BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kent Union's Black History Month sponsored by....Zayn Malik, eh?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jingle Burbes
post Oct 26 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

It seems Uni of Kent's SU decided to take the bizarre decision of having Zayn Malik and Sadiq Khan as two of their six poster people for their Black History Month campaign. Yes really.

As you can imagine there has been a huge backlash against them and they have since apologised but people are still raging on social media about it and are calling them a national embarrassment etc.

I honestly don't know what even possessed them to do this. Who in the SU team honestly thought it would be a good idea to put Zayn Malik and Saqid Khan on posters for Black History Month. I almost feel it undermines the purpose of Black History Month. The official twitter page for BHM even pointed out, imagine if this was in reverse and black people were put on Asian Heritage Month posters. I haven't read to much about it, but apparently their justification was something to do with recognising political movements about race in general.

If anyone wants to see the offending posters, they've on the Telegraph's article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2016/...malik-and-sadi/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Oct 26 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #2
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

huh.gif

yeah it indeed seems very odd... Black History Month is meant to celebrate achievements of African-Americans, not just anyone who isn't white.

hopefully the backlash just gets aimed at the union and not the university itself as I'm a student there

+Quote Post
Tinasha
post Oct 26 2016, 03:08 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,931

I used to do some work at Kent Union when I was a student there so I'm ashamed!

+Quote Post
Jingle Burbes
post Oct 26 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Dannoween @ Oct 26 2016, 04:05 PM) *
huh.gif

yeah it indeed seems very odd... Black History Month is meant to celebrate achievements of African-Americans, not just anyone who isn't white.

hopefully the backlash just gets aimed at the union and not the university itself as I'm a student there

It seems to be aimed at the union rather than uni itself. Have people at your uni taken much notice of it?

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Oct 26 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #5
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Saying Black History Month is about 'African-Americans' isn't a lot better tbh... kink.gif

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Oct 26 2016, 04:51 PM
Post #6
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I thought 'African-Americans' was still the most politically correct term, rather than 'Black people', but it seems there's no definitively 'correct' way.

Wikipedia says it's a celebration of African-American history anyhow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_History_Month

+Quote Post
Jacob Marley
post Oct 26 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #7
Jacob Alan
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

I think the point is 'American' sort of excludes a lot of people, what about British black people or any other nationality? Just the term black people works a lot better for descriptive purposes. I thought 'African American' wasn't so popular now as a term anyway, Italian Americans and Irish Americans are rarely referred to as such and I've never heard the term 'European American'.

As for Black History month itself I find myself agreeing with Morgan Freeman on the matter.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Oct 27 2016, 12:11 AM
Post #8
I was starting to worry if I was living in a simulation.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I think this is more on British Black History Month rather than the Anerican one which isn't until February.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2016 - 02:38 PM