BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUSES
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
BUSES
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 41
Guests cannot vote 
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Nov 2 2016, 11:17 AM
Post #1
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

This is totally a topic I'm passionate about and has absolutely nothing to do with my current research project at uni teresa.gif

So, do you use local buses? What do you use them for? how often do you use them? If you avoid buses at all costs, why? Just tell me about your bus travel experiences mellow.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 2 2016, 11:26 AM
Post #2
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I have a bicycle so hardly ever use buses, however when I'm in London I use them quite a lot because cycling in London is a death wish.

My favourite bus route is the two fat ladies in London: https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/88/
But the H1(N1) in Exeter (so called the 'swine flu' route) is also quite good.

+Quote Post
Silas
post Nov 2 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #3
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I hate busses. Only time I use them is when engineering works close the tram line and I'm forced onto a replacement bus service.

The problem for me is that the seats are too small so I physically can not get on the bus and they're slow as shit, stop far too frequently and are noisy/smelly/heavily polluting. In rural areas, like where I grew up they're so infrequent and have to stop in so many villages and cost so much that it's really not worth it.

They work great in cities but are woeful outside of them.

Best bus network I have been on is the TransLink network in SEQLD. They've got these fab busways that mean the bus is actually a super fast route into the city. They're frequent, fairly cheap, roomy and they run on natural gas so are cleaner. The smart ticket is also integrated with the ferries and trains. Plus you get continuations. So if I got a bus to the interchange and then got another about 15 mins later to the city it's counted as the one continuous journey for calcating your fare. I've been able to get the bus to Coles, go do my shopping and get back on a bus to the uni and get a continuation so got the return leg for free!

+Quote Post
Math ☂
post Nov 2 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #4
come on down to south park
Member No.: 19,852
   No Gallery Pics

Not a big fan of buses. I don't live near any city where public transit would be a good alternative to driving and I find the buses rather dirty and cramped. In New York City they can be nice but I'd much rather take the subway if I'm forced to take one or the other!

+Quote Post
angel_lotita
post Nov 2 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #5
#TittiTakeover
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Since moving to Soton I have to get a bus if I want to go anywhere other than my uni! Luckily my accommodation give a free unlimited bus pass, tbf the buses here are quite nice, I always get a seat and there is USB chargers on the back of every seat *.*

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post Nov 2 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 8,674

I've started using them on an almost daily basis, even if it's just to save myself a ten minute walk to the station because I'm lazy, it can save a couple of minutes and it doesn't cost me anyway. When I'm working extreme shifts (5:30am start or finish after midnight) I have to use them over a greater distance to get to work or get home.

I like them in London because of the iBus system which means you don't need to be familiar with the route at all as you can just listen out for the stop you want to get off at and I think the 1.50 flat fare is reasonable, cheaper than any adult fare I've encountered on the buses back in my hometown.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 2 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #7
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

God I hate buses laugh.gif Luckily I am yet to use a bus at uni, and I'm a month into second year! Everything is just close enough to walk, we get taxis if we're going to a restaurant that's too far or a club when it's raining, there's just never been a need to use a bus. I expect I'll need to next year when I'm on placement though!

At home I'd say maybe one or twice a week but they are terrible, they are nearly always ridiculously late, absolutely rammed and expensive af but I have to use a bus to get to town or most places that are remotely good, like the clubs or if we go out for a meal or drinks unless we walk to Harvester or a pub.

+Quote Post
Tinasha
post Nov 2 2016, 01:47 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I'm not a big fan of the bus, they're so slow and I don't particularly like being in cars/buses. I've grown accustomed to the tube, so anything more than a 2 minute wait and I freak out now.

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Nov 2 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #9
Prefer not to sleigh
Member No.: 21,005

We don't have a car so when we have to go somewhere quite far away we rely on them. They aren't reliable to come on time, or even turn up at all though laugh.gif

+Quote Post
angel_lotita
post Nov 2 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #10
#TittiTakeover
Member No.: 21,777

are bus times actually a thing? I usually just stand at a bus stop until I see the bus I want

This post has been edited by gothic_lotita: Nov 2 2016, 02:29 PM

+Quote Post
Taylor Jago
post Nov 2 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #11
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

I take the bus twice every weekday to go to my high school in Dieppe. Apart from that, I never use them.

For the trip, it's rather annoying that the bus takes an hour to go from where I live to Dieppe, meaning even though I leave home at quarter to 7 the school bell sometimes starts ringing before I get into the high school. Also I wait 50 mins at the bus stop on Wednesday for my bus to arrive.

This post has been edited by Taylor Jago: Nov 2 2016, 02:47 PM

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Nov 2 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #12
On This Day in P!nk History...
Member No.: 590

I used to get them every day for work, but now that I work nights I get a lift to & from work. Now I only get the bus if I'm going into Manchester which used to take over an hour but now they've put a new route on it can take as little as 40 minutes. I don't mind getting the bus unless its really busy.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 2 2016, 03:02 PM
Post #13
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I take two buses a day to commute to University. The first one is a Stagecoach bus that I take from my house to town, then I get an Uno bus from town to my campus. The Stagecoach buses are nothing special. Though I am yet to experience feeling cramped on one which is good, I always manage to get a seat and just have my headphones in so noise doesn't bother me. The Uno buses are pretty cool to look at in particular as they're pink and purple *.* Although they're far more cramped as a lot of Uni students use them. There have been a couple of instances where it has been REALLY packed and this is not good for my claustrophobia. It's a much shorter journey I have to take on this second one though anyway.

I mostly cannot deal with the lateness of buses. There have been a couple of times where the bus has shown up like 20 mins late or not turned up at all, so I always get a pretty early bus just in case this happens so I'm always on time. I've experienced buses breaking down a few times now, luckily none of these incidents were too far away from my destination so no biggie. One time I had bad service though, there was a new guy driving the bus and he got the route wrong meaning I had to get off somewhere random, complained and got a week of free travel though *.*

So yeah basically I use buses a LOT to get to University, and also sometimes just to go into town by myself or with friends. They're very useful for me but also a bit of a pain all the same.

+Quote Post
bah... humbug...
post Nov 2 2016, 03:36 PM
Post #14
Don't go poking that stick
Member No.: 2

Probably use the bus once a month, unless the car develops a problem, buses round here are so unreliable though, one doesn't turn up, 10 minutes later 2 buses turn up together. Plus once I needed to get a bus this was when the schools chuck out, the bus is packed with kids shouting and swearing.

+Quote Post
🎄cqmerqn🎄
post Nov 2 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I have to get the bus into town and then from town to my house every day coming home from sixth form laugh.gif

I like buses unless they're super busy with noisy/smelly people!

+Quote Post
Tinsel Boy
post Nov 2 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #16
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Monthly or less. I only use it when I'm going to town to consume a vast amount of alcohol tbh.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Nov 2 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #17
long hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

I don't really like using buses, the drivers tend to be miserable as f*** and the journeys to my usual destinations tend to be really long, even longer than they would be in the car laugh.gif our area is served by London buses so we can use Oyster cards so that's a positive I guess. Fortunately I don't have to use them that much!

I remember one story, about 8 years ago now (mellow.gif), I offered my seat to an elderly lady on the bus, she said no thank you, even after I insisted that she took it. Just as I was about to get off, another lady decided to give me a lecture saying I should've given it up for her unsure.gif no idea why she felt the need to stick her nose in, particularly as I had offered it to her and she insisted she was fine laugh.gif *random bus-related anecdote*

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 2 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #18
Commentless 7
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Get one three days a week to college for the whole journey, and back when I worked at Chessington, I also got one every day. Cheap compared to the train and fairly bearable, once you get past them going off timetable, roadworks, rude drivers, somewhat lack of personal space, someone INSISTING on holding up the bus by talking to the driver and *shudders* crying babies.

Sadly the one I get now is single deck, I loved sitting upstairs on the double decker, especially when no one else was there <3

+Quote Post
WiseManFromLeeds
post Nov 2 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #19
You don't see many angels on night shift
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I take the bus every day, it's always between 5 and 15 mins late. Not an amazingly pleasant experience, and neither are most of the drivers.

When I get on the bus between 1 and 2 o'clock the price is either 70p (what it usually is) or 1.20. It's seemingly random which.

+Quote Post
Silas
post Nov 2 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #20
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Nov 2 2016, 07:22 PM) *
I remember one story, about 8 years ago now (mellow.gif), I offered my seat to an elderly lady on the bus, she said no thank you, even after I insisted that she took it. Just as I was about to get off, another lady decided to give me a lecture saying I should've given it up for her unsure.gif no idea why she felt the need to stick her nose in, particularly as I had offered it to her and she insisted she was fine laugh.gif *random bus-related anecdote*

I have an opposite experience to this. When I was in Berlin going back to the airport to leave the bus was absolutely rammed full. I got on with my crutches and there was a good half a dozen offers of what seat I could have. They were falling over themselves to be the one to give up their seat for me!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2016 - 02:35 PM