BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If you are broken, you do not have to stay broken~, and celebrity mental health
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofHorrors
post Nov 22 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 13,007

Spurred on primarily from the above moment from the AMAs over the weekend, what do you think of the issues facing major celebrities - exposing their mental and psychosis issues with the world and having to deal with these in the spotlight. The past month alone has seen Kid Cudi and Kanye West reveal their mental health problems.. Is it a recent occurance or has social media just brought it to our attention moreso?

Is it a positive that stars can now open up freely about their minds and fears and problems and share their problems with the spirit of hopefully helping others that are struggling? Are there any other celebrities that have opened up like this and do you think its cathartic for them or should it be kept private because they are often very private issues they are facing?

Hope Kid Cudi / Kanye and all the other stars having to deal with these problems can come back out stronger and inspire people to talk out more about their own disturbances. sad.gif

Also how brave is Selena up there? <3
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 22 2016, 07:28 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I think it's great for celebrities to be open about issues they may have. At the end of the day they are human just like us, and it could be a real comfort for someone going through a similar kind of thing to have someone high-profile going through it too and raising awareness. Perhaps not every detail of what is going on with them, but general awareness to start conversations about these things. It's much better to speak up rather than let things be a taboo area. I have personally noticed that mental illness is being discussed openly a lot more in the past couple of years and that's great, these things should be discussed and taken seriously.

As much as vloggers generally annoy me, Zoella addressing her anxiety openly to millions of younger fans is something good to come from the use of her platform.

+Quote Post
mr_pmt
post Nov 22 2016, 07:59 PM
Post #3
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I've definitely found when I've experienced struggles in this field that talking about it has really helped, mental health isn't a black and white thing and it's a broad spectrum - there's no textbook way of dealing with it and everyone's different but high profile figures in the public eye opening up can only be a good thing. It starts the conversation.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Nov 22 2016, 10:55 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

I think it is a real icebreaker that celebrities are opening up about the issues they have or had on a day to day basis.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Nov 22 2016, 11:43 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I'm in two minds. If people in the spotlight opening up about their personal struggles encourages discussion or comforts others going through similar experiences, then yes, that most definitely is a good thing. It feels like, finally, mental illness is being accepted as a genuine issue. Yet another part of me fears that things are moving too far to the opposite end of the spectrum - I'm worried that people are starting to act like mental illness is a trophy and something that can be used to bring adoration and sympathy. I see it far too often on social media with people giving far too much detail or not quite enough detail so that people can ask what's wrong. Perhaps their issues are indeed genuine, but this over-comfort in opening up just seems to trivialise things and encourages people to revel in being a victim. It's not fair on those who do genuinely suffer from mental issues who are again forced to keep quiet in fear of people assuming they're just joining the bandwagon or overreacting. I just worry that celebrities opening up about their personal life encourages this as well as the positives it brings.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 23 2016, 12:46 AM
Post #6
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I still can't at Selena's speech, god I love her </3

I do think it's really important for famous people to speak up about these things, there is such a stigma still when it comes to talking about mental health and who better to break the boundaries and raise awareness than those who are constantly in the public eye and have huge platforms like award shows to speak out on? As someone who has been through these sorts of struggles, it helps to know that even these huge stars you think have everything and are invincible can struggle just like me, anyone can be hit by this sort of thing and nobody has to struggle on their own.

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Nov 23 2016, 12:59 AM
Post #7
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I can't express enough how important I think it is that famous people (anyone with a platform or following really) speak up about their experiences with mental health. I feel like mental health problems have always been a bit of a taboo subject, it wasn't something people spoke about a few years ago even as there's so much stigma attached to so many mental illnesses or conditions. Awareness really is key here, If you've got people in the spotlight talking about depression or anxiety or bipolar disorder or whatever it is they have experience with, more and more people are going to be that little bit more educate and might be inspired to go out and get more info on mental health after knowing someone they look up to is related. More than anything though, celebrities sharing their stories let's others going through similar things know they're not alone and that you can get through it.

This post has been edited by ʟɪɴᴅsᴇʏ: Nov 23 2016, 01:00 AM

+Quote Post
Hadji
post Nov 23 2016, 01:47 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,386
   No Gallery Pics

On World Mental Health Day this year, Scotty T from Geordie Shore revealed himself to be suffering with ADHD

This post has been edited by Hadji: Nov 23 2016, 01:47 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th December 2016 - 10:13 AM