeting, but won't actually address their issues face 2 face?! fb feels so much more formal to me bc i have my family on there etc, whereas when i use twitter im more likely to rt stan things etc. tumblr users annoy the hell out of me quite a lot (soz lindsey & cody, neithe rof u are included in that) and stan twitter can be utterly ridiculous as well.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Sep 6 2016, 06:17 PM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

I'm very different irl which is a shame and I wish I was as open as I am online, maybe that'll change one day with age, hopefully.

Obviously irl interaction has a lot of advantages too but since I find it better online I voted that.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Sep 6 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

If I'm chatting with a friend then definitely in person. I really don't like having one-on-one conversations over Facebook messenger because it just ends up so unnatural. I like to spontaneously talk to someone and I just can't do that when typing. I'll end up re-reading or re-wording in my head and whatever I put just doesn't have the same effect or hold the same meaning as it would if I were to say it out loud to someone. Plus I listen a lot, I like to take in what other people say and watch out for the details like how they say it or their body language or their eyes. You lose all that over text talk and I just get anxious having to constantly 'perfect' anything I type.

However, I find it much easier talking to people on here, even if it was a one-on-one conversation, whether it would be chit-chat or a deep talk. I suppose it's always something focused and there's no worry of how to start or end the conversation, plus there's the fact I've never met anyone here which makes a difference. This still has its disadvantages, as since people don't know me personally, they can only interpret the things I say and make a judgement on that, and of course that can be misinterpreted. Plus I still don't feel like I word things properly or the way I'd like, especially in debates, and I end up getting annoyed at myself for that. I think I'm just a much better listener than I am at sharing/talking.

Oh and just to throw it out there, I absolutely detest talking on the phone to someone.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Sep 6 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #5
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Ooh this is an interesting topic! I do enjoy both online and in person interaction but I'd say I feel more COMFORTABLE interacting over the Internet. I feel like I often come away from conversations thinking of things that I wish I could have added at the time; I appreciate that you have way more time to think when formulating a sentence over the Internet. I still have issues with social anxiety which is why the Internet has been amazing for connecting with people. I do really enjoy conversing with the closest people to me in real life though and you are able to do so much more which makes for better memories. So it's a tough one. I actually do tend to have deeper conversations on the Internet a lot of the time (tying in with the feeling more comfortable expressing myself over the Internet thing) but I guess it's just preferable to be able to be with someone in person that means a lot to you and hear their voice. I value people I've met on the Internet highly and it always irks me when people say Internet friends 'aren't real' 'cause I've had some very important conversations and fun times with people that I haven't met. But I do also have real life friends and I am very appreciative of them too. Hmm. I'd say I feel more comfortable having conversations over the Internet but often the best memories are made in real life. I value both ways of communication a LOT. I definitely prefer conversing with loved ones/friends in real life BUT due to feeling more comfortable over the Internet, I went for that option as that is how I would prefer to talk to someone I don't know so well and also allows me to express myself more.

It's so crazy how you can essentially change your entire personality over the internet though, on Catfish for example it's crazy that people don't even realise that they've been talking to their partner for a few years pretending to be someone else. You can just show the world the best bits of yourself and change parts. I personally haven't really had many issues with my own friends as they all seem to be the same as they are online, though subtweeting is a bit of an annoyance from time to time. I tend to use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram the most with social media and some people can tailor what they post to make their lives look 'perfect'. This is the biggest difference for me, how you can hide whatever you want and present what you choose over the Internet whereas in real life you tend to be aware of more of their flaws and what they actually get up to.

+Quote Post
M.
post Sep 6 2016, 06:57 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Each has their positives and negatives. I'm more likely to get to know people online these days because it seems to be easier for me, but there's always a part of me that craves the same level of interaction "offline" that I've been having online. I find it more difficult to make substantial conversation in real life, possibly partly because of the ability to think things through more when typing something out online. I might be meeting two people from online for the first time soon (on separate occasions), so it'll be interesting to see whether the previous experience of talking to each other online will have a positive effect in terms of feeling more comfortable with each other in real life etc, or if it'll just be more awkward...

Obviously with something like forums, people tend to share lots of different pieces of themselves for anyone to see, which gives people the opportunity to already get a lot of insight into them without even meeting. And also people may be more comfortable sharing certain things about themselves or thoughts about certain subjects in this way, because basically every imaginable topic has been/will be created for people to specifically share whatever thoughts they have on the subject. Not that that doesn't ever happen in real life, of course.

Being with people you're close to in real life feels amazing though.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Sep 6 2016, 07:47 PM
Post #7
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Sep 6 2016, 07:29 PM) *
Ooh this is an interesting topic! I do enjoy both online and in person interaction but I'd say I feel more COMFORTABLE interacting over the Internet. I feel like I often come away from conversations thinking of things that I wish I could have added at the time; I appreciate that you have way more time to think when formulating a sentence over the Internet. I still have issues with social anxiety which is why the Internet has been amazing for connecting with people. I do really enjoy conversing with the closest people to me in real life though and you are able to do so much more which makes for better memories. So it's a tough one. I actually do tend to have deeper conversations on the Internet a lot of the time (tying in with the feeling more comfortable expressing myself over the Internet thing) but I guess it's just preferable to be able to be with someone in person that means a lot to you and hear their voice. I value people I've met on the Internet highly and it always irks me when people say Internet friends 'aren't real' 'cause I've had some very important conversations and fun times with people that I haven't met. But I do also have real life friends and I am very appreciative of them too. Hmm. I'd say I feel more comfortable having conversations over the Internet but often the best memories are made in real life. I value both ways of communication a LOT. I definitely prefer conversing with loved ones/friends in real life BUT due to feeling more comfortable over the Internet, I went for that option as that is how I would prefer to talk to someone I don't know so well and also allows me to express myself more.

It's so crazy how you can essentially change your entire personality over the internet though, on Catfish for example it's crazy that people don't even realise that they've been talking to their partner for a few years pretending to be someone else. You can just show the world the best bits of yourself and change parts. I personally haven't really had many issues with my own friends as they all seem to be the same as they are online, though subtweeting is a bit of an annoyance from time to time. I tend to use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram the most with social media and some people can tailor what they post to make their lives look 'perfect'. This is the biggest difference for me, how you can hide whatever you want and present what you choose over the Internet whereas in real life you tend to be aware of more of their flaws and what they actually get up to.

hai mattias

This post has been edited by Bonquiqui: Sep 6 2016, 07:49 PM

+Quote Post
M.
post Sep 6 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bonquiqui @ Sep 6 2016, 08:47 PM) *
hai mattias

hai, I kinda don't appreciate this tbh... I've been over this before tongue.gif

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Sep 6 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #9
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

well you might as well say "hai" to me as well because I feel the same :')

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Sep 6 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #10
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

hai

+Quote Post
Slade
post Sep 6 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #11
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Lindsey asked for paragraphs and that's what she got *.*

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Sep 6 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #12
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I chose no preference. I love talking to people in person, but being able to do group chats online is handy when it's not practical for everyone to meet up.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Sep 6 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #13
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Sep 6 2016, 08:50 PM) *
hai, I kinda don't appreciate this tbh... I've been over this before tongue.gif

don't overthink/analyse a throwaway comment pls

+Quote Post
M.
post Sep 6 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bonquiqui @ Sep 6 2016, 09:12 PM) *
don't overthink/analyse a throwaway comment pls

I wasn't overthinking or analysing at all this time, that was my immediate reaction to something you said which had a pretty obvious meaning :') I'm tired of not speaking up for myself and then thinking of the perfect thing to say like months later lmfao

+Quote Post
Flatcap
post Sep 6 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #15
Ebenezer...
Member No.: 27
   No Gallery Pics

Offline mainly in a social, relaxing sense.

Oops, paragraph? Might expand this at the weekend when I am off work (work long shifts and get rather tired).

This post has been edited by Flatcap: Sep 6 2016, 08:24 PM

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Sep 6 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #16
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

QUOTE(Mattias @ Sep 6 2016, 09:18 PM) *
I wasn't overthinking or analysing at all this time, that was my immediate reaction to something you said which had a pretty obvious meaning :') I'm tired of not speaking up for myself and then thinking of the perfect thing to say like months later lmfao

YAS!!! YOU GET OFF THAT FENCE cheer.gif heart.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 6 2016, 08:43 PM
Post #17
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Lindsey⚙ @ Sep 6 2016, 07:01 PM) *
Which do you prefer, talking to someone online or offline? Which social media sites do you frequent most? What differences have you noticed between how people interact on the internet compared to how they interact in person? What about in terms of different sites, Twitter compared to Facebook or Tumblr etc What do you think are the reasons as to why such differences exist?

I think had I answered your first question around 10-15 years ago I would have definitely gone for online but that has changed as I've built a lot more self-confidence. I used to actively avoid any social situations like parties by making up some excuse or pretending I was busy as I was massively worried that I would come across as awkward and people would not like me (which meant I was invited to fewer and fewer parties obviously!) and kind of settled in to very close group of friends, who I had gradually built up a trust in and could be very open with. The internet wasn't as big a thing back then ( yes, I'm, THAT old...) but we moved toward interacting over MSN some evenings- and I felt much happier and comfortable doing that than going into town to meet with the much bigger groups in which I felt comparatively massively uneasy to be in and could not be myself. Today I much prefer meeting with people and am a lot more sociable offline than I have ever been, it has taken some time though to overcome my natural social anxiety and though I am still nervous and still have a tendency to withdraw when in groups of new people, I have definitely got a lot better.

Obviously over the internet people have the cover of anonymity which allows them to be much more at ease, comfortable and able to open up with complete strangers and overcome any barriers that social anxiety create - much like a Venetian masked ball. Personally I think it has been very liberating for a lot of severely introverted people who would otherwise not been able to be interact with others, but it can become a problem with addiction to the internet and not trying to overcome those social anxiety issues in real life.

I don't use any of the social media sites (I think they tend to encourage narcissism), I prefer to keep in contact with my friends and family using more traditional and meaningful ways, but I do get some strange looks when people ask for my FaceBook account and I tell them I don't have one.... that's stranger looks than I usually get obvs.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Sep 6 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #18
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

YAS MATTY ASS SCALP ME

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Sep 6 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #19
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I don't have a preference really! It really depends who I'm talking to and what it's about. If I'm arranging a meet-up or something I'd rather do that over Facebook than a phone call for example, I hate speaking on the phone and it's just simple to arrange that over Facebook or WhatsApp. If it's a chinwag I'm after, I'd much rather do it in person! Feels much easier to have a catch-up in person than over the internet, the conversation can flow back and forth much easier, and you can talk about more stuff because time isn't spent typing and then waiting for a reply. If it's a bit more deep or serious, I think I'm better expressing myself online, because I have a bit of time to formulate an appropriate response. It really depends on a lot of factors but both have their pros and cons I think!

+Quote Post
dancember
post Sep 6 2016, 09:25 PM
Post #20
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I have social anxiety and very introverted so deffo online.

I only really interact with people online on buzzjack though, I don't often use Facebook (or alternative) as a means of talking to people that I know offline.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 04:56 PM