BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Irrational thoughts on body image, anybody else?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ML Hammer95
post Nov 22 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,265
   No Gallery Pics

Does anybody on here have issues with their body image, which would be dismissed by most as irrational? Can be anything really, but I feel like once you think it you see it more often in the mirror and becomes a self-defeating cycle.

Personally I've always thought I've got a chubby face in comparison with the rest of my body, but this is dismissed by others. In my eyes, I can see it in pictures and in the mirror (increasingly so as ive put on necessary weight this year). Also, to the naked eye I have quite a slim and athletic body but all I feel at times is my six pack and tight stomach are disappearing and love handles and double chins appearing. Might well be irrational but that's how I see it.

Used to have issues with attractiveness when I was younger, but that isn't really a problem anymore thankfully. However, there are really times I do have quite a poor self-body image and it's hard to express that.

Anybody else have anything?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 22 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I used to hate my body when younger but I am generally liking it these days! I am far more insecure about my face/ears (nearly got cosmetic surgery for them last year) and my worst thing for being irrational about is smiling in photos laugh.gif people will be like 'you look fine!' but I'll just plead with them to delete the photo! I cannot help but cringe at my smile most of the time in photos so my natural pose is quite moody haha.

To pick a couple of faults with my body these days, I have always wished that I was a bit taller! I am 5 ft 4 and wish I could add a few inches to that - wearing heels constantly is not great for my feet laugh.gif I've also put on a bit of weight over summer which is good for some areas but I wish I could take a tiny bit off my stomach tongue.gif

Trying not to let insecurities get me down as much as the past now though! It's a big thing for me that I'm comfortable to go out in public without wearing lipstick and having my glasses on all the time now, I don't think I would've been able to do that even as recently as early this year!

+Quote Post
HausofBallBalls
post Nov 22 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #3
Henrietta R Hippo
Member No.: 13,007

My brother (who is in the medical profession) claims that I have some sort of body dysmorphia mellow.gif Even though I weigh myself and I am in the healthy range (or perhaps a bit lower at times) and my jean sizes seem to be getting thinner and thinner I always feel CHUBBY and that I have a belly I need to get rid of. I have also been told it's my ass which sticks out and thus makes me look as if i'm wider than I actually am but it doesn't shake the bad feelings I get.

(I have a 26 / 28 inch waist and wear XS / try on XXS in stores and it takes a fair bit for me to post that here because that is fairly thin and it's paining me to say I want to be even THINNER in terms of how I look but I'm being honest~) So yes I do have irrational body image thoughts constantly and I can openly admit it which means I am not in denial or anything which I have been told is a healthy state to be in. Basically most of us have similar thoughts I would have thought ML Hammer, you're not alone!

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Nov 22 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #4
Prefer not to sleigh
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

I used to, but I think most people go through that way of thinking throughout teenage years. Everyone is different by looks and personality and people should accept how they look as everyone has different opinions on what is attractive etc., yes I'm one of those who aren't too fond of those who wear makeup every day (on nights out/special occasions is fine tho!) and relationship wise I'd rather be attracted to the person by what the look like naturally rather than being attracted to the makeup they are wearing

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Nov 22 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

I think going to the gym and eating healthily before uni has heightened any insecurities... it's much worse when you know what should be eating and feel like you're cheating when you eat badly!

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Nov 22 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #6
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I've always been very unhappy in my body image but my thoughts towards it aren't really irrational when it's things a lot of people comment, make judgements on etc

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Nov 22 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ʟɪɴᴅsᴇ @ Nov 22 2016, 08:12 PM) *
I've always been very unhappy in my body image but my thoughts towards it aren't really irrational when it's things a lot of people comment, make judgements on etc

Such as?

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 22 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #8
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Apart from my height (and my relative lack of it compared to other guys), my weight (and my inability to push it down to a more reasonable level), my growing-by-the-day widow's peaks, my under-chin acne, my nose's large bridge, and the fact that I become stubbly again mere minutes after shaving, not really.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Nov 22 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #9
I'm a 90s baaaaaaby
Member No.: 19,534

Great topic!

Really not sure what brought it on but I became very self-conscious in high school. I was always worried about looking fat or out of shape, even though I was an athlete and have always been skinny. laugh.gif It got to a point where I was gradually eating less and trying to hide it, it totally consumed my thoughts but thankfully it never turned into an eating disorder. Nowadays Iím still a disciplined eater but have managed to balance it with eating what I want. I do still struggle a little with being underweight and being told I need to eat more.

I appreciate this thread as Iíve had trouble discussing it with anyone in real life. It's helped me a lot to read about body image and realize that even the healthiest and fittest people beat themselves up over how they look. The negative thoughts never completely go away but generally weíre all our own worst critic and most people are too worried about how they look to care how you or anyone else looks. It took nearly ten years for me to get over my insecurities and I wish I could get some of those years back.

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Nov 22 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #10
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Nov 22 2016, 08:22 PM) *
Such as?

The usual, weight, hair colour etc

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Nov 22 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #11
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

double post oops

This post has been edited by ʟɪɴᴅsᴇʏ: Nov 22 2016, 09:58 PM

+Quote Post
Santa's Haz
post Nov 22 2016, 10:55 PM
Post #12
Why don't you be you and Ill Be Me
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,835

Hmmm I do feel like I have body issues too like weight, face like I know im not the most good looking in the world but It does get me down a tad and brings down my confidence...I mean I feel as if I have lost weight but I still feel a bit off which my image. It brings down your confidence a whole lot more if you see yourself in a certain way.

+Quote Post
Christmattias :/
post Nov 23 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #13
show ur id
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I wouldn't say I've ever really had issues with my body image, but when I was younger, I didnít take as much care of myself and partly based on that, I think it's fair to say my appearance has improved. I wish I had better skin though. And many years ago I used to just hate going to the hairdresserís so much that I just didnít go for ages and as a result my hair was sometimes scruffy and horrible laugh.gif I used to also be very thin and had bad posture.

One thing about the ďimageĒ I have of myself is a weird one though. I was talking to my sister about this recently, that I sometimes find that when someone takes a picture of me from far away, I look different to myself facially in the photo than what Iím used to seeing. Iím assuming it's because Iím used to seeing myself closer up in the mirror, so when I see myself from far away my face shape just looks off in some way. I guess photography can skew things a bit as well.

Oh yeah and like Jade, I actually used to be really insecure about wearing glasses when I was younger laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2016 - 02:40 PM