BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has 2016 been the worst year for UK top 40 in its existence, In terms of amount of music and variety of music
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Emperor Blizzard
post Nov 7 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #1
I live at the top of Buzzjack Mountain, in a shelter hit by rain
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Obviously this is subjective, but I would say that this year has had a focus on global urban pop and global dance pop in the top 40 charts, and few tracks which are not poppy. That's not to say I didn't like some of the tracks but the variety was very little I think, the vast majority of tracks were dance pop of the future bass or tropical house type or urban pop of the Drake, Weeknd, Beiber or Fifth Harmony type (and most of the latter who got hits are big international acts). There were a couple of guitar based songs from 21 Pilots, Bastille and the 1975 but even those err on the poppy side of indie rock.

In terms of amount of new music it has been a terrible year I think for the charts, only 3 new entries per week (if that) on average.

So I do think it has been the worst year for the top 40 ever....I hope it improves next year in terms of speed and variety of music.

What do you think....

This post has been edited by Snake In The Sno: Nov 7 2016, 05:27 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
twentyonemdh
post Nov 7 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #2
crap at finishing things
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

The standard of music has been very high this year - even if the variety isn't there. It's no way the worst year for the charts, 2010 was shite in terms of music.

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Nov 7 2016, 05:35 PM
Post #3
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

Dreadfully slow turnover. sad.gif

+Quote Post
pippa
post Nov 7 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

In large, i feel its been a dreadful year for music with so many people releasing the same sounding music, very little from this year will ever be making the radio in years to come.

+Quote Post
Jamie Barkley
post Nov 7 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 20,056
   No Gallery Pics

I agree, 2010 was probably the worst year for chart music that I can remember. Curiously surrounded by 2009 and 2011, which were both fantastic. I think, if anything, 2016 has suffered from a lack of diversity but in terms of the actual music that has made it's way into the Top 40, I have to say, I haven't minded this year. What's telling to me is that in previous years there was always one Top 40 hit that stood out, to me, as being the best of the year (Rolling In The Deep, Somebody That I Used To Know, Pompeii, Budapest, King) whereas this year, I genuinely couldn't call it. I feel like there's been less "hits" but the one's that have been genuine hits have on the whole been very good and the only reason I've gone off some of the bigger ones is due to over saturation and overplay. One Dance, Cheap Thrills, I Took a Pill in Ibiza, This Is What You Came For, Love Yourself, This Girl, Lush Life exct. are all pretty solid songs in my view, but I need to not here any of them for a while before I can get back to fully appreciating them.

+Quote Post
Emperor Blizzard
post Nov 7 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(twentyonemdh @ Nov 7 2016, 05:33 PM) *
The standard of music has been very high this year - even if the variety isn't there. It's no way the worst year for the charts, 2010 was shite in terms of music.

Well I suppose 2010 did have all those similar sounding EDM tracks but at last we had Stereo Love, Watercolour, Why Don't You, Hot, Let You Go and Seek Bromance for dance music which were distinct in style (and probably more I don't remember). Outside the dominant tropical house and future bass we have had much less this year.

For urban the early Tinie records in that year were different too to the usual urban pop in the chart.

In 2010 Make Me Wanna Die by Pretty Reckless also made the top 20, a pretty heavy rock song.

Probably more examples in 2010 of different genres making the charts.

+Quote Post
Hadji
post Nov 7 2016, 05:47 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,386
   No Gallery Pics

Yes it is the worst year for music so far. But next year will probably be worse

+Quote Post
XMAS Rob S~
post Nov 7 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #8
Will You Be There?
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Hadji @ Nov 7 2016, 05:47 PM) *

I'm not going to disagree with you that it could be worse but that's really pessimistic to insinuate that before we've even got into the new year..

this year has been mixed for me, lots of usual stale movement in the first half of year however it's starting to pick up now with newer tracks beginning to push the deadwood down to some degree so it's not all bad. The majority of 2014 was really the pits when streaming first affecting the chart etc!

This post has been edited by Rob S~: Nov 7 2016, 05:56 PM

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Nov 7 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Not even close, this has been probably the best year since 2013, we haven't had to endure all that Ed Sheeran/Sam Smith/George Ezra crap for starters.

+Quote Post
andeeeeyhart
post Nov 7 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 22,713
   No Gallery Pics

I don't it's been bad musically, plus a lot of songs I've liked have debuted in the Top 10. It's just the painfully slow turnover that's let it down.

+Quote Post
UltraBasicWitch
post Nov 7 2016, 05:58 PM
Post #11
Cause I'll Be There To Carry You Home 💜
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947
   No Gallery Pics

2010 and 2013 were worse for me!

This decade for chart music:
1. 2011
2. 2012
3. 2014
4. 2015
5. 2016
6. 2013
7. 2010

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Nov 7 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #12
long hair don't care
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I enjoy the majority of chart hits these days, so 2016 is definitely not the worst year for music quality-wise, 2010 is a good shout for the worst year in fairly recent times I think. The chart itself is very slow and not quite as interesting as it once was but the reasons for that are probably best debated in the streaming thread laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Nov 7 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #13
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

for me too, 2010 is the year I revisit the least out of this decade, there's something about that year.

I think we've had quite a good year, even if turnover has been slow at least we're not getting songs like Boring Out Loud and Die Of Me spending a whole year in the top 40 anymore.

+Quote Post
Emperor Blizzard
post Nov 7 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Hadji @ Nov 7 2016, 05:47 PM) *

There were more dance music tracks I liked this year though, Trouble, Tears and Cry than any of the last few years though as I really didn't like the minimal house trend from 2013 to 2015.

Next year will almost certainly see the end of tropical house but probably not future bass as a chart force. Now even Jonas Blue, one of the main tropical house producers in the charts has moved on to future bass with his new track.

There are signs that a 00s style funky house revival could come, especially with the success of Trouble (very 2006 in style) and also the popularity of the John Gibbons Would I Lie To You track, and also influential producers such as Oliver Heldens are producing this style of music at the minute. Alternatively there seems to a lot of nostalgia towards trance music in dance, it is possible it could come back at the end of next year in a European revival.

I can't see rock coming back into the charts yet though sadly sad.gif

Next year will be better as tropical house will die off during the second half of the year replaced by something else, we shall see what it is.

+Quote Post
Hadji
post Nov 7 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,386
   No Gallery Pics

2016 is close to beating 1992's record for the least number ones. Although 1992 had only 12 number ones, at least there were more new entries back then

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Nov 7 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #16
Commentless 7
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

It's been the least diverse I can remember definitely, so on that call yes. Quality wise, I don't think it's that different to how it's been the last few years really, certain sounds have continued to dominate, it's just had a painfully slow turnover.

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Nov 7 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

I haven't liked much music in the charts this year. The standard hasn't been as good and less new stuff about. Also, I think the Q4 release schedule is poor and not many new releases excite me. Perhaps it's a sign of getting older but I feel out of touch with current music now.

+Quote Post
Jamie Barkley
post Nov 7 2016, 06:37 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 20,056
   No Gallery Pics

Just in order of my personal taste, years for chart music this decade:

1) 2012
2) 2011
3) 2013
4) 2015
5) 2016
6) 2014
7) 2010

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Nov 7 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,265
   No Gallery Pics

Variety wise, it hasn't been a stellar year. In terms of the actual songs, I feel like last year had much more memorable chart smashes from my perspective, especially from UK artists with songs like In2, Freak Of The Week, Shut Up, Fester Skank, Shutdown etc.. all charting. This year, these moments have seemed fewer and most of the things I like stall outside the charts. If I were to rank all the years of the decade so far, it'd look something like:

1) 2013 (so much variety and when chart music became interesting again)
2) 2015 (so many favourites)
3) 2014 (bit dull at the top but the house music, the beginnings of the grime resurgence, DJ Mustard and Fuse ODG made up for it)
4) 2016 (some great moments but fairly average)
5) 2012 (similar to this year, was too much dance-pop but variety was slowly returning with Oliver Twist, Latch and Locked Out of Heaven a few examples)
6) 2011 (not much has aged well)
7) 2010 (Pass Out and Hold Yuh, after that I'm struggling. Guetta pop domination wasn't my thing)

+Quote Post
Ethan
post Nov 7 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #20
3:23
Member No.: 5,269
   No Gallery Pics

2016 has been a truly amazing year for music and the charts~ wub.gif dance.gif wub.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th December 2016 - 10:09 AM