Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First ever baby born from THREE parents~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
post Sep 27 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 13,007

Fertility doctors say the world's first baby has been born using DNA from three parents in a technique hailed as "revolutionary".

The controversial "three-parent" technique allows parents with rare genetic mutations to have healthy babies.

The baby called Abrahim, whose mother and father are Jordanian, was born in Mexico with the help of a New-York based team led by Dr John Zhang.

The mother has genes for Leigh syndrome, a fatal disorder that affects the developing nervous system.

Her son was conceived from an egg containing nuclear DNA from his parents, and mitochondrial DNA from a "second" mother - an unknown female donor.

The technique called pronuclear transfer has been approved in the UK - but this time it was altered slightly because as Muslims they were against the destruction of embryos.

Yet another fantastic advance for science/fertility! Could mean more people with genetic mutations could possibly give birth to healthy children. Wonder where else this could take us.. ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Sep 27 2016, 05:58 PM
Post #2
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

oooh seems very useful but I don't really understand how it could use both eggs?? laugh.gif Have they proved genetically that it is indeed the child of three parents or could it be only the fathers and the unknown females? ohmy.gif

Good news for those in polyamorous relationships too I guess happy.gif
+Quote Post
post Sep 27 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #3
Macaroni Parfait Farmer
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 67

A fancy lifetime movie directed by Oprah coming soon. Bookmark me.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th October 2016 - 11:33 PM