BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Biggest music turnarounds
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Danuary
post Sep 15 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #1
future bass fisherman
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Skepta winning the Mercury Prize just reminded me of how much he's changed as an artist since he started having chart hits, and how he went from semi-popular commercial rap/dance artist to credible grime sensation.

Sia is another recent big example, after having spent many years being barely known to the general public now she is a massive popstar with long lasting commercial hits.

what other big turnarounds in music can you think of? which are your favourites?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mdh
post Sep 15 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #2
crap at finishing things
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

The Chainsmokers are another notable one - from the horrible #SELFIE to multiple commercial hits, who would have thought they'd have the success they've had back in 2014?!

+Quote Post
awardinary™
post Sep 15 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #3
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I think Craig David deserves a mention. He seems to be enjoying a pretty decent comeback, not to mention his second comeback too after sesurging briefly in 2007 after 6 years.

I wish he had enjoyed his success a long time ago, I do rate him as an artist, and I think if he can work with some big names in the world of dance, he could become a global phenomenon rather than just a household name in the UK.

I just hope he continues to appear regularly in the Top 40 for the next year or two.

+Quote Post
princess lotita
post Sep 15 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #4
#TittiTakeover
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,777

i wouldn't call #SELFIE horrible but yes it always surprises me that the chainsmokers are the same people behind that! (if we ignore the halsey mess)

+Quote Post
awardinary™
post Sep 15 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #5
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(mdh @ Sep 15 2016, 10:14 PM) *
The Chainsmokers are another notable one - from the horrible #SELFIE to multiple commercial hits, who would have thought they'd have the success they've had back in 2014?!

Not really much of a comeback when just two years lapsed bewteeen singles, but yeah I get your point. They've developed a unique sound unlike any other mainstream artist.

This post has been edited by awardinary: Sep 15 2016, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post
Danuary
post Sep 15 2016, 09:27 PM
Post #6
future bass fisherman
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

'#selfie' was always a one-off for The Chainsmokers anyway, that was never what their sound was all about - they just made that to make fun of generic EDM songs and nightclub/selfie culture. A big turnaround nonetheless.

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Sep 15 2016, 09:32 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

fun./nate ruess's success in 2012 took me aback tbh. the format were one of the first bands i listened to when i first started seeking out ~cooler music~ at 13 so seeing nate ruess suddenly hit #1 with a different project was very random and unexpected.

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Sep 15 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #8
long hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

Justin Bieber for sure! He's been one of the biggest current names in music for years now but since Where Are U Now, it's swerved to being for the right reasons rather than the wrong. Plus before that, he didn't really have a major impacting hit (Baby and Boyfriend probably came close but the former is more well known for the amount of hate it attracts really). Now he's managed to branch out beyond his fanbase and lure the general public in, which is pretty impressive considering how many people seemed to "hate" him beforehand! (I love his old material anyway lol)

(oh and I do find #Selfie quite horrible tbh :') dreadful song, feels odd to think it's from the same people who made the glorious Don't Let Me Down heart.gif)

+Quote Post
Snake Got Hissed
post Sep 15 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #9
I have no custom member title
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(awardinary @ Sep 15 2016, 10:16 PM) *
Not really much of a comeback when just two years lapsed bewteeen singles, but yeah I get your point. They've developed a unique sound unlike any other mainstream artist.

Well I wouldn't call it unique really. Chainsmokers are future bass and to me that genre all sounds similar (Dont Let Me Down, In the name of Love, Sex, Lean On, Where are U Now etc) in that it has acoustic verses and then the big drop with weird sound effects and pitched vocals.

Dont Let Me Down is the best though of the future bass songs but I really dont like the annoying drop in every song in the genre.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Sep 15 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Quite an obvious example but the first one that sprung to mind - The Beatles! Their first two albums for example are WORLDS apart from the likes of the glorious 'Revolver' and 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' that would come later. They became a lot more experimental and inventive over the years following the initial standard love songs. Thank gosh for that shift in sound, I do enjoy some of their earlier material but nowhere near the extent of a lot of their later stuff.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Sep 15 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #11
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(danG @ Sep 15 2016, 10:10 PM) *
Skepta winning the Mercury Prize just reminded me of how much he's changed as an artist since he started having chart hits, and how he went from semi-popular commercial rap/dance artist to credible grime sensation.

Feel like I should point out that he started out as a credible grime artist as well tongue.gif

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Sep 15 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #12
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

but did he start out as a good one

+Quote Post
princess lotita
post Sep 15 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #13
#TittiTakeover

has/will skepta ever been good

+Quote Post
princess lotita
post Sep 15 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #14
#TittiTakeover

grammar goals

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Sep 15 2016, 10:10 PM
Post #15
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Justin getting his dick out made me re evaluate him for sure

+Quote Post
princess lotita
post Sep 15 2016, 10:12 PM
Post #16
#TittiTakeover

ALSO in terms of live vocals/performance i'm going to say lana del rey. (soz if this sint what you intended for the thread)

but like she started off with this

but now she's rlly upped her live performance, even adding backing dancers to her most recent shows!!! she seems so much happier when she performs too, doing cute lil dances and $l*t dropping etc

then of course we have my fav lana performance which shows how much her live vocals have improved

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Sep 16 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #17
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

yer biebs for me too. i enjoyed some of his stuff but everything from purpose has been 11/10

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Sep 16 2016, 07:32 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

Dare I say it, but Katy Perry? Started with an irritating novelty song, progressed to some overhyped overplayed mediocre pop nonsense around the turn of the decade...but come the 'Prism' era and I'm actually on board, yeah it's still nothing groundbreaking but for the first time I genuinely enjoy listening to some of her songs.

Two of my fave groups, the Pet Shop Boys and Erasure, seriously lost it around the early noughties with some of the worst stuff they ever released, only for both to seriously turn things around later in the decade producing tracks up with their best. Indeed some of the PSB releases of the last three years are some of the best tracks they've ever done.

And regarding Chainsmokers, their chart positions are in the reverse order of what they should be - their lowest charting (Roses) being their best, second-lowest (#Selfie) being actually kinda enjoyable, and the other two songs are boring generic bollocks that I have no time for.

+Quote Post
Cody Slayberry
post Sep 16 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #19
It's so awkward when mom and dad fight...
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Lol at "Closer" and DLMD being seen as generic even though "Roses" started that Chainsmokers trifecta

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Sep 16 2016, 10:13 PM
Post #20
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

Agreed that Justin Bieber has to be the best recent example of a turnaround in every sense of the word - commercially, reputationally, marketing wise, in terms of the quality and direction of his music. I think it's pretty phenomenal to think that the guy who'd been known in 2014 primarily for 'Baby' musically and as an irritant/delinquent otherwise would sell over a million UK copies of his next album, not to mention achieve the unprecedented singles chart dominance that he has.

Miley Cyrus comes to mind for similar reasons. The 'Can't Be Tamed' career transition didn't catch on and her star seemed in terminal decline for good while. She had another go at it and couldn't have been more outright attention-seeking with the 'Bangerz' era, and a couple of strong singles along with her huge cultural impact translated relatively well into album sales, appearing to set her up as a household name for the foreseeable future.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 12:45 AM