BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How will musical trends change in the Trump era?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Dancember
post Nov 11 2016, 01:15 PM
Post #1
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

It's well known that music in the past has been very much influenced by the current state of politics and the world. Blues, folk, punk, even classical music (in Soviet Russia/Nazi Germany) have been connected with politics.

Now that there is a new president that the majority of musicians did not want (Beyoncé, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry notably have been very pro-Hillary/anti-Trump) do we think there'll be a change in music?

Will we get more angsty songs with a message? More songs promoting love and peace (Eurovision teas) or more 'pissed off and angry' type-songs? Or no change at all as record labels refuse to allow these songs in favour of 'safer' material?

It'll certainly be interesting watching how music develops in these next few years.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 11 2016, 01:32 PM
Post #2
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Punk and hip-hop is about to enjoy a new golden period, one imagines.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Nov 11 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #3
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

pupok will rise

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Nov 11 2016, 02:24 PM
Post #4
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

It's interesting that Donald Trump has actually been invoked in a positive way in quite a few hip-hop songs (because of his (alleged) wealth and 'living the American Dream' etc.) - I assume we're not going to see a lot more of that, and a lot of rappers are going to be disassociating themselves from these old songs.

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Nov 11 2016, 03:41 PM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

Indeed we had Mac Miller and Gucci Mane songs titled 'Donald Trump' and a Rae Sremmurd track called 'Up Like Trump' so clearly these rappers admire him for making so much money, but rappers in general are pro-democratic as that party are more pro-civil rights.

+Quote Post
Snaking Stevens
post Nov 11 2016, 04:13 PM
Post #6
Every snowsnake is unique
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

In the US, i think country music will suffer because he played a lot of it at his rallies and obviously it is big in the mid western states that voted Republican.

So younger record buyers there will shun it.

I am hoping Donald Trump bans future bass with pitched vocals (as I really don't like it) laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Taylor Jago
post Nov 11 2016, 04:40 PM
Post #7
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

I think songs could become more political like in the 80s. That would actually be a good thing, since most songs nowadays are about sex.

Here are some political songs of the 80s:

(Cold War)
(Thatcherism)
(Vietnam War)
(Being gay in a homophobic world)
(The grief of a mother whose son was killed at war)
(Thatcher)

+Quote Post
Snaking Stevens
post Nov 11 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

And this political song of the 80s too - another example

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Nov 11 2016, 11:41 PM
Post #9
EVERYDAY EUPHORIA
Member No.: 9,403

this is a great topic idea dan!

+Quote Post
angel_lotita
post Nov 11 2016, 11:41 PM
Post #10
#TittiTakeover
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(jakewild @ Nov 11 2016, 01:44 PM) *
pupok will rise

this

+Quote Post
LexC
post Nov 12 2016, 12:36 AM
Post #11
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

In a way it's not solely about the Trump administration but I do think generally in culture as western society gets deeper and deeper into a polarized culture war, we're on the brink of the next counter cultural popular music innovation (or at least we ought to be, don't think I'm anywhere near cutting edge enough to know what it is/if it exists yet).

Anything to end the era of landfill faux-house music popdrops that's taken over popular music this decade!

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Nov 12 2016, 01:08 AM
Post #12
I was starting to worry if I was living in a simulation.
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

"Rise" to get a second push? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 12 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #13
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

QUOTE(LexC @ Nov 12 2016, 12:36 AM) *
In a way it's not solely about the Trump administration but I do think generally in culture as western society gets deeper and deeper into a polarized culture war, we're on the brink of the next counter cultural popular music innovation (or at least we ought to be, don't think I'm anywhere near cutting edge enough to know what it is/if it exists yet).

Anything to end the era of landfill faux-house music popdrops that's taken over popular music this decade!

Please be PC Music so my friends will appreciate Hannah Diamond at pres.

+Quote Post
Harve
post Nov 12 2016, 01:40 AM
Post #14
not Louis Theroux
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

This topic is so so cool.

I think mainstream pop culture has largely been inline with mainstream politics. Mainstream politics is shifting to some extent, but who knows if mainstream pop culture will follow or if it will indeed become more angsty/punky.

I remember attending my first indie festivals after the Tories won in 2010 (Cameron's cabinet seems so banal now!) and the likes of Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly, Frank Turner and Enter Shikari loved talking about politics. It'd be super powerful if someone like Beyoncé would send a message like that.

Also the far right seem to prefer to do their propoganda in other ways so I'd like to think mainstream pop will be relatively safe. Pls don't be a white supremacist Taylor Swift. x

This post has been edited by Harve: Nov 12 2016, 01:44 AM

+Quote Post
Harve
post Nov 12 2016, 01:46 AM
Post #15
not Louis Theroux
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Liаm @ Nov 12 2016, 01:20 AM) *
Please be PC Music so my friends will appreciate Hannah Diamond at pres.

Shove it down their throats xx

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Nov 12 2016, 01:59 AM
Post #16
f*** Donald Trump.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 67

Music better be pissed af. Dixie Chicks reprise.

Make it f***ING happen.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Nov 12 2016, 02:45 AM
Post #17
I was starting to worry if I was living in a simulation.
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Harve @ Nov 11 2016, 05:40 PM) *
I remember attending my first indie festivals after the Tories won in 2010 (Cameron's cabinet seems so banal now!) and the likes of Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly, Frank Turner and Enter Shikari loved talking about politics. It'd be super powerful if someone like Beyoncé would send a message like that.
Well if "Formation" was any indication of that I'd be all for it!

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Nov 12 2016, 12:53 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

Beyoncé clearly isn't afraid of speaking out about how she sees the world and issues affecting black women so I imagine her next album could well contain some political messages.

Apparently she was controversial at the CMAs for being anti Trump in a similar fashion to Dixie Chicks for anti Bush so you could be right Tyler.

+Quote Post
Snaking Stevens
post Nov 12 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Harve @ Nov 12 2016, 01:40 AM) *

Muse too have a lot of political stuff in many of their songs.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 12 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #20
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

As a more specific response with the CMAs in mind, I'd love to see a shift in country. I think it's already happening somewhat as other genres are influencing country a lot, see Sam Hunt being the biggest new country artist in a good while and his music has a lot of R&B in it, and then on a lesser scale Maren Morris' My Church has got a bit of a soulful style and was a hit. And lyrically country music is diversifying a lot, for example Kacey Musgraves addresses weed and homosexuality in Follow Your Arrow, that bombed on country radio but sold quite well, and then Miranda Lambert celebrates diversity (including cross dressing) in All Kinds Of Kinds and that did ok off her name but was still her first single in a few years to miss the country top 10. It shows that new and established artists alike aren't bowing down to conventions and won't just sing about love and heartbreak. Country at its heart is telling stories and conveying messages, I'd love it if more country stars would advocate tolerance or commentate on society a bit morel like Kacey Musgraves does in her unique brilliant way.

Beyonce didn't really overtly show anti Trump tendencies in a "we hate America now" Dixie Chicks way, the "controversy" was her mere presence with Dixie Chicks (their career is STILL dead from slating Bush and saying they make him hate America 13 years ago) , because she is associated with Black Lives Matter (like, anybody would know she wouldn't vote Trump) and the CMAs are about as apolitical as you can get. I think the point in country music is that you just don't speak out in the way that the likes of Beyonce or Katy Perry do. People assume that country stars are gonna be Republicans, but Carrie and Miranda for example have said they support gay marriage but in country it tends to be more muted. Country radio touched the Dixie Chicks for 13 years now, Not Ready To Make Nice is their only hit since then and that was a pop money shot they performed on the Grammys, but that's not to say that everyone who tries to be a bit more political and outspoken in country will flop, I think it probably does hinder songs at the moment on country radio and I'm not sure that will change instantly, it's been that way for decades :/ Maybe with the unrest over Trump being president, the more political country songs can be fostered by pop radio and crossover more, that would be great.

(saying that in this thread has given me a brilliant idea for a music and identity essay I have to do for sociology, so great thread idea Dan *.*(

QUOTE(Harve @ Nov 12 2016, 01:46 AM) *
Shove it down their throats xx

Oh I do *.*

QUOTE(Tyler @ Nov 12 2016, 01:59 AM) *
Music better be pissed af. Dixie Chicks reprise.

Make it f***ING happen.

I could totally imagine Kacey Musgraves slaying an anti Trump song, she's just got that attitude and sacasm and humour imbued in her music, and she isn't shy to discuss weed and homosexuality in her music so why not take a quick shot at Trump?*.*

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2016 - 09:13 PM