BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clocks, 🕐🕑🕒🕓🕔🕕🕖㈢
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
❄️awardinicy❄️
post Oct 27 2016, 10:52 PM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

If you live in the UK, when do the clocks go back an hour and can someone give me the reason for this pointless custom? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Silas
post Oct 27 2016, 10:55 PM
Post #2
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

This weekend!

Daylight savings time is supposed to have some benefits for having the extra hour of daylight after work or some bullshit. I think it's completely bloody pointless. In June/July it's light past 10pm, like what does this extra hour actually add.

+Quote Post
UltraBasicWitch
post Oct 27 2016, 10:56 PM
Post #3
Cause I'll Be There To Carry You Home 💜
Member No.: 20,947
   No Gallery Pics

Ugh.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Oct 27 2016, 10:59 PM
Post #4
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Not a fan of it getting darker earlier so not really welcoming the clocks changing.

+Quote Post
Jingle Burbes
post Oct 27 2016, 11:04 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Silas @ Oct 27 2016, 11:55 PM) *
This weekend!
Daylight savings time is supposed to have some benefits for having the extra hour of daylight after work or some bullshit. I think it's completely bloody pointless. In June/July it's light past 10pm, like what does this extra hour actually add.

I thought it's to stop it being too light in the mornings during Summer?

+Quote Post
Weiss Schnee
post Oct 27 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #6
賞賛 涼宮ハルヒ
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

I love long summer nights, I wouldn't get rid of daylight savings time. It ends up being that you end up seeing more sunlight when you want to see it and when it starts getting too dark in the mornings, there's a bit of relief as we go back. I think it works well for our needs. Think of it the other way, if we were on GMT all year we'd have sunrises nearing 4am in the summer and that would be... less convenient for sleep.

If we had to stay on one all year, I'd pick BST, but that's because I like having lighter evenings.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 27 2016, 11:08 PM
Post #7
Commentless 7
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

We get an extra hour in bed over the weekend so I'm content with daylight savings time <3

+Quote Post
angel_lotita
post Oct 27 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #8
#TittiTakeover
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,777

the reason it started was in WWI to give the farmers an extra hour of work kink.gif we just haven't left it since I believe!

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Oct 27 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #9
Prefer not to sleigh
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Silas @ Oct 27 2016, 11:55 PM) *
This weekend!

I think it was implemented in the olden days for agricultural reasons which I may have read somewhere, it seems to have been a "tradition" of sorts ever since!

+Quote Post
Slade
post Oct 27 2016, 11:12 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(gothic_lotita @ Oct 28 2016, 12:11 AM) *
the reason it started was in WWI to give the farmers an extra hour of work kink.gif we just haven't left it since I believe!

Yeah this was always the reason I knew as well!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Oct 28 2016, 02:52 AM
Post #11
I'm a 90s baaaaaaby
Member No.: 19,534

Daylight Savings Time is amazing, especially when it ends and you get the extra hour of sleep. That extra hour of sunlight might seem pointless in the summer but it really comes in handy in March/April and September/October when there's time to get something done outside after work before it gets dark.

Also, be sure to check your smoke alarm batteries x

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Oct 28 2016, 03:41 AM
Post #12
I was starting to worry if I was living in a simulation.
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(UltraBasicWitch @ Oct 27 2016, 03:56 PM) *
Ugh.
Is it because the cocks are going back this time and not forward? kink.gif kink.gif

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Oct 28 2016, 04:47 AM
Post #13
On This Day in P!nk History...
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 590

I love when the clocks go back in October it means it's almost winter 😃 I'm just glad I don't work Saturday nights or it would mean an extra hour at work instead of an extra hour in bed 😂

+Quote Post
Frosty Xmas Baps
post Oct 28 2016, 05:35 AM
Post #14
Is your muffin buttered?
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Izzy Dead People @ Oct 27 2016, 11:06 PM) *
I love long summer nights, I wouldn't get rid of daylight savings time. It ends up being that you end up seeing more sunlight when you want to see it and when it starts getting too dark in the mornings, there's a bit of relief as we go back. I think it works well for our needs. Think of it the other way, if we were on GMT all year we'd have sunrises nearing 4am in the summer and that would be... less convenient for sleep.

If we had to stay on one all year, I'd pick BST, but that's because I like having lighter evenings.

In the north sunrise is earliee than that and in far Scotland sun barely sets sooo ...

+Quote Post
Frosty Xmas Baps
post Oct 28 2016, 05:37 AM
Post #15
Is your muffin buttered?
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Not looking forwars to losing an hour of sunleet in the evenings!! Darl at 5 instead of 6.

+Quote Post
Taylor Jago
post Oct 28 2016, 05:50 AM
Post #16
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

I like the extra hour in bed on Sunday morning, but I'm not looking forward to school finishing at night.

+Quote Post
mAddy Xmas!
post Oct 28 2016, 05:54 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 2,666

I guess it's good for people who wake up early morning not in the dark!!!

+Quote Post
Silas
post Oct 28 2016, 06:36 AM
Post #18
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(Izzy Dead People @ Oct 28 2016, 12:06 AM) *

I can't stress enough just how much of a disaster BST during the winter would be for Scotland.

In Dundee, the top of the central belt, sunrise is 8:45am and sunset is 3:35pm at it's narrowest point. That means it's just about light as kids go to/from school and as people go to work. Push it back an hour and all that is done in darkness increasing RTAs

We neve leave twilight in midsummer either so it never actually gets properly dark. It's a complete waste of time for the central belt of Scotland and the effect is only worse as you head towards aberdeen and the northern isles (Kirkwall in Orkney gets barely 6 hours of daylight mid winter and 18.5 hours midsummer.)

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/dundee

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Oct 28 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #19
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

In 1905, independently from Hudson, British builder William Willett suggested setting the clocks ahead 20 minutes on each of the four Sundays in April, and switching them back by the same amount on each of the four Sundays in September, a total of eight time switches per year.

Willett’s Daylight Saving plan caught the attention of Member of Parliament, Robert Pearce, who introduced a bill to the House of Commons in February 1908. The first Daylight Saving Bill was drafted in 1909, presented to Parliament several times and examined by a select committee. However, the idea was opposed by many, especially farmers, so the bill was never made into a law. Willett died in 1915, the year before the United Kingdom started using DST in May 1916.

Germany became the first country to introduce DST when clocks were turned ahead 1 hour on April 30, 1916. The rationale was to minimize the use of artificial lighting in order to save fuel for the war effort during World War I. The idea was quickly followed by the United Kingdom and many other countries, including France. Many countries reverted back to standard time after World War I, and it wasn’t until the next World War that DST made its return in most of Europe.

+Quote Post
Tinsel Boy
post Oct 28 2016, 08:46 AM
Post #20
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I will appreciate the extra hour this weekend but my issue is that they take it back at one of the busiest times of the year for me when I really need it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th December 2016 - 10:29 AM