BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How far do you live from the people closest to you?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
T83:Y96
post Sep 10 2016, 07:32 PM
Post #1
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

In the old days, entire families would live under one roof. However, this time has passed, and with the progression of technology and transport, relatives can now live on different continents and still communicate daily.

But how far do you need to travel to see your loved ones? Is it a quick walk across the street? Is it a 10 mile drive to the nearest town? Or is it a carefully planned, fully packed trip to see your parents who've swapped the mundaneness of Norwich for the sunny beaches of Benidorm?

What about your friends? Do you live a few blocks away from them, or does a birthday party mean driving half a hour to their home?

Finally, does the distance (or lack of) annoy you? Do you wish your oenophile parents had settled for the vineyards of Hampshire instead of moving to Bordeaux, wine capital of the world? Or conversely, would you rather that your nagging elders move to a larger town in order to reduce the need to drive?

Discuss.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Sep 10 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

A couple of Aunts live around 30 mins walk distance, one lives in London and a couple live in Australia tongue.gif
My gran used to live 30 mins away also until she died.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Sep 10 2016, 07:46 PM
Post #3
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

My parents live two villages over and my brother one further. My sister lives miles away in London and my grandparents decided living on top of a mountain in Colwyn Bay would be a good idea.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Sep 10 2016, 08:03 PM
Post #4
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

My friends and family are scattered across the country/world ... Aberdeen, Kent, Bracknell, Bury, London, Manchester, Penrith, Auckland, Toronto, Singapore, New Delhi .. you name it.

Kind of annoying, but it's also a really good excuse to go and visit some cool new places.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Sep 10 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #5
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Since I moved away for uni I'm about an hour and a half's drive away from my parents, If I go down to see them though it could take double that because of public transport drama.gif it's not too bad though, like there was a week before I got my flat that i did that journey twice a day for uni but I do only really get to go down and visit if i've got a few days off together and they only come up to see me if my dad has a Saturday off but that only happens every 6 weeks or so. I have an Auntie who lives in my hometown too, she's about a ten minute drive away which is handy even though I don't tend to see her, my uncle or my cousin all that often. One of my Aunties on my dads side lives just outside of Glasgow, its a good 45 minute drive at least from my mum and dads or often she's down at her caravan with her family which is even further. We only ever really see family at Birthdays or Christmas, New Year etc. I've got a cousin in Japan, I see her once a year when she comes over to visit but its been like that since I was five so it doesn't feel weird not seeing her more than that. My dad has two other sisters and a brother but they cut everyone off so I've not seen them in well over ten years and have got no idea where they live.

I do wish my dads sister stayed closer as I think I'd see her a lot more. My gran used to live in the next street to my parents house which was amazing and I really miss not being able to just jump into her house for a visit when I'm passing or whatever. It was one of the few places me and Cameron could go ourselves because we were so young at the time but it felt like a big adventure sometimes going to her house on our own, even though it was literally about a five minute walk away laugh.gif I saw my gran like every day and because she lived so close I could go and see her whenever, on my way to school, afterwards, like there was always somewhere I could go if I didn't want to be at home :') Her house basically was my second home. My old best friend lives on the same street she did too, so I could go meet up with her whilst staying at my grans laugh.gif It's sad how something that was such a constant in your life can change so quickly.

As for now, I live in the city centre of my town so its always easy to meet up with people whether it be in town or i need to jump a bus, all my friends live in different areas though but I can be at theirs in under half an hour. One of them did move to Glasgow last week right enough but I'm in Glasgow often because of family so that works too happy.gif

This post has been edited by Lindsey⚙: Sep 10 2016, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
dancember
post Sep 10 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #6
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I still live with my parents.

If I wanted to visit my grandma I'd have to travel approximately 9,000 miles as she lives in Perth (Australia). That's 9 times the amount of miles The Proclaimers would be willing to walk. Thankfully Face Time exists so we can still talk/see each other.

My nan and granddad on the other side of the family live much closer though, in Shropshire (England) so we visit them once or twice a year.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Sep 10 2016, 09:27 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

None of my handful of friends live in the same town as me which sometimes I find really annoying and limiting (and I'm becoming really quite distant with one of them), but I can manage. My cousin lives all the way over in Estonia and she's one of the people I'm closest to, just not distance-wise :') Sometimes it's sad that she's so far away but at least there's the internet, plus it makes it really special whenever she comes over to see me in Ireland every couple of years or I go back to Estonia for a visit. Same goes for my sister, who lives over there as well.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Sep 10 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #8
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

living with my mum and brother but moving out in two weeks, i'll be about a 2 hour train journey away so not too bad, at all! currently not exactly too sure where my dad is living laugh.gif it's probably under 30-60mins away tho so not too far if i ever do want to catch up. Two of my aunts live in the town just over from me and now I can drive I can pop over to see them now, and my uncle lives in london so I don't see him as often, I do have an open invitation to stay at theirs though biggrin.gif I have two sets of grandparents on my dads side, my gran and her partner live in a some REALLY obscure place, even tho I'm used to the countryside I still struggle finding it!1! laugh.gif I don't tend to drive out there often as I get lost so I usually meet her at my aunts house for ease kink.gif My grandad and his partner live around stourhead which is always such a lovely place to visit!! On my mums side my nan has now passed but used to live in IOW, so I used to go over there a couple of times a year or she'd come stay with us, my grandad (who i've never met) lives in saudi arabia so that's pretty far laugh.gif

once again living in the countryside means my friends are spread out. two of my friends literally live in my estate, i can see one of my friends bedroom window from mine laugh.gif few others live in my town then some of my other friends live in other tiny villages spread out around, forever avoiding the potholes to get there! kink.gif now most of us can drive it's so easy to just collect all of us to go out somewhere or sth laugh.gif

i've lived in the countryside all my life so i'm used to having to travel to see people, it's going to be so weird moving to uni and actually having everything i need in one place? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Sep 11 2016, 05:24 AM
Post #9
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

I grew up with most of my immediate family living in the same town and most of us are still here. I'm still living with my mom and dad and one brother, the other lives across the country. I have three sets of grandparents, one also moved across the country to a warmer climate but the rest are still here too. I get to see most of my cousins, aunts and uncles on a very regular basis which is really nice. My friends are another story, most of my closest friends have moved to other states and that hasn't been easy to deal with. But both sides of my family are very good at staying in touch, even the ones that aren't a short drive away I still get to see once or twice a year!

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Sep 11 2016, 06:48 AM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I live about 275 miles from my immediate family (mum, dad, sister) and have done for almost 6 months now. I am now the closest, distance-wise, to my extended family I've ever been. When I first moved down here I was about 50 mins via train from my Grandad which was so much more awesome than 6 hours. With interviews and planning for the relocation I spent a massive amount of time travelling up and down the M6 at the start of this year often using Grandad's as a base. In the 6 months he was sick I got to see him so much more than I ever had and that was really nice, if a little tough at the end.

Both my parents are from Chester and my dad's family are all still reasonably local to the NW. My mums side is much smaller, my uncle lives in the new forrest but also has a house in spain, one of my cousins lives in Paris and the other lives somewhere along the M56 fairly close by. Growing up we were always the isolated ones that nobody could be arsed visiting so we're not too close with my dad's side.

Like Lotti, I grew up in the countryside so driving was a must in order to see my friends as public transport is shite. Most of my friends still live around Dundee/St Andrews. Got a few spread across the UK in Glasgow, Aberdeen, London, Canterbury, Stirling, Edinburgh and quite a few further afield in Brisbane, Sydney, Charleston, Ohio, Phily.

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Sep 11 2016, 09:02 AM
Post #11
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

Quite a few people in my family live in Pont-Audemer, which is about an hour and a half away from I am. A lot of the British side of the family live in Sussex.

Other than that, one of my great-aunts has a holiday home in Cabourg, while my grandmother lives in Luz, in Portugal. As for my two aunts on my father's side, one lives in Devon and one lives in Carcassonne.

There's also my uncle's mother who has two homes: a small flat in Paris and a very big house in Rentières. We've used both to go on holiday.

My stepfather's parents live next door to us. Which wouldn't be a problem if they didn't think they still owned our house. And the farm. And that they're entitled to half the meat produced. And that they have the right to use whatever the hell they want. And that they're still able of driving. dry.gif

Regarding my friends, the closest one lives about 8 km away, while the furthest lives 26 km away.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Sep 11 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #12
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I live about 40 miles from most of my family (parents, siblings and my granny) which doesn't sound too bad but I don't drive so if I have to travel there alone it can sometimes take me up to 4 hours using public transport. I found it hard to be so far away from them in the beginning but its not so bad now with the likes of Facebook & FaceTime to keep in touch. I'd love to move to Scotland some day so that'd be even further away laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Sep 11 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #13
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I only see a small section of my family regularly, none are local except my immediate family. I live with my parents and brother and sister, my grandparents live in Essex which is around an hours drive (though recently that's seemed a little too far for my mum as my grandmother has been suffering a bit lately from dementia and needs a lot of visits to take care of her sad.gif) and my aunt on my mum's side used to live five minutes away but now lives all the way down in Weston Super Mare, the other side of the country from where I am, (which allowed me to go to T4 on the Beach when it was on *_*) but she basically travels EVERYWHERE as part of her job so she'll more often than not be in Haiti or Switzerland. We see them both every so often, mainly at Christmas, so never much hassle in travelling.

My cousins and aunt and uncle on my dad's side live all the way down in Ashton Keynes which is around a two hour drive, we only see them at Christmas, where we used to simply go to a restaurant right in between us and them (can't even remember the place, it was pretty god-forsaken), which my dad got SICK off so we haven't actually seen them in two years! Honestly, my dad is pretty anti-social, so that's probably the reason I don't see a lot of my family on his side laugh.gif

My friends from school mainly all live in the same area and I enjoy catching up with them every so often, different story for my uni friends who all live quite a way away.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Sep 11 2016, 01:46 PM

+Quote Post
LexC
post Sep 11 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #14
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

My immediate family are pretty much all in the Fareham area and the ones that aren't are at least in places like Eastleigh and Gosport (basically all the deep blue Brexit areas on the Hampshire coast). The extended family tend to be in South London which I grew up thinking was miles away but really isn't in the grand scheme of things, although a lot of them are moving out of it for one reason or another like my Grandma's had to move into a care home near us and my aunt is selling her flat and moving down here to be closer to the rest of the family so I guess that's all set to change.

Don't mind me I'm just oversharing~

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 11 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

My family live in mansfield or dorset, full stop.

I live with my ailing parents and my brother and his many kids live in dorset, with their families, bar 2 in mansfield. One aunt uncle in dorset, the rest in mansfield.

Working class families dont travel far unless forced to...

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Sep 12 2016, 09:59 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

my sister just moved to florida so now i'm not able to see her like monthly, which sucks. before that, my immediate family all lived in one state (pennsylvania). my family is huge though, and a majority of them are in the philippines. but for those who've migrated, my cousins whom i'm closest to live in toronto, and i have other, more distant relatives in california, new york, new jersey, virginia, hawaii, winnipeg, and dublin, and then i have a couple second cousins who work in the middle east, i think. and i don't really knows my dad's family at all but i know some of them live in australia.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Sep 12 2016, 07:25 PM
Post #17
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I'm currently living with my parents and my brother while commuting to University and this will be the arrangement for a few more years. My grandma then lives around the corner from us also in Northampton, it's literally a 10 minute walk to get to her house! Although she spends half of the year in Spain too. Since my great grandma died last year my grandma uses her flat to spend half the time there as she has a lot of friends and a few family members still out there. So I do have a few relatives that live in Spain thanks to my mum's side. We went there on holiday annually but since last year that's been up in the air so I haven't seen a lot of them for over a year now.

My dad's side of the family mostly reside in Watford or London! I was born in Watford and I go there a few times a year to visit my grandparents, aunties and uncles and my cousin. I also actually have a few members of family on my mum's side that live in Bushey which is pretty close to Watford.

My friends are all over the place since we've gone to Uni laugh.gif I usually don't see my school friends in term time as they're all over the country but we do meet up during the holidays. Thankfully I do still have some of my old friends here that decided to not go to Uni so there's always at least someone there. My two sixth form best friends are both about 15 minutes away from me.

Then of course Bray lives a couple of hours away from me in Reading but then quite a lil bit further than that when he's in Bath for Uni. We try and see each other every few weeks and this arrangement has worked really well so far!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Sep 12 2016, 09:32 PM
Post #18
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

My neighbors are Trump supporters so I wouldn't necessarily consider them people.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Sep 12 2016, 09:34 PM
Post #19
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

LMAO oops totally just read the title and then started reading the thread! I'm quite close to my family when it's not the winter season. Less than 5 miles from home parents, about 10-15 miles from grandmother and the majority of my circle.

8 hours away in the winter. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Sep 12 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #20
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

I ended up being extremely lucky in sort of landing on my feet friends-wise after being contractually obliged to move from Edinburgh to London at short notice back in May. Knew some people in the city but a few more of my closest friends from my two years in Scotland have since moved here for jobs too, and it's just like we've an infinite supply of new places to explore together, so it's worked out well (but is expensive to get anywhere here/meet up of course).

Have to get a flight over the Irish Sea to be with all of my family and long-time friends, which strangely doesn't bother me as frequently as it should. Still a bit shit though. Thankfully I've been able to fit in as normal every time I've gone back to visit people, and I've grown quite fond of having big catch-ups and really enjoying each other's company in place of more regular meet-ups. I'd say overall I could definitely do with living nearer people, but I can cope fine for now at least.

This post has been edited by Noahspike: Sep 12 2016, 11:06 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 10:30 PM