BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cycling long distances, No, 10 miles is not a long distance, you lazy people
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
What is the longest distance you've cycled?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
Taylor Jago
post Oct 11 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #1
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

Cycling. Most of us enjoy this pleasant activity, particularly when, like me, you have the advantage of having a greenway / cycling road right at your disposal less than a mile away from your house.

But while most of us regularly take the bicycle out for a ride, some of us are even more adventurous/brave/nutted and decide to cycle distances unachievable in a way, i.e. go on a cycling trip.

And when I say a long distance, I don't mean Stratford to Chelsea, I mean Stoke-on-Trent to Colchester. Or something in that realm.

Anyway, what is the longest distance you've cycled? Have you ever been on a cycling trip? If so, did you plan rooms for each night or did you camp? How was the experience?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Oct 11 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #2
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I cycled from John O'Groats to Land's End (in total 1906 km)! It took quite a while, but it was an amazing experience that I thoroughly enjoyed. Cornwall is a LOT more hilly than I expected it to be.
A lot of the stop offs were hostels but I occasionally stayed B&Bs which I had sought out to provide a safe space for bicycles - one on top of the Yorkshire Dales had a sauna inside the room. : )

+Quote Post
Weiss Schnee
post Oct 11 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #3
賞賛 涼宮ハルヒ
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

A specific question that I have a good answer to, yay! magic.gif

About 30 miles, across half of Cornwall, as alternative transport to a place where we did camp, but meeting up with family who'd driven. (and apparently impress them so much by spending 6 hours doing that that they'd regularly remind me & Jacob that we'd done it) That was a while ago but I've been on cycle trails recently and if I get a better bike, would love to do more like that.

Land's End to John O'Groats would be a good one if I ever worked up the courage to do that.

+Quote Post
WiseManFromLeeds
post Oct 11 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #4
You don't see many angels on night shift
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

One side of Centre Parcs to the other side of Centre Parcs.

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Oct 11 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #5
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

longest I've been on was about 7.5 miles, I'd like to go on a longer one someday.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 11 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

I did the annual London to Brighton ride one year.

+Quote Post
Taylor Jago
post Oct 11 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #7
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

So far, to Neufchatel-en-Bray and back, so 32 km (20 miles) in total, in August this year. However, should I get my way, that record won't stand very long.

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Oct 11 2016, 06:12 PM) *
I cycled from John O'Groats to Land's End (in total 1906 km)! It took quite a while, but it was an amazing experience that I thoroughly enjoyed. Cornwall is a LOT more hilly than I expected it to be.
A lot of the stop offs were hostels but I occasionally stayed B&Bs which I had sought out to provide a safe space for bicycles - one on top of the Yorkshire Dales had a sauna inside the room. : )

1906 km! Can I ask if you had to do the same distance to go back?

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Oct 11 2016, 10:22 PM
Post #8
Prefer not to sleigh
Member No.: 21,005

I can't Remember but I miss having a bike tbh

+Quote Post
Harve
post Oct 11 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #9
not Louis Theroux
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

The most I have done was in July 2013: 200km in 48 hours roughly around the perimeter of the Peak District. It involved going to the UK's highest village and it hurt.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Oct 11 2016, 11:18 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Oh gosh my lengthiest cycling distance would be something pathetic and not a patch on the anecdotes here laugh.gif I LOVED riding my bike a few years ago (and it was a good way to make myself feel less guilty about consuming a lot of chocolate, as I had cycled to get it from the shop kink.gif) ~ really should get back into it as it's a really fun way to get fit.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Oct 11 2016, 11:30 PM
Post #11
I'm a 90s baaaaaaby
Member No.: 19,534

No, 10 miles is not a long distance, you lazy people

Well I just did my first 11-mile ride last weekend so I guess I'm officially long-distance magic.gif

I'm still new to this and can't say I care to spend more than a couple hours on my bike, but maybe I'll get adventurous at some point. I have to drive to another town to get to the nearest bike trail so it's a hassle to stick the bike rack on my car every time I want to use it.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Oct 12 2016, 05:55 AM
Post #12
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Taylor Jago @ Oct 11 2016, 08:13 PM) *
So far, to Neufchatel-en-Bray and back, so 32 km (20 miles) in total, in August this year. However, should I get my way, that record won't stand very long.
1906 km! Can I ask if you had to do the same distance to go back?

I kind of cheated, just hopped on the train with my bike at Penzance to get home. (I was pretty knackered by that stage).

The most remote bit was round by Altnaharra where the road goes for around 30km and you don't see another person but you do see plenty of red deer - absolutely beautiful though. I've attached the map of my route below and the cycle route that goes over Drumochter Summit which many Scottish posters will know is the very high pass that gets very snowy in the winter!

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Oct 12 2016, 07:51 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Has anyone ever done a cycle ride for charity?

+Quote Post
Merry ChrisMears
post Oct 12 2016, 09:13 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

I do 100km rides a lot, I love cycling! My daily to work and back routine is 8km.

+Quote Post
Jacob Marley
post Oct 12 2016, 09:44 AM
Post #15
Jacob Alan
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Oct 11 2016, 07:12 PM) *
Cornwall is a LOT more hilly than I expected it to be.
Someone understands. cheer.gif

Yeah I did that "long" trip Iz mentioned ages ago - 2011 I believe- which was pretty tough going considering at the time we both had pretty old mountain bikes and there were so many hills (that said it's nothing on John O'Groats to Land's End of course laugh.gif ) and until really recently- so throughout the last academic year- I'd been doing hell of a lot of cycling on a weekly basis, I used to cycle to college around 2-3 times a week (at one point 4 times) which was about 5 miles each way, obviously nothing huge but it was a regular thing and it was bloody hilly. It saved so much on bus fares and in fact it became such a prominent part of my routine I got a new hybrid bike for Christmas to replace my flagging mountain bike.

Two of my housemates last year also used to cycle a lot (they often cycled to college too, we motivated each other tongue.gif) so we'd go on semi regular cycling trips for fun just exploring the area. Now I don't cycle all that much. maybe once every few weeks, because without a regular destination or friends to do it with I find I'm lacking motivation but I might go out this weekend if the weather's nice, see if I can try a route I've not been on before or something.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Oct 12 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #16
I hate pans
Member No.: 16,660

The mongest bikeride I do are 20 minutes when going put and 20 minutes when going to uni every day :')

+Quote Post
angel_lotita
post Oct 12 2016, 10:13 AM
Post #17
#TittiTakeover
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I can't even ride a bike

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Oct 12 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #18
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(princess_lotita @ Oct 12 2016, 11:13 AM) *
I can't even ride a bike

Me neither lol (I could when I was a kid but then I didn't cycle for years and the next time I attempted it I immediately fell off :') it is a lie that you never forget how to ride a bike)

+Quote Post
Christmattias :/
post Oct 12 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #19
show ur id
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Oct 12 2016, 11:33 AM) *
Me neither lol (I could when I was a kid but then I didn't cycle for years and the next time I attempted it I immediately fell off :') it is a lie that you never forget how to ride a bike)

Basically this

I was able to for a short while, then nah. I haven't attempted it again for years though, I'm sure I could pick it up again with effort.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Oct 12 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

It can depend on balance and fine motor skills with riding a bike. Q

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2016 - 05:57 AM