BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whats Up?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Oct 25 2016, 09:43 PM
Post #1
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Okay so like I feel a bit odd doing this but I wanted to provide a place here where we can all catch up and get the kinda general idea of what we all feel regarding the sites current state (if that makes sense) unsure.gif

What I mean is, it's quiet. This happened last year after the rate and I'm guessing its the same every year, what with people going back to work, uni, school, whatever during September. It's nearly November though, Halloween, Christmas, New Year all fast approaching and it's still pretty much dead. Is it just me that thinks there's maybe more to this than everyone just being busy? I have fallen out of touch a little bit over the past few months, although I'm still posting as much as usual, I just don't have the same level of enthusiasm, in all areas across the forum. Is this the case with anyone else? Why is that though, like is there a reason as to why you don't want to put as much time into BuzzJack? What do you want to change around here? What would make you more engaged with the site again?

From my own point of view, I just think the positive and supportive atmosphere we had last year, especially in the lounge has been flipped on its head and now its just a rather negative space and people don't really care about taking the time to interact with one another. Even the likes of plug.dj, gone are the times when there'd be like twenty of us on there all chatting away, sharing music on a nightly basis, well into the early hours of the morning. The rate was quite rough this year, I was quite harsh myself but during pre-rate time, the atmosphere I felt on the site was tense and divided and I honestly thought that kind of rate was what we needed to clear the air and get back on track, so to speak. Is the rate to blame for kinda wrecking things? Maybe I'm completely off though and I'm the only one thinking this and there's nothing abnormal about the way we're all using the site. I think there's too much focus on what people are doing wrong though, people who do put time and effort into the site aren't getting the recognition/response they should be and little things are being made into larger issues than they need to be. It's like some of us have forgot how to talk to one another without it being a moan, complaint or bitching session. I don't think that's new though, that's something that probably went on well before this years rate, I've just been more blind to, or maybe even partially involved in it than I should have been. I've just taken a massive step back this week and it's got me thinking, which is why this thread has popped up out of nowhere laugh.gif

I really value the community within this site though and the friendships I've made with a lot of you which is why I feel the need to make a thread, as it would be such a shame for it all to just fizzle away. We're all good at coming together over a common issue but a bad habit a lot of us have is keeping things we're not happy with bottled up all year to use as reasons for scores in our rate commentary, so now is the time to voice them tbh. I know I keep mentioning the rate but that's what I feel is the main driving force in all of this. It's like it's left a proper aftermath in the lounge unsure.gif

eyyyyy discuss angel.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aquamaqueesha
post Oct 25 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #2
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

f*** you

+Quote Post
Aquamaqueesha
post Oct 25 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #3
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

bitch

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Oct 25 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #4
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

You raise a good point, it may just be that people are back to work/uni and it probably doesn't help that a lot of the normally very active members like say Lotti, Jade, yourself, me, have moved to another, harder year of uni (or started, in Lotti's case) and have that initial rush of work and getting used to a larger workload. Perhaps that's always the case around this time and we don't realise but for me it has never been this bad. Maybe it's just because this year I found a great "group" (for want of a better word that isn't the dread c word x) of people who are good friends and we were all very active but we've got a busier schedule now, but I do feel like the site is just in a lull, not much activity from anyone, not much going on that's very exciting. Plug.dj is an excellent example, it's not even as fun to go on there anymore because people just don't speak on there or don't come on at all, and that's a shame after the rollercoaster of losing it and getting it back tongue.gif

But what you say is exactly how I feel, pretty much. I am busier lately yes but even in my free time I feel like I don't care to check Buzzjack anywhere near as much as I used to because it feels like nothing much will happen. That's not to say I don't care about the site, I do so it's not like I feel like I'm growing away from it but there's a lack of anything going on. I thought the rate would improve the site but, whilst that may not be the cause, it's around about since then the site has gone downhill by and large.

+Quote Post
Tinsel Boy
post Oct 25 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #5
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Personally, I've been without Internet for 32 days thus far which accounts for my reduced activity.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Oct 25 2016, 10:07 PM
Post #6
Bovril Lasagna
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 5,572

There defo is something foul in the air but it's been going on long before the rate. Certainly for me it's given me a massive wake up call. There's always gonna be people who like you for being you and then others who want you to conform to their idea of what should be done and sadly those are the ones ruling the roost.
I feel I only log in these days for the Movie forum (and bjsc, but that's getting utterly dire now too) I've seen myself getting annoyed way too easily outside the few areas I like and I can just see myself going back to how i was during rate time, feeling like shit.
In all honesty I kinda hate this site right now laugh.gif It was bad before the rate, got even worse during it and now after the durst has settled, i'm starting to see more and
more aspects that make me want to bugger off. The only reason I come back is the Movie forum, UV is doing so well and it is the only place on the site that has not been
infected by stupid in jokes between people, spam, squabbles etc. People go around acting like bratty children with nothing better to do even though they would be the first to moan if someone else did something annoying.

The Lounge itself is just a shithole. Looking through some of the most recent/active threads "spinning appreciation" "usb sockets" and any number of drunklotti or her rabid followers threads makes me long for the days of BJ a few years ago. Yes I post in some of these but the way they take over and spread is mind numbing. It's making me get annoyed more easily by some people I hold in high regard. Going into some threads and seeing literally 6 pages of the same post by the same poster, what's the f***ing point? To me it screams "oh i've become popular so i can get away with it and i have people to kiss my feet and copy what i do"

After the rate i've begun to notice certain members beginning to act in ways that they would mark down others for in the rate and seeing certain people who felt bullied suddenly feeling like they have the right and responsibility to stick their noses in anywhere's there's something akin to a hostile discussion.

I've made it known already but I think a mod shake up is needed. There are plenty who do amazing jobs and it shows in their forums/threads etc. but then there are some who have done f*** all while members who are not mods are the ones making the worthwhile threads/artwork for things. Whether thats down to having a busy life or just being plain useless remains to be seen I guess.

Yeah I'm sure people will read this and think "he's got a nerve" but whatever. Yes I argue with people, but I'm not going to sit by if someone says something annoying and I don't see why I should bite my tongue when other members get away with worse.

tl;dr #Regina4moviemod #sebby2017

I see that toby has proved a lot of my points in this very thread, how convenient.

And in regards to plug, I never really log in anymore because it's lost its fun value. People either try to regiment it, sit there and don't speak or they ignore everyone bar one person. What's the point?

This post has been edited by Regina: Oct 25 2016, 10:10 PM

+Quote Post
🏆award🏆inary
post Oct 25 2016, 10:12 PM
Post #7
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I have a suggestion, more people should invest into each other's personal charts.

I just spent the last hour commenting on 20-30 personal charts from members in these past 7 days, in some cases I'm the only one whose commented, in other cases there are many comments, but perhaps more of an effort should be made by others to post a few select comments on people's personal charts each week so it can be more of an interactive side to the forum, as I believe personal charts are the reasons some members only come onto this site.

Plus, there is a side project called Crownnote for anyone whose not yet discovered it, and it should be incorporated somehow into BuzzJack I feel.

That's my opinion, but as you all know I'm relatively new around here anyway. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post Oct 25 2016, 10:13 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I wouldn't say the site is any quieter than usual at this time of year! If you look at the Posters' Chart from this time last year then there was almost the same number of posts in The Lounge that week compared to this week for instance. There is always this post-rate lull! I for one know I'm posting less at the moment because I am getting numerous assignments every week. But you do make some good points here for sure. I too agree that the community feel of the site was far more prevalent last year. I guess plug was a huge part of that, but of course everyone getting involved and having a laugh in The Lounge too. I will try and contribute here as much as i can despite busy times as I still love this place and the people here. I guess people have left, new people have come and the dynamics have just changed. I'm sure this is just the usual post-rate lull though and that things will get back into gear soon. We just need to keep making discussion flow, and this is a good start Lindsey! You missing the positive and supportive aspect of here is something that grabbed me from this thread. I mean it doesn't have to be sunshine and rainbows but at the end of the day we're a community and there for each other. I feel like we would all come together still if anyone needed to share something, so I hope people do continue to share things and use this place as escapism.

It's a real shame that the rate changed your view of this place, and for others if more people feel this way too. Lots of people commented at the results stage that it felt great to celebrate our posters here, and that's the kind of feel that we should hold on to. As you say you've made great friends through this site and I am sure every single one of us has. I always love hearing what people have to say on here and as long as that carries on I still look forward to logging on each day. I guess as I would usually say, never shy away from making a topic or contributing to something. We just need to keep discussing and building on things. Plus anyone can come to one of us Mods if you feel like you need to regarding anything. I have listened to people, helped out and accepted lots of ideas and treat you all exactly the same. So anyone can come to me (or any of us) whenever.

Thanks for sharing these feelings, always good to get things off our chests and come together. Idek what this response was, probably just a bunch of incoherent feelings laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Oct 25 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #9
Bovril Lasagna
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(Jade-o-Lantern @ Oct 25 2016, 11:13 PM) *
I wouldn't say the site is any quieter than usual at this time of year! If you look at the Posters' Chart from this time last year then there was almost the same number of posts in The Lounge that week compared to this week for instance. There is always this post-rate lull! I for one know I'm posting less at the moment because I am getting numerous assignments every week. But you do make some good points here for sure. I too agree that the community feel of the site was far more prevalent last year. I guess plug was a huge part of that, but of course everyone getting involved and having a laugh in The Lounge too. I will try and contribute here as much as i can despite busy times as I still love this place and the people here. I guess people have left, new people have come and the dynamics have just changed. I'm sure this is just the usual post-rate lull though and that things will get back into gear soon. We just need to keep making discussion flow, and this is a good start Lindsey! You missing the positive and supportive aspect of here is something that grabbed me from this thread. I mean it doesn't have to be sunshine and rainbows but at the end of the day we're a community and there for each other. I feel like we would all come together still if anyone needed to share something, so I hope people do continue to share things and use this place as escapism.

It's a real shame that the rate changed your view of this place, and for others if more people feel this way too. Lots of people commented at the results stage that it felt great to celebrate our posters here, and that's the kind of feel that we should hold on to. As you say you've made great friends through this site and I am sure every single one of us has. I always love hearing what people have to say on here and as long as that carries on I still look forward to logging on each day. I guess as I would usually say, never shy away from making a topic or contributing to something. We just need to keep discussing and building on things. Plus anyone can come to one of us Mods if you feel like you need to regarding anything. I have listened to people, helped out and accepted lots of ideas and treat you all exactly the same. So anyone can come to me (or any of us) whenever.

Thanks for sharing these feelings, always good to get things off our chests and come together. Idek what this response was, probably just a bunch of incoherent feelings laugh.gif

Have you seen the posts though? laugh.gif Quality over quantity is an unknown concept these days.

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Oct 25 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #10
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

Personal charts are a good way to get to know people if you're a new member but unfortunately, if you're anything like me, the effort of updating it regularly can be a bit of a stretch, especially if your your favourite songs don't change from week to week laugh.gif I found myself basically just reordering the same songs on the three occasions where I attempted it but you do make a good point, I should go in there more often, even just to check up on what people are charting even if i'm not contributing with a chart of my own happy.gif

Yea Grant, I agree that a mod shake up is needed, it just makes sense to have the people who are most active and contributing the most at the head of the forum rather than people who don't have the time or desire to do what is expected as part of the moderating team. New moderators will have new ideas, keeping the forum evolving and not getting stuck in the same rut I've seen a number of forums fall victim to imo (non biased ofc wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Weiss Schnee
post Oct 25 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #11
賞賛 涼宮ハルヒ
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

This time of year always brings up these sorts of feelings, I've been a little distant even though I haven't been as busy as I'd like, and I don't think that's to do with anyone here, I've just wanted to do other things. But the thing is: rate comes, everyone lets out all of what they feel in a huge wave of emotions and it takes a while for things to get back to normal. For what it's worth I've thought the site is going pretty well at the moment. For me, the rate let a whole lot of things out and I feel pretty at ease with everyone at the moment and in no way would I be put off from contributing, I'm doing the same as I always have.

Some of the spamming is a bit annoying but it's not hugely bothersome. For me at least.

There is something to be said about a mod shakeup though, I'm going to try and use this topic to turn something around on that front at least, Regina, it has been a little sleepy behind-the-scenes since the rate. It often is from September through to November but I'll see what I can do.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Oct 25 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #12
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

QUOTE(HΞDA FROM HΞLL @ Oct 25 2016, 11:18 PM) *
Personal charts are a good way to get to know people if you're a new member but unfortunately, if you're anything like me, the effort of updating it regularly can be a bit of a stretch, especially if your your favourite songs don't change from week to week laugh.gif I found myself basically just reordering the same songs on the three occasions where I attempted it but you do make a good point, I should go in there more often, even just to check up on what people are charting even if i'm not contributing with a chart of my own happy.gif

Yea Grant, I agree that a mod shake up is needed, it just makes sense to have the people who are most active and contributing the most at the head of the forum rather than people who don't have the time or desire to do what is expected as part of the moderating team. New moderators will have new ideas, keeping the forum evolving and not getting stuck in the same rut I've seen a number of forums fall victim to imo (non biased ofc wink.gif)

#lindsey4indiemod re-ignites NOW

+Quote Post
🏆award🏆inary
post Oct 25 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #13
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Make me a mod! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
LexC
post Oct 25 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #14
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I definitely feel like summer's usually such a busy period on here that there's always a bit of a slump pretty much until Christmas/New Year time (or at least that's how I remember it). Idk if I was really what you'd properly call "active" on here before but I'm pretty much going through the same stuff Lindsey mentioned in the opening post with Uni starting up again and being mad busy (in my case also with a 90 minute commute thrown in so don't even get me started) and from what I gather I think most people have probably done just that so I guess all of us are partly responsible for the site getting a little dead.

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Oct 25 2016, 10:36 PM
Post #15
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

I'm glad that it does seem to just be a case of people being hella busy tbh laugh.gif

I just thought I may as well throw this thread out there and check though :') Thanks for putting my mind a bit more at ease wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Oct 25 2016, 10:37 PM
Post #16
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(awardinary @ Oct 25 2016, 11:29 PM) *
Make me a mod! laugh.gif

#AwardinaryForPersonalChartsMod2017

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 25 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #17
Commentless 7
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

My reasons for being inactive recently are that I've been teacher training since September and that is INTENSIVE and takes an awful lot out of me and really doesn't give me much online time except to just have a quick, casual browse at the end of the day (and I dare say it'll be the same again until Christmas after this week). I like to believe that's true for everyone as it's a busy/sometimes scary time of year for this where you need to give real life your full attention, this topic happens like clockwork usually at this time of year, and honestly things improved then and I still think things will improve just the same here gradually, particularly around December with the Awards and Christmas break and all. Like others have said, the rate in late summer is super active and in this case, pretty brutal, the aftermath is just traditionally more calm.

One thing I do agree with is that I come home and open the Lounge and see barely any new topics in the Lounge and the same old jokes and discussions that become circular and go nowhere. We are definitely in need of some more inclusive and wider discussions to keep the community going in these quiet times. I have alas been a bit short of inspiration recently, but if all of us that share these concerns are pro-active with contributing, starting topics etc. when we can, we can still make the best of this lull.

If it's still like this Mid-December then there is a problem, but for now, I think this is just standard procedure.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Oct 25 2016, 10:39 PM
Post #18
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

Also, not to get all "poor me I'm an old person" but there is a bit of a sense of not really being that close to most of the people who are posting the most in here at the moment so I don't really feel like I have the energy or a real tangible connection to what's going on so I mostly don't post much. That's obviously just me being an anti-social old hag though so feel free to ignore me!

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Oct 25 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #19
Prefer not to sleigh
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Regina @ Oct 25 2016, 11:07 PM) *
The Lounge itself is just a shithole. Looking through some of the most recent/active threads "spinning appreciation"
You bitch mad.gif laugh.gif

I have definitely noticed that plug has lost its regular pluggers that it had at the beginning. I know we lost a lot after it was shut down as dubtrack wasn't as good but even after the revival only a small group go on it unless it's a listen through. But with everything they lose popularity and you can't force people to come on laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Oct 25 2016, 10:49 PM
Post #20
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I think the problem with plug is because it's never busy anymore, barely anyone wants to come on (and some people have lives outside of buzzjack too). When there are sessions it only ever seems to be the collective gathering of a few dance music fans or a few pop fans - with the exception of BJSC listenthroughs.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2016 - 10:20 PM