BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Internet Education
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Nov 30 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #1
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Guess who's got yet another intensive research project at uni mellow.gif

This one is eight weeks long and on new ways to educate people using the Internet, technology, digital media etc I swear it's a design course I'm doing unsure.gif

So what have you learnt from the Internet? Where and how have you learned such things? What gaps do you think the Internet fills that traditional education systems don't? Any pros and cons about these types of education...

I don't really know where I'm headed with project, i only got it out today but this seems like a good place to start, get some insights from you lovely people angel.gif

For me, the Internet has been really useful in finding out more about social issues facing minorities etc
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
🏆award🏆inary
post Nov 30 2016, 10:39 PM
Post #2
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

A fascinating project. I would be interested to hear your findings, it's certainly the most mainstream way to get information on the go.

+Quote Post
Christmattias :/
post Nov 30 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #3
show ur id
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Well quite obviously there's the opportunity for all sorts of limitless independent learning, which has pretty self-explanatory benefits, but from personal experience I find that sometimes you need quite a lot of patience and self-control to actually sit down online and learn whatever it is you want/need to learn about, because you just go from website to website and end up somewhere completely different to what you were supposed to be doing.

I always tell myself I'm going to make more of an effort to read up on important stuff online such as politics or other things (I do sometimes, and find that kind of thing interesting once I get into it), but mostly I read up on things that I'm more personally invested in.

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Nov 30 2016, 10:58 PM
Post #4
Prefer not to sleigh
Member No.: 21,005

I guess this forum has taught me about life and social topics and that's so much more important than other things like who was president x years ago. But aside, I subscribe to some interesting YouTube channels like VSauce, ASAPScience and Matthew Santoro who do great videos biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
CHOCOLATE BANTA
post Nov 30 2016, 10:59 PM
Post #5
Prefer not to sleigh
Member No.: 21,005

Haven't double posted in a while ohmy.gif Lotti get off my account x

This post has been edited by CHOCOLATE BANTA: Nov 30 2016, 11:00 PM

+Quote Post
Cassidy
post Dec 1 2016, 12:32 AM
Post #6
i'm massive
Member No.: 41

It really depends what area of education you're analysing. In terms of subjective matter there's definitely a lot more scope to easily access both sides of an argument and draw your own conclusions. Something that wasn't really that readily available previously unless you took the time to read up on the subject through a library or other non-digital media. I found the internet one of the most powerful tools in honing the skills required to critically analyse something. However up until the higher ranks of secondary school and beyond that isn't something that needs to be utilised in the education system.

+Quote Post
SᴀɴᴛᴀsLɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ
post Dec 1 2016, 10:20 AM
Post #7
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks guys

My brief has five "areas" to look into where I've basically to home in on one but I'm probably going to do a bit into all of them as I can already see a little overlap. The first is "how can we encourage those with good digital skills to become innovative and creative?", I've taken that as encouraging young people who use the Internet frequently to really utilise the knowledge they're learning daily or sharing it with those who aren't as keyed into online technology as others. I feel like that's probably my best angle as I can hopefully go into the level of social awareness and using certain sites as a platform for minorities to have their say and reach more people etc

The other ones are mainly about using digital technology to teach people in the later part of their lives new skills to help them progress in their careers or find new jobs or just better/maintain skills they've already got, especially if they're over 60. I think there's even scope for teaching the elderly how to Internet too laugh.gif

It's a difficult topic when it's so broad but hopefully that will actually make things easier and give me more flexibility in the direction I cam go in, I'm trying not to think about the end product I've to come up with and just on what I can research atm laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Dec 1 2016, 11:43 AM
Post #8
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I'd say the internet has taught me about social issues/current affairs and helped form my opinions way more than school ever has.

Also learned a ton of useless-to-everyday-life chart facts from the internet too magic.gif

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Dec 1 2016, 11:56 AM
Post #9
On This Day in P!nk History...
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 590

I'm not sure if you can include podcasts in this? I guess so as you have to download them. I've been listening to podcasts for the last 10 months or so, usually true crime and 'how stuff works' podcasts, I rarely listen to music on my iPod anymore because I love learning about various subjects on these podcasts

+Quote Post
Slade
post Dec 1 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

The internet has simplified researching a hell of a lot. I still source journalistic books for my Uni essays and don't solely rely on the internet, but the use of search engines to find out information has been a godsend over the years. Even away from academia, the internet has been amazing to learn things just for fun as well. Not even always text based, there are many educational YouTube channels out there that are also handy. So the internet has been a great way in the approach to learning, with a lot of multimedia content out there.

Like Dan said, the internet has taught me a lot of things that school never did. For instance, we only ever really dabbled in Politics in school but I've learnt so much more about that area through the internet. Plus lots of random things like chart trivia, the broad scale of sexualities out there and random memes. Basically the internet is a magical fountain of just about everything which makes it a wonderful place.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2016 - 02:17 AM