BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Billboard Ranks Gaga's albums, what is your ranking? ;o
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Nov 1 2016, 08:03 PM
Post #1
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

A week and change may not be a very long time when it comes to understanding how an artist's new album will fit into their overall catalog. But with Lady Gaga's Joanne now having been out for long enough to become her fourth chart-topper on the Billboard 200, we've had a little time to sort out our feelings about the work, and compare it to what's come before: Stefani Germanotta's three other full-length solo albums, as well as a collaborative LP and a particularly high-profile sequel EP. Here's a ranking of her now half-dozen major releases, counting down to Mother Monster's all-time finest creation.

6. Cheek to Cheek (With Tony Bennett, 2014)

Not to say that Cheek to Cheek is anything less than charming: The native New Yorkers make for surprisingly good on-record chemistry on this collection of jazz-standard duets. But even it was a necessary reset button for Gaga to hit, after her adventures in dance-pop futurism had left her slightly adrift with the listening public -- and even if it might've been the Gaga album that finally got your parents to take her seriously -- it's just a little too low-stakes a listen to rank ahead of any of her original studio albums. The Gaga solo torch song "Lush Life" is one for the Greatest Hits, though.

5. Joanne (2016)

Intended as both Gaga's most personal album to date and her attempt to connect with more of America's center, Joanne largely succeeds -- "Diamond Heart" sneaks some of Gaga's most confessional lyrics into a Meadowlands-worthy stadium-rock opener, while "Million Reasons" may be her most affecting ballad yet, potentially setting her career up for a successful second act on country radio. But the well-intentioned anthems of social conscience ("Come to Mama," "Angel Down") land somewhat flat, and some of the friskier numbers ("John Wayne," "A-YO") feel like a party whose host is trying a little too hard to convince everyone about how much fun they're having.

4. Artpop (2013)

Unsurprisingly for such a polarizing album, Artpop has both serious strengths and some glaring weaknesses: The thing shimmers and gleams like the best Big Pop, but by album's end, the insularity of late-LP tracks like "Donatella" and "Mary Jane Holland" can't help but become a little alienating. Still, "Aura" is one of her best openers, "Applause" is the rare lead single that makes perfect sense as a closer, and contextual creepiness aside, "Do What U Want" steams like the fogged windows in the backseat of the Drive soundtrack.

3. Born This Way (2011)

Truth told, the best Lady Gaga album might've been the one that combined the highlights from this album and its successor into one unstoppable collection of storming disco-pop and inflammable mega-balladry: Like Artpop with higher highs (and slightly lower lows) Born This Way arrives on the wings of Pegasus but never quite touches down to earth. The singles that were huge arguably should've been even huger, though -- and "Marry the Night" deserved far better than the fifth-single pat on the head it received -- while the hirsute histrionics of "Hair" could only have been pulled off by an artist with the straight-faced determination to be morphed into a motorcycle on her album cover.

2. The Fame (2009)

The hits on Gaga's debut album are front-loaded to a comical degree: Slide early signature smash "Poker Face" up two tracks and the first four songs would be the first four U.S. singles, in order. The obvious implication would be that the rest of the LP suffers by comparison, but the more accurate conclusion to reach might be that Gaga's team just got lazy picking songs for radio: "Boys, Boys, Boys" has the sleazy glam-pop strut to make both Kesha and Tommy Lee proud, "Brown Eyes" is the indie-darling power ballad to the blockbuster remake of "You and I," and the low-key irresistibility of "Summerboy" is a little bittersweet now in how unrecognizably far back it's gotten in Stefani's rearview.

1. The Fame Monster (2010)

As rare as it is for an EP to serve as any artist's definitive work, let alone one who spent time as the world's biggest pop star, it's hard to argue against The Fame Monster as the peak of Imperial Gaga. It's hardly insubstantial, anyway -- at eight songs and 34 minutes, it's about as long as the famous first albums by Boston or The Cars -- and it benefited from being released at the exact right moment, after the spate of Fame hits gradually introduced the more alien parts of her persona into her public persona, clearing the zone for the epochal (and fully extraterrestrial) landing of "Bad Romance."

Every song here is either a smash or a fan favorite, with the La Ace of Base Bonita bounce of "Alejandro," the strobe goth of "Monster" and the lighter-waving literalism of "Speechless" mixing seamlessly in Mother Monster's wicked brew. Though listening to Fame Monster might make you wish subsequent LPs were as tightly edited, the EP left fans clamoring for so much more Gaga that you can't really blame her for actually giving it to us.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/...ne-fame-monster
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 1 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Do you agree with their ranking or not? How would you rank the 6 albums? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Nov 1 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #3
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

I would rank themmmm...

01. 'The Fame Monster'
02. 'The Fame'
03. 'Born This Way'
04. 'Joanne'
05. 'ARTPOP'
---
Refuse to listen to: 'Cheek To Cheek'

'Joanne' has no real "moment" in the same way as the likes of 'Gypsy' or 'Do What U Want' etc.., but it's a much stronger album than 'ARTPOP', imo. It feels like an actual piece of work as opposed to feeling like shit thrown at the wall and seeing what sticks, like 'ARTPOP' did. At least for me. In fact, I was close to having it overtake BTW, but I always under appreciate that album and forget just how much I actually love it.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 1 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #4

For me (this is my own personal responses to how the albums have shaped me and my musical / personal journey the past decade)

01. Born This Way
02. The Fame Monster
03. The Fame
04. ARTPOP
05. Joanne
06. Cheek to Cheek

Joanne is a more cohesive album than ARTPOP and maybe over time it could overtake it, but I think it would be too premature to say I enjoy it more right now. The top 2 are undeniable. The affect BTW had on me personally and emotionally.. I can never forget it (and it's a RIOT of an album from start to finish too <3).

+Quote Post
oxyben
post Nov 1 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #5
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,551
   No Gallery Pics

01. Born This Way
02. The Fame Monster
03. Joanne
04. The Fame
05. Artpop
06. Cheek to Cheek

+Quote Post
Oricon
post Nov 1 2016, 11:20 PM
Post #6
bye dinner
Member No.: 12,972

Billboard's rank of Gaga's albums is actually accurate in my books! The Fame Monster is untouchable.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Nov 1 2016, 11:27 PM
Post #7
on a bench in coney island
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

01 Born This Way
02 The Fame Monster
03 The Fame
04 ARTPOP
05 Joanne

Haven't actually listened to Cheek to Cheek in full but from what I HAVE heard it would firmly be last, just not the sort of thing I like. Same order as Haus then! 🙌🏼 I don't think I fully appreciated 'Born This Way' when it was first released (mainly because I couldn't stand the title track...and still can't), such a great album though. That top 2 is so far ahead of the rest.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Nov 1 2016, 11:28 PM
Post #8
on a bench in coney island
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

I really can't comprehend 'The Fame' being above 'Born This Way' in their ranking...

+Quote Post
Nick Jonas
post Nov 2 2016, 06:16 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,481
   No Gallery Pics

Completely agree with that ranking tbh.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Nov 2 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #10
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

01. Born This Way
02. Joanne
03. The Fame Monster
04. Artpop
05. The Fame
06. Cheek to Cheek

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 2 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #11
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

At the moment my ranking would be exactly the same as Regina's...

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Nov 2 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #12
is in hibernation
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,161

01 The Fame Monster
02 ARTPOP
03 Born This Way
04 Joanne
05 The Fame

The top three are absolutely incredible, some of my favourite albums <3 The last two are GOOD, just not up to that standard (who knows, Joanne may grow). I haven't heard C2C in full so I can't put that in.

+Quote Post
DiamondHeart
post Nov 11 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 23,698
   No Gallery Pics

01. Born This Way
02. Joanne
03. The Fame Monster

04. Artpop
05. The Fame
06. Cheek to Cheek

+Quote Post
Nick F1
post Nov 13 2016, 01:10 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 5,392

i the fame
ii born this way
iii the fame monster
iiii artpop
iiiii joanne

last two are really shitty

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Nov 13 2016, 02:27 PM
Post #15
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

1. Fame Monster (this is her best by far ...)

2. Born This Way
3. The Fame

4. Joanne
5. ARTPOP

Last two are really bad however.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Mar 31 2018, 10:20 PM
Post #16
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

1. Born This Way
2. The Fame Monster
3. The Fame
4. Joanne
5. ARTPOP
6. Cheek to Cheek

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:18 PM