BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What proportion of the UK population do you believe is gay?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
vidsanta
post Nov 5 2016, 07:28 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

Part of the problem is even defining what is meant by 'gay'. unsure.gif

If you are exclusively attracted to people of the same sex, or to both sexes, then that's relatively clear.

But there are significant grey areas : e.g. Does casual experimentation in college/university count? Also, what about occasional thoughts, never acting on?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tinasha
post Nov 5 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Nov 5 2016, 07:28 AM) *
Part of the problem is even defining what is meant by 'gay'. unsure.gif

If you are exclusively attracted to people of the same sex, or to both sexes, then that's relatively clear.

But there are significant grey areas : e.g. Does casual experimentation in college/university count? Also, what about occasional thoughts, never acting on?

'If you are exclusively attracted to people of the same sex' - Gay.
or to both sexes bisexual.
Does casual experimentation in college/university count? It depends how much you enjoyed them.
Thoughts never acted on Possibly sexually repressed.

All in all, I'd say roughly 10 - 20% of the population is not totally straight.

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Nov 5 2016, 10:29 AM
Post #3
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Joe. @ Nov 5 2016, 09:12 AM) *
Does casual experimentation in college/university count? It depends how much you enjoyed them.

If they did, then perhaps they should fall into one of the first 2 categories instead?

All in all, I'd say roughly 20% of the population is not totally straight.

That seems far too high to me, depending on your definition of 'not totally straight'

http://attitude.co.uk/what-percentage-of-t...-lesbian-or-bi/

+Quote Post
twentyonemdh
post Nov 5 2016, 10:39 AM
Post #4
crap at finishing things
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

The thing that irritates me is that society makes you 'straight by default'. I'm sure a lot of people that are unsure of their sexuality are labelled as straight automatically so we can't get an accurate figure unless we assume the average person who hasn't confessed their sexuality is 'straight', which is totally wrong.

Just because heterosexuality equates for the majority doesn't mean the average person IS heterosexual, it's like saying that just because there's slightly more males in the world, a pregnant woman is assumed to be having a boy - it doesn't make sense laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 5 2016, 10:45 AM
Post #5
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

We really don't need to label and categorise everyone, and turn them into stats. There's such a spectrum of sexuality that it's borderline impossible to do that really.

Gay just means you like the same gender I do not see how that's difficult to understand laugh.gif There are other labels for other things and some people don't bother with labels and that's fine. It's not really anyone else's business at the end of the day if you choose not to be labelled with gay or straight, or anything else. People just love who they love, and that's fine.

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Nov 5 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #6
Prefer not to sleigh
Member No.: 21,005

I'm sure there's a lot more than these stats would suggest, many aren't sure/haven't come out and like Liam said there's no 100% straight/gay for everyone and it's not really easy to categorise or state percentages of sexuality imo

+Quote Post
Silas
post Nov 5 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #7
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

There is some statistical evidence, i think from the US, that the majority of "millennials" identify somewhere on the sexuality spectrum other than Hetro.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Nov 5 2016, 10:54 AM
Post #8
we driving fast in the slow lane
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

Does it really matter? This feels like a topic that would've been made years ago...

Anyway, it's much much higher than the 1.6% that article above suggests.

This post has been edited by Cremey: Nov 5 2016, 10:54 AM

+Quote Post
Tinasha
post Nov 5 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Nov 5 2016, 10:29 AM) *
If they did, then perhaps they should fall into one of the first 2 categories instead?
That seems far too high to me, depending on your definition of 'not totally straight'

http://attitude.co.uk/what-percentage-of-t...-lesbian-or-bi/

My definition of of not straight is somewhere on the spectrum, which can be however the person likes to define it, gay, bi, fluid...

When it comes to openly gay people i think it's like 8 - 10%, but I think there is a huge amount of people who are either choose to ignore their sexuality, haven't properly worked it out, are totally repressed because of family, religious, cultural or personal values.

+Quote Post
Santa's Haz
post Nov 5 2016, 10:57 AM
Post #10
Why don't you be you and Ill Be Me
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,835

I agree it doesn't really matter surely....especially how many labels their are these days it's hard to define someone as being gay or totally not straight you know.

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Nov 5 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #11
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

There's pretty much no way to determine how many people in the UK are part of the LGBTQ+ community basically because there's still so many people that don't ever come out because homophobia/biphobia/transphobia etc is still very much a problem and there's still that fear of not being accepted and everything that comes with that. I don't think choosing how you identify is a "problem", it doesn't really matter except to the individual. It's never just gay or straight, there's so many identities it really is a spectrum, even within a single label. It's their sexuality, it's their relationships therefore labels should only matter to them, or if they don't want to label themselves then that shouldn't be an issue either. Ideally we'd live in a society where it doesn't matter who you love, there should be no divide between heterosexuality and every other sexual orientation.

This post has been edited by ʟɪɴᴅsᴇʏ: Nov 5 2016, 11:03 AM

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Nov 5 2016, 11:38 AM
Post #12
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(twentyonemdh @ Nov 5 2016, 10:39 AM) *
The thing that irritates me is that society makes you 'straight by default'. I'm sure a lot of people that are unsure of their sexuality are labelled as straight automatically so we can't get an accurate figure unless we assume the average person who hasn't confessed their sexuality is 'straight', which is totally wrong.

There's another issue : If someone says 'I'm gay & proud of it', they are praised, but if someone else were to say 'I'm straight and proud of it', then the PC lobby would assume they meant there's something wrong with being gay, as if only minorities can be proud of what they are.

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Nov 5 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #13
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cremey @ Nov 5 2016, 10:54 AM) *
Does it really matter? This feels like a topic that would've been made years ago...

Anyway, it's much much higher than the 1.6% that article above suggests.

Other than the long discredited Kinsey Report, I can find little evidence to refute the above figure, though.

+Quote Post
Frosty Xmas Baps
post Nov 5 2016, 11:48 AM
Post #14
Is your muffin buttered?
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Nov 5 2016, 12:38 PM) *
There's another issue : If someone says 'I'm gay & proud of it', they are praised, but if someone else were to say 'I'm straight and proud of it', then the PC lobby would assume they meant there's something wrong with being gay, as if only minorities can be proud of what they are.

Well,yes, as a minority and proud is a repudiation of the stigma and discrimination they have suffered for how ever many years against he majority.

Someone with the 'privilige' of being in the not-historically discriminated against majority does not quite have that same discrimination to rail against.

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Nov 5 2016, 11:53 AM
Post #15
Prefer not to sleigh
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Nov 5 2016, 11:38 AM) *
If there was more acceptance towards non-hetero parties then both statements would be praised I think

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Nov 5 2016, 01:02 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Nov 5 2016, 11:38 AM) *

And this is precisely why I've kept a close eye on the topic since you started it. Nobody has ever had to fear for their life simply because they are straight. Nobody has ever been bullied at school simply for being straight. Nobody has had to fear being abused in the street just because they are straight.

Therefore, there has never been a resin to be "proud to be straight". As a result, anybody who does proclaim that they are "proud to be straight" is bound to lead to people labelling them as homophobic. It really is that simple.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Nov 5 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #17
we driving fast in the slow lane
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

^ Exactly.

I really can't comprehend it when people don't understand. Very similar to the 'all lives matter' issue.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 5 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #18
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

Idk could I have some stats please as to approximately how many people have been told they can't be proud to be straight? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Silas
post Nov 5 2016, 01:51 PM
Post #19
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(Liаm @ Nov 5 2016, 01:40 PM) *
Idk could I have some stats please as to approximately how many people have been told they can't be proud to be straight? smile.gif

100% of all Vidcappers.

+Quote Post
Tinsel Boy
post Nov 5 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #20
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

When people say they are proud to be gay they're saying they're proud to admit they're sexuality given that in the past, it wasn't an easy thing to do. When morons say they're proud to be straight they're basically saying they're proud to be 'normal' which is offensive. Being proud of how you were born is stupid because it's not an achievement. having the courage to not hide your sexuality is something people can be proud of. And straight people have never had to hide their sexuality.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th December 2016 - 10:31 AM