BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is the USA really "the greatest country in the world"?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Is the USA really "the greatest country in the world"?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
Tinasha
post Nov 9 2016, 09:22 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

No other country seems to claim this as much as America, do you think it's true.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tinasha
post Nov 9 2016, 09:23 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Where the f*** did the poll go?

+Quote Post
Jack
post Nov 9 2016, 09:26 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 223

The greatest and most accepting country I've personally been to was New Zealand.

+Quote Post
Tinasha
post Nov 9 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jack @ Nov 9 2016, 09:26 AM) *
The greatest and most accepting country I've personally been to was New Zealand.

Sweden, Canada and Iceland seem to be the most level-head. Shame they're so cold.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Nov 9 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

QUOTE(Joe. @ Nov 9 2016, 09:27 AM) *
Sweden, Canada and Iceland seem to be the most level-head. Shame they're so cold.

Canada isn't always cold! In Toronto where I have family it's boiling hot in the Summer.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 9 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #6
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

If I was American I'd move to the land of Daddy Trudeau tbh

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Nov 9 2016, 09:38 AM
Post #7
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I used to think it was, but definitely 'no' at the moment.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Nov 9 2016, 09:40 AM
Post #8
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Why did you ever think it was?

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Nov 9 2016, 09:42 AM
Post #9
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Obama

+Quote Post
Santas Haz
post Nov 9 2016, 09:43 AM
Post #10
Why don't you be you and Ill Be Me
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,835

With no gun laws and now donald trump as president I highly doubt its the 'Greatest Country In The World' at all tbh

+Quote Post
Tinasha
post Nov 9 2016, 09:44 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member

No other western country has gun crime to the extreme as America, or even, welcomes it.
No other western country would elect a fascist, pussy grabbing reality tv star as their president.

It's been, at times the most hopeful country, it's still (sadly) the most powerful and influential country, but it has never been the "greatest" country in the world, and has a long way to go before anyone could ever call it that.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 9 2016, 09:46 AM
Post #12
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I think it says it all that this is literally a Simpsons joke that has come true...

+Quote Post
Tinsel Boy
post Nov 9 2016, 10:50 AM
Post #13
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Liаm @ Nov 9 2016, 09:46 AM) *
I think it says it all that this is literally a Simpsons joke that has come true...

This. Why are they so often spot on?

This post has been edited by T Boy: Nov 9 2016, 10:50 AM

+Quote Post
Qween
post Nov 9 2016, 11:00 AM
Post #14
underneath the disco light
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 11,709

I think America is in a limbo phase right now, much like Britain was between the world wars. China and India are in the ascendancy but haven't quite got there quite yet, so the US is just treading water. So in answer to the poll, yes, technically, but not for long. 7

(I am of course using ''greatest'' in the sense of most powerful/influential)

+Quote Post
popchartfreak
post Nov 9 2016, 11:23 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

The most successful country in the world. One of the most beautiful (outside urban areas) in the world. Creatively and culturally fascinating, and historically vital for the security and democracy of the world at large (we would be in deep shit without the USA).

Greatest, though? No. No country is the greatest, they are only less imperfect than others to varying degrees and the USA has some big imperfections when it comes to guns, social care, pollution & environment...

+Quote Post
Jacob Marley
post Nov 9 2016, 11:31 AM
Post #16
Jacob Alan
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah I know it's viral clickbait but this has never been more relevant (Originally from HBO's "The Newsroom")

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Nov 9 2016, 11:36 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

this is coming from an American of color: i get that America sux and I extremely hate that I live in this country right now but I wish our faults inspired introspection in white people from other countries rather than smug self-satisfaction. Because I'm sorry but who the f*** is this thread and this poll really serving, people's lives are about to be f***ing ruined inside and outside of the country and y'all are doing this. "Is the us the greatest country in the world" no shit it isn't but why are you asking this question, and who does the answer serve

I'm sorry for going off like this and I promise I'm going to sleep soon because I haven't slept and I'm extremely tired but i am truly of just sick of like, e.g., "meanwhile in Canada" tweets every time something awful happens here like this shit doesn't have real life consequences for people, like LGBT people didn't die in a f***ing shooting or poc, immigrants, LGBT, women here aren't about to be treated like utter shit for the next four years cause of the shit that you're thanking your lucky stars doesn't/didn't happen in your country

This post has been edited by dhwe: Nov 9 2016, 11:37 AM

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Nov 9 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #18
Prefer not to sleigh
Member No.: 21,005

*putting the results aside* No, but I haven't exactly compared every country in the world to make a justified decision

But in terms of its people and their future decisions, no.

+Quote Post
Jacob Marley
post Nov 9 2016, 11:48 AM
Post #19
Jacob Alan
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

No one here's happy about this dhwe and no one's 'smugly self satisfied' in this thread as far as I can see, I can't speak for everyone but from what I can see it's just backlash against the rhetoric that Trump was pushing and the fact that seemingly enough of the electorate lapped it up. Of course the election result affects America a lot more significantly but the country has enough influence to affect the world drastically too. That said I completely understand why you're angry considering what's just happened. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Tinasha
post Nov 9 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(dhwe @ Nov 9 2016, 11:36 AM) *
this is coming from an American of color: i get that America sux and I extremely hate that I live in this country right now but I wish our faults inspired introspection in white people from other countries rather than smug self-satisfaction. Because I'm sorry but who the f*** is this thread and this poll really serving, people's lives are about to be f***ing ruined inside and outside of the country and y'all are doing this. "Is the us the greatest country in the world" no shit it isn't but why are you asking this question, and who does the answer serve

I'm sorry for going off like this and I promise I'm going to sleep soon because I haven't slept and I'm extremely tired but i am truly of just sick of like, e.g., "meanwhile in Canada" tweets every time something awful happens here like this shit doesn't have real life consequences for people, like LGBT people didn't die in a f***ing shooting or poc, immigrants, LGBT, women here aren't about to be treated like utter shit for the next four years cause of the shit that you're thanking your lucky stars doesn't/didn't happen in your country

I created it simply because I find it interesting, that Americans, their politicians and their people constantly drill this ideal that "America is the greatest country in the world". It's used in film, TV, on the news and throughout the entire campaign the world has just witnessed... For another country looking in it's somewhat bizarre (and fascinating) to see, you just don't hear it from any other countries. More than anything, as with most topics in the lounge, I wanted to open up some discussion on the statement itself that I've always found curious, and have never seen that much discussion on.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2016 - 02:16 AM