BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intelligence
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Christmattias :/
post Oct 30 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #1
show ur id
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Another topic that's been swirling around spin.gif

I was watching a video by someone recently who was talking about how his biggest insecurity is his perception of himself as being "not intelligent enough" when compared to the people he interacted with, and I found it surprising because the guy I'm talking about always seemed clearly very intelligent to me and I always enjoyed listening to him speak partly because of this.

So it got me wondering. Do you consider yourself an intelligent person? Are you attracted to intelligence in others?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Oct 30 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #2
I was starting to worry if I was living in a simulation.
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Oh god, I have this problem too, ESPECIALLY here. I think that there is an intimidation factor to intellect and if someone says something really smart, the natural reaction might be "okay, how am I going to build off from that/top that?" I've seen a lot of insightful posts here and sometimes after that, all I can offer is a lack of words because I don't know what else to say without sounding either dumb or redundant.

+Quote Post
Christmattias :/
post Oct 30 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #3
show ur id
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I have this problem as well sometimes, where I'll be thinking someone will bring up something in conversation that I don't know enough about that I'll feel I should know more about. It's not really something to freak out too much about though, and that's not to say someone isn't intelligent really, they're just not clued up on that subject. There's different types of intelligence too - I've taken those multiple intelligence tests online and my highest results tend to be linguistic, musical and intrapersonal (not to be confused with interpersonal which I'm... not as good at). Maybe I should find a good one and link it here thinking.gif

And yeah I'm definitely attracted to intelligence to a certain degree. You mentioned insightful posts Cody, and that's like one of my favourite things to immerse myself in on here.

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Oct 30 2016, 09:04 PM
Post #4
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Idk tbh I wouldn't say I'm insecure about my own intelligence as I know that there's different types of intelligence, it's not all about being book smart or being good at exams etc. As for being attracted to intelligent people, it depends on the individual, as again, there's different types of intelligence, being passionate about the things they love and are good at is more important I think happy.gif

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Oct 30 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #5
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Yes I consider myself intelligent. I find it a great quality in the opposite sex too. I can't properly go out with girls unless they at least have some intelligence, nothing worse than speaking to people who are dumb.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Oct 30 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I'd like to think I at least have a bit of intelligence to me. I am certainly not as intelligent as I wish I could be, however. I wish that I could engage in intellectual debate more confidently and that I was more knowledgeable in many different areas for instance. Even with people on here, I sometimes read well crafted posts and wish that I could conduct myself in such a way.

Anyway, I won't be too hard on myself like I usually am in self-reflection threads laugh.gif It's hard to really define 'intelligence' but I think I can be good at things when I put my mind to it. As I said before, I wish I was more intelligent but it's not something I'm hung up on at all.

As for others, intelligence is a good quality for sure. And it's definitely something that I admire a lot. But that doesn't really make or break someone for me. There are many different good qualities to be had and that's just one of 'em.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Oct 30 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #7
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

There is literally nothing incredibly intelligent about me laugh.gif I feel when I talk my vocabulary is really basic despite being able to talk quite fancy in essays and stuff.

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Oct 30 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,265
   No Gallery Pics

I am probably more intelligent than I think I am, which lead me to reject the university route at 18 before returning three years later. I always think my accent, the way I speak, image and interests disqualify me from appearing clever and I don't naturally know a lot of things but I think I'm a quick learner. An example of this is my first History assignment at university... I thought I had achieved a relatively mediocre mark until I spoke to my classmates. laugh.gif

Any potential girl in my life must be at least slightly intelligent. I find I can bounce off them a lot easier which puts us both at ease. Like Rooney, I switch off from girls who come across dumb even if they are very attractive!

+Quote Post
Silas
post Oct 30 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #9
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

There's so many different kinds of smarts. Intelligence can be a very attractive quality, but it can also be a raging turn off as well like when they act like they're smarter than you and start talking down to you.

I am truly awful at spelling and grammar. Had specially lessons at high school for my spelling and am basically mildly dyslexic. You'd never know if you spoke to me. My written and verbal communications are just worlds apart. I'm also a shit hot reader. Because of my horrific spelling there is a lot of time when I feel like I'm not really that smart, I'm just really good at playing to my strengths and that giving the perception that I'm smarter than I am. Probably got a lot to do with the self-confidence vacuum i'm currently experiencing.

If I'm not being harsh on myself, I'm a pretty smart guy. I did well book smart wise until midway through Uni when it all came about Essays and I started to seriously struggle. I breezed through my professional qualification doing much less studying than I really should have, and way less than everyone else I know did. There are somethings i'm naturally quite good at. I've got a very logical and strategic brain so Business and Accounting are major strengths because of that. I seem to be able to retain random bits of information really well.

idk. It's really confusing being both quite smart and monumentally stupid at the same time. (I daily have to rework entire paragraphs because I can't spell the word I wanted to use and google is still laughing at my attempt to spell it after Microsoft Word mocked me.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Oct 30 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #10
I hate pans
Member No.: 16,660

I come across hella stupid, I'm sure. But I really don't give a damn, I'm good at what I do sooooo

+Quote Post
mr_pmt
post Oct 30 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #11
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I would actually consider myself quite an intelligent person, but I have very little in the way of common sense most of the time.

+Quote Post
Snaking Stevens
post Oct 30 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #12
Every snowsnake is unique
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

I am intelligent yet not intelligent.

I suppose I am intelligent in that I went to university and managed to get a 2:1.

Unintelligent in that I didn't realise the numerical code followed by confirmations meant BJSC90. Despite I saw that code before for the Queen Room thread and realised what it was. Leading to BJ Moyntain not being in the contest.

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Oct 30 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,265
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(mr_pmt @ Oct 30 2016, 10:30 PM) *
I would actually consider myself quite an intelligent person, but I have very little in the way of common sense most of the time.

I agree there is a distinct difference between academic intelligence and common sense intelligence! Some of the smartest people I know possess very little common sense and those with high common sense often come across as cleverer than they are.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Oct 30 2016, 10:57 PM
Post #14
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Smart intelligent? I'd say that I would be.

Emotionally intelligent? I'd say than I am not, but that it's not necessarily a bad thing.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 30 2016, 11:11 PM
Post #15
Commentless 7
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

It depends on the topic - I'm intelligent in certain areas and can add a lot to a topic where I know about it, but there are some topics I'm next to clueless about that I just can't really add much to. I mean, just using the generic examples, I love the subject of English and talking about books and everything but Maths I cannot stand and wouldn't be able to tell you anything about it.

I'd say I'm reasonably good at academic/current affairs intelligence, though social intelligence is definitely where I struggle the most, and I do find actual 'common sense'/being streetwise can eclipse me until I realise later.

This post has been edited by Undead Wombat: Oct 30 2016, 11:12 PM

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Oct 30 2016, 11:26 PM
Post #16
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think I have as much common sense as I thought I did

+Quote Post
angel_lotita
post Oct 30 2016, 11:27 PM
Post #17
#TittiTakeover
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Oct 30 2016, 10:38 PM) *
I agree there is a distinct difference between academic intelligence and common sense intelligence! Some of the smartest people I know possess very little common sense and those with high common sense often come across as cleverer than they are.

for sure kink.gif i guess i'm pretty intelligent, but I honestly have zero common sense

+Quote Post
Snaking Stevens
post Oct 30 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #18
Every snowsnake is unique
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

I know who has common sense on Buzzjack....Common Sense. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
christmdhas
post Oct 30 2016, 11:35 PM
Post #19
crap at finishing things
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not really intelligent at all if I'm honest, being able to regurgitate information onto a GCSE test is all very well and good but if you can't put it into practice irl (eg me) it doesn't show for much laugh.gif I'm average.

+Quote Post
UltraBasicWitch
post Oct 30 2016, 11:38 PM
Post #20
Cause I'll Be There To Carry You Home 💜
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947
   No Gallery Pics

Smart intelligent I'm quite smart, especially with the writing subjects I always seem to do really well on essays! Maths and Science on the other hand laugh.gif

Common sense, yeah not at all. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2016 - 02:17 AM