BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Social media blackout, Have you tried it?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Sep 26 2016, 01:03 PM
Post #1
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I am currently 48 hours into a self-imposed abstention from using Facebook & Twitter. Over the past 7 years I had barely gone a few hours without checking either of them, so for the sake of my sanity, on Saturday I logged off both of them, deleted the apps from my phones and have stayed away from both of them since. I intend to go back to them at some point, but at the moment I am aiming to stay away from them for a week, just to show to myself that I don't need to stay plugged in all of the time.

So have any of you tried staying away from social media for an extended period of time, or have thought about doing so? How did it make you feel? Do you think that you ever could go without it?

And yes, I'm not too sure if using Buzzjack counts as "cheating".
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Sep 26 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #2
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,421

I've thought about it recently as I'm probably on social media much more than I should be. I'd say my social media apps I'd need to get rid of are Facebook/Twitter/Instagram and Snapchat. The latter three are definitely not essential and I could attempt blacking those one out but Facebook is used so much for communication for all sorts of groups both at work, uni and socially that I don't think dropping that would be beneficial and I do sort of need that to survive. Maybe I could try avoid scrolling through Facebook as most of that is just crap laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Sep 26 2016, 02:24 PM
Post #3
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

👸🏼
(I was going to autoplay but I tried to do the MATURE thing for once)

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Sep 26 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #4
Merry Christmas <3
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Sounds like a really good idea, I sort of need Facebook messenger as a means of communication but the main site itself is pretty redundant to me now, but honestly I don't see it as an addictive problem or anything. I've never been hugely into twitter so nothing needs doing with that, a while back I did find I was scrolling through my news feed a little too much on my iPad so I moved the app to a different screen away from a lot of the other apps I use and it's worked, whenever I'm on Facebook now I check notifications and that's pretty much it, if I find myself still there I feel like I'm wasting time and could easily find something better to do.

+Quote Post
Slick
post Sep 26 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #5
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

I did this for Lent when I was at uni because I wanted to challenge myself and I knew it would be difficult. Back then it was only really Facebook I used, but it was constant statuses, liking, poking, tagging etc. I actually found it quite easy and freeing - other people got a little annoyed when they couldn't contact me though. I would recommend.

+Quote Post
Slick
post Sep 26 2016, 05:11 PM
Post #6
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

I probably need to try this again actually. If anything, I'm WORSE now than before.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Sep 26 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #7
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I could use the opposite, or perhaps not. I've found myself naturally drawing away from social media lately, I even stopped scrolling through FB. Instead I've been finding places to waste time in nearly every other part of the internet. Yay.

A blackout would be way too easy for me. Now if that were to include Buzzjack and Youtube and Reddit, then that'd be harder. I did it from here at the end of last month to get my dissertation finished. And that was a challenge, but there was so much more to read when I came back on and that was pretty fun.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Sep 26 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Good luck with this Brett! I'm sure it will feel refreshing.

I feel like I would have struggled majorly to give up Facebook, Twitter and Instagram a few years ago but I'd find it pretty easy these days. I used to be on them heavily but I'm finding myself not quite as invested in them as I used to be. I know I could definitely give these up for a little while. Snapchat would be quite a hard one to get rid of but that's mainly 'cause of the snapstreaks dying lmao. BuzzJack would be my hardest website to avoid for a period of time as it's definitely what I tend to visit the most these days.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Sep 26 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Sounds a good idea does Buzzjack count?

+Quote Post
Riser
post Sep 27 2016, 03:22 AM
Post #10
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

All I have is Facebook, I used to easily go a week without logging in but as my social life has dwindled I've become much more dependent on it to keep in touch with people. That said, I keep a small friends list so it doesn't take much time out of my day to scroll through my news feed. It can be such a mental drain and negative for various reasons so I can't blame anyone for feeling they need time away from it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 06:38 AM