BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's Top 40 so far this month 05, up to 08/09, with links and write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 9th September 2016, 12:04 AM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895

It pains me to say it, but as much as I think this is a step down for them, and despite my irrational resentment towards Louisa Johnson for how last year's X Factor was rigged as a two-month marketing campaign for her, 'Tears' by the aforementioned pair tops my chart this week. It's too damn catchy! New entries this week include Roosevelt, 4Minute's HyunA striking out again as a solo artist, Metronomy, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and a double-up from Frank Ocean's new album. Here's the top 40 in more detail, from the last 30 days up to 08/09/16:

01 Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears [40-13-1]
02 Molly Marlette - Do Me a Favor [32-9-2] [*]
03 Tove Lo - Cool Girl [15-4-1-1-3]
04 Annabel Jones - Not Today [22-11-4]
05 Astronomyy - The Secret [32-5] [*]
06 Sandra Lyng - Moonrise [21-10-6]
07 Tayler Buono - Something About You [10-2-7]
08 Dev - #1 [22-8]
09 Kate Nash - Good Summer [31-18-9]
10 Empire of the Sun - High and Low [28-10]
11 HyunA - How's This? [N] [*]
12 Uppermost ft. Lisa Alma - Talisman [34-16-12]
13 Wild Belle - Baby Come Back to Me [22-6-27-13]
14 Young Summer - Paused Parade [12-14]
15 Warpaint - New Song [20-5-15] [*]
16 Christine and the Queens - Tilted [26-X2-16]
17 Bear's Den - Emeralds [36-30-4-17]
18 Inna ft. Yandel + Marian Hill - Diggy Down Remix [N]
19 Fergie - MILF$ [36-20-11-21-19]
20 Alina Baraz x Tez Cadey - Can I [N] [*]
21 Honne ft. Izzy Bizu - Someone That Loves You [15-8-21]
22 Hoosiers - Somewhere in the Distance [17-22]
23 Roosevelt - Night Moves [N]
24 Flume ft. Little Dragon - Take a Chance [N]
25 Izzy Bizu - White Tiger [25-20-25]
26 SG Lewis - Yours [N]
27 Arcane Station ft. Marianne Hekkilae - Let Them Fall [36-24-27]
28 Savoir Adore - Night Song [25-28]
29 Frank Ocean - Ivy [N]
30 Frank Ocean - Nights [N]
31 BlackPink - Whistle [39-38-31]
32 Tundran - Last Drive [23-26-32]
33 George Maple - Sticks and Horses [9-6-2-14-33]
34 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Encore [N] [*]
35 Metronomy ft. Robyn - Hang Me Out to Dry [N]
36 Honne - It Ain't Wrong Loving You [33-36]
37 CL - Lifted [35-37] [*]
38 Bear's Den - Red Earth + Pouring Rain [35-X2-38]
39 Luna Shadows - Waves [37-39-39]
40 Mollie King - Back to You [36-40]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 9th September 2016, 12:07 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 9th September 2016, 12:05 AM
Post #2
Group icon

It's the second week of September, and it's a week that sees a lot of movement both in the upper and lower reaches of the chart. High-charting mainstays from previous weeks including Closer, Youth, and Walkway Blues drop out entirely, leaving Sticks and Horses, Cool Girl, and unbelievably, MILF$ on its second chart run, as joint longest-runners in the chart. Annabel Jones, Molly Marlette and Astronomyy's The Secret, released earlier this year, move into the top 5 for the first time, and are joined in the top 10 by last week's high new entries for Dev and Empire of the Sun. Expect those two to stick about.

And now onto this week's featured chart links:

Molly Marlette zooms up to #2 this week, becoming the latest in a string of under-the-radar pop females to take the spot with a pleasant pure-pop song that, despite fitting right into today's mainstream market, is unlikely to see a radio play on any of the pop stations. Google tells me that despite the image and sound, she's a multi-instrumentalist who mainly works in folk-pop and has been active already for 8 years. Huh. The more you know. This is very nice though and actually reminds me of the rush of indie pop in the UK in 2008 around the time of Florence's debut.

Astronomyy are a band I've been following for a while, who charted two songs in my retrospective of the year in 2015. I heard a more pop remix of one of these songs when out shopping at the weekend, so I'm thinking perhaps they've decided to gun for the mainstream market now. They recently covered Ariana Grande and if Wikipedia is to be believed, produced MNEK and Zara Larsson's breakthrough single from last year. The Secret didn't really catch me on first release, but made it onto one of my playlists recently and so charts this week at #5. I'd like to see them do well this year.

2016's K-Pop invasion continues. HyunA from the now-defunct girl group 4MINUTE strikes out solo on this release, How's This?. It's very upbeat and dancey, with a great use of horns, and great energy. It's also reminiscent of 4MINUTE's past song Crazy which was a chart hit for me at the time. HyunA - How's This? charts this week at #11.

Back to under-the-radar for this next one, both Alina Baraz and Tez Cadey's second chart hit for me this year. It almost has a feel of Prayer in C/Waves about it, maybe even OMI Cheerleader, much as I detest almost everything about that song. I'm a big fan of both artists' sounds, and I would recommend either of them to anyone who likes this one. Disclaimer though: to my personal taste, Alina's remixes are far superior to her slower originals. Alina Baraz and Tez Cadey debut this week at #20

Another long-overdue return at #34 this week, and this time it's the return of the Chilis. Album The Getaway isn't quite a fall from grace, but at least in terms of singles, they're no longer the (mainstream) chart force they were briefly in the mid to late 2000s - an era I remember fondly. The Getaway has been a slow burner for me too, hence its first track only entering my personal chart in September, nearly 3 months after the album's release. (Wow, time flies!) It's a good one for the season, though.

Finally, we close off the week with...more K-Pop - of a sort, at least. Artist CL is best known in much of the world for her Korean releases as part of girl group 2NE1, but has been pushing towards the US market for several years now, collaborating with among others, Skrillex, Diplo, and Will.I.Am on English releases. Lifted sees her hooking up with Method Man and wearing an excellent array of costumes while enacting a Rihanna-style swagger, completely in English, through a very American cityscape. It's pretty competent, a bit surreal, and as ever, you can tell a lot of money's been thrown at it. It's stalling low in my chart for now, but we'll see where it goes from here. Lifted is this week's #37 and the last link for this week.

Questions, comments, things you like, things you hate? Let me know - discussion of all kinds welcome!:)

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 9th September 2016, 01:59 AM

+Quote this post
JSG
post 9th September 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

Hey Jupiter!!

01 Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears [40-13-1]
04 Annabel Jones - Not Today [22-11-4]
09 Kate Nash - Good Summer [31-18-9] wub.gif This Is the best thing she's done sing doo wah doo wub.gif
16 Christine and the Queens - Tilted [26-X2-16] wub.gif Fantastic re-entry
19 Fergie - MILF$ [36-20-11-21-19]
25 Izzy Bizu - White Tiger [25-20-25]
37 CL - Lifted [35-37] [*]
40 Mollie King - Back to You [36-40] wub.gif Shame to see this fall unsure.gif

Great chart!

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 10th September 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #4
Group icon

Thanks! Yes, its taken a long while for both 'Tears' and 'Tilted' to grow on me - this is Tears' first chart run for me now in September after its release much earlier in the year. This happens sometimes with my taste!

The Kate Nash song is such a good comeback. A real shame it hasn't made any impact on the official chart or on Spotify. If only she'd released a little earlier in the summer maybe....?

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:58 PM