BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Profanity In The Charts, Explicit Content
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
🏆award🏆inary
post Nov 5 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

A current trend I've picked up on this year more do than previous years is that many songs from all genres, including pop, are quite explicit in their lyrical content. It seems to be the norm these days to hear a song with swearing in, and nobody seems to think any differently to it but accepts it as being that way.

Do you think if a song is explicit in nature it has a better chance of getting noticed and then subsequently doing well in the charts?

Bear in mind too that a lot of listeners are perhaps young children and therefore more impressionable. What effect could that have on them and their music tastes etc

I'm neither for or against it I just want you to know, but I'd be interested to hear the general viewpoints of the forum and what you've picked up on from seeing how the music scene is constantly evolving.

Questions to consider;

Does it matter to you when a song has the "Explicit Content" logo on it?
Does it make you want to listen to the song more or less?
Do you choose to listen to the "clean" version instead?
Would you be comfortable playing the music in the presence of others, including children?
Should any changes be implemented?

This post has been edited by awardinary: Nov 5 2016, 02:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UltraBasicWitch
post Nov 5 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #2
Cause I'll Be There To Carry You Home 💜
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947
   No Gallery Pics

Does it matter to you when a song has the "Explicit Content" logo on it? No
Does it make you want to listen to the song more or less? More
Do you choose to listen to the "clean" version instead? Very rarely- I can only think of two songs off the top of my head that I listen to the clean version over the explicit version (Stooshe- Love Me & Lloyd- Dedication To My Ex)
Would you be comfortable playing the music in the presence of others, including children? If in front of younger children, I'd try and find a clean version or just play a different song!
Should any changes be implemented? No

+Quote Post
WiseManFromLeeds
post Nov 5 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #3
You don't see many angels on night shift
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I don't listen to songs with explicit content, even if I really like them (of course, unless I don't know the lyrics are there). I guess, as long as there is a radio edit available to buy and stream, there isn't a massive problem, but if there isn't I'll probably just forget about the song.

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Nov 5 2016, 02:20 PM
Post #4
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

There's been a few songs with very sexualised lyrics in chart hits I've noticed recently ('Sexual', 'Sex', 'Starving') but I don't have a problem with it and it doesn't feel like only the explicit songs get in the charts (the current UK top 2 are very lyrically 'safe' anyway).

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Nov 5 2016, 02:31 PM
Post #5
I hate pans
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16,660

I honestly don't see why people have an issue with it or why the UK radio insists on radio edits. Around here that's not the case at all

+Quote Post
Andrew Sleighs
post Nov 5 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #6
60% amazing
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,161

What's the problem? It's just a word, it's not like we don't all say them anyway

+Quote Post
Jacob Marley
post Nov 5 2016, 02:36 PM
Post #7
Jacob Alan
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

It sort of depends on the type of music and the frequency of use, in some genres (smooth jazz or something) it'd just be jarring and in some songs it's just unnecessary and seems to only be there because the artist can't find more interesting lyrics but in heavier music for example a well placed explicit word or two can be really effective and convey all the right emotions. That said I really respect artists that don't swear in their lyrics as a rule, not that I think any less of ones that do but it's nice sometimes to listen to something that's totally clean.

Does it matter to you when a song has the "Explicit Content" logo on it? Not usually.
Does it make you want to listen to the song more or less? Doesn't make a difference
Do you choose to listen to the "clean" version instead? Rarely, I'd rather hear it as it was originally written.
Would you be comfortable playing the music in the presence of others, including children? I wouldn't play music with explicit lyrics in front of children if I could help it (depends on how obvious and how frequent) and I'd be very selective in front of my parents for example too, but I take into consideration the sound more than the lyrics usually.
Should any changes be implemented? I don't see why.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Nov 5 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #8
long hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

Does it matter to you when a song has the "Explicit Content" logo on it? Nope
Does it make you want to listen to the song more or less? No impact
Do you choose to listen to the "clean" version instead? Occasionally yes, but most of the time no (I preferred the clean edits of Avril's Here's to Never Growing Up and Rock N Roll for example)
Would you be comfortable playing the music in the presence of others, including children? Nope
Should any changes be implemented? I think censoring can be very OTT, particularly on music channels where even the slightest reference to drinking is censored, the second verse of Rita Ora's How We Do (Party) was absolutely butchered drama.gif I think that should be toned down but otherwise I'd say things are mostly fine as they are, although Radio 1 insisting on playing "Sensual" instead of Sexual is a bit OTT

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 5 2016, 02:37 PM
Post #9
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

I don't have an issue at all, they're just words laugh.gif I can see why swear words are edited out, but I find it absolutely ridiculous when they edit out "sexual" for "sensual" in the NEIKED song for example :/ And when they edited out "wasted" for "naked" in Wasted by Tiesto. Sometimes it does really kill a song, ruin the flow, and make it off putting to listen to. I don't listen to the radio much at all so I just tend to listen to the "normal" explicit versions and so the clean edits usually feel really weird to me.

Edit: I just remembered yesterday I heard Dua Lipa - Blow Your Mind on the radio in Subway and they deleted the whole "if we don't f*** this whole thing up" line instead of just censoring the one word... That's another example of when censoring is way too much.

+Quote Post
WiseManFromLeeds
post Nov 5 2016, 02:38 PM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

I guess it's different for me because I go out of my way to avoid using words considered explicit. I also feel really uncomfortable listening to explicit songs, especially when with people who are close to me.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Nov 5 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

It's the inconsistency that annoys me. If they're gonna sensor NEIKED's Sexual then they have to sensor Cheat Codes' Sex, or preferably leave both alone.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Nov 5 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #12
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

If you think these hits are offensive I strongly recommend that you listen the #66 hit from Kunt And The Gang which charted on 19th December 2010.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 5 2016, 02:51 PM
Post #13
Balegdah

I find it very odd myself how the word with arguably the most power to shock is a certain four letter word laugh.gif It wasn't regarded as so offensive in Middle English, I think it was about the 1800s or 1900s that it started to be used offensively. It's just that society has moved on so rapidly, and is doing so all the time, and so many taboos are broken but there's still this one combination of four letters than can really impact and cause shock and disgust, a hell of a lot of the time, just by being uttered. I get why people don't like it don't get me wrong, I just find it somewhat fascinating that it is still the case, and it's probably one of the only words you can say still has that power and is still a wide ranging taboo.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Nov 5 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Nov 6 2016, 02:42 AM) *
If you think these hits are offensive I strongly recommend that you listen the #66 hit from Kunt And The Gang which charted on 19th December 2010.

This is a fantastic song on so many levels.

+Quote Post
WiseManFromLeeds
post Nov 5 2016, 03:18 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

I do think using these words in choruses is worse than using them in verses though, it means there's no way of getting around the swearing if you just want to use a clip of the music

This post has been edited by PeteFromLeeds: Nov 5 2016, 03:19 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 5 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #16
Balegdah

They can just blank it out like they usually do laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mr_pmt
post Nov 5 2016, 03:33 PM
Post #17
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I think it's ridiculous in this day and age to be that sensitive to swear words.

Swearing in a song has no bearing for me, sometimes it can be an effective emphasis. The one UV mentioned (Dedication To My Ex) is the only one I can think of off the top of my head where the clean version works better for me.

Radio 1's butcherings of 'S&M' and 'If U Seek Amy' were hilarious though.

This post has been edited by mr_pmt: Nov 5 2016, 03:33 PM

+Quote Post
WiseManFromLeeds
post Nov 5 2016, 03:36 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Liаm @ Nov 5 2016, 03:30 PM) *
They can just blank it out like they usually do laugh.gif

Music on Chart Show TV (available in Travelodges and Center Parcs) and songs played in McDonalds aren't very good at this laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Nov 5 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #19
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Nov 5 2016, 02:40 PM) *
It's the inconsistency that annoys me. If they're gonna sensor NEIKED's Sexual then they have to sensor Cheat Codes' Sex, or preferably leave both alone.

I thought they did censor it? (specifically editing out 'I'll eat you like a cannibal', 'f*** for hours' and 'pussy power').

+Quote Post
Tinsel Boy
post Nov 5 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #20
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I don't particularly mind it but I don't see why it needs to be used so frequently these days. Swear words aren't even used properly anymore and are now used by people who lack a fully developed vocabulary. All of this 'it's only words' crap doesn't help matters at all.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2016 - 09:11 PM