BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Art of Titles
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz~
post Dec 5 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #1
too-too-roo
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

If you know your title and know yourself, you need not fear the reception of a thousand creative works. If you know yourself but not your title, for each push forward you make your lack of focus will drive you back. If you know neither your title nor yourself you will succumb to writer's block ~ someone who's definitely not Sun Tzu

Oh, what the heck, I mentioned it to Mattias, might as well start this and see where it goes. Ironically, the hardest part of making this thread is finding the right title. So I settled on parodying one of the greatest military minds in history to reflect the trouble I always have when coming up with titles for stuff. And also because parody titles are glorious, if only because they're drawn from a pool of familiarity.

ANYWAY, what are your favourite titles from the world of entertainment? Titles, not favourite songs or TV shows or whatever, the tagline itself. Especially TV episode titles if you have any, I always love looking at lists of those because those so often have beautiful references - of course it helps if the TV show itself has an interesting or not entirely descriptive title (i.e. Breaking Bad, Your Lie In April). And what makes a good title for you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Вuzzjack
post Dec 5 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #2
Hello and welcome to Buzzjack!
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

I wonder if anyone confuses the new UK 'Meet The Parents' gameshow on their TV set listings (at the bottom of the screen for the channel) for a showing of the film if they switch it on during an advert break? ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Snowsnake: Dec 5 2016, 08:21 PM

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Dec 5 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Another gentle reminder that I really need to watch that anime and find out what exact lie was told in April. Thanks!

I don't have a favourite title per sť, but the best ones would be ones that are very visual, and roll off the tongue beautifully. In terms of albums, "Red Earth & Pouring Rain" is a great recent title, as it conjours up a vivid visual image, and it is very satisfying to say.

Also, a good title that features either/or a pun, or some clever alliteration is also welcome.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsᴇʏ
post Dec 5 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #4
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

"Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued"
"Champagne for My Real Friends, Real Pain for My Sham Friends"
"I Slept with Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me"

by Fall Out Boy

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Dec 5 2016, 08:38 PM
Post #5
too-too-roo
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

Yes, Fall Out Boy I had in mind - they had a very post-ironic phase with lots of those. Though I think my favourite is '7 Minutes In Heaven (Atavan Halan)' because it feels rather allusionary.

Personally, I find myself drawn to bands and TV shows and their songs and episodes partly because of the names that they give those works. Music aside, I feel so much more fulfilled that I'm listening to (as an example that's always at the forefront of my mind) Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People than <Firstname> <Lastname> - Home, or worse, Ghost. Which ultimately means nothing.

Or like when I look at a TV show I'm watching, I'm always more hyped for episodes with good names, whether that's because they draw from literary tradition (Trek has a couple of great ones, like this pair of episodes made awesome by Dante, In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light that in just three words each indicates some serious happenings are going to go down) or are punning off some already excellent title from another work e.g. I think it's Fringe that has an episode called Do Shapeshifters Dream Of Electric Sheep that's obviously riffing off Philip K Dick's famous novel but it just sticks in your mind anyway.

+Quote Post
LexC♀
post Dec 5 2016, 09:38 PM
Post #6
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

QUOTE(SᴀɴᴛᴀsL&# @ Dec 5 2016, 08:26 PM) *
"Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued"
"Champagne for My Real Friends, Real Pain for My Sham Friends"
"I Slept with Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me"

by Fall Out Boy

Those are all pretty good but early Panic/! at the Disco is pretty much the master of this style of title. Such as;

"The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage"
"Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off"
"There's a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet"

+Quote Post
Mattias
post Dec 5 2016, 09:46 PM
Post #7
//
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I love album titles that are a play on words, but that wordplay becomes a meaning that works for what the album is. For example, Faithless has an album called Outrospective, as opposed to introspective, which was followed by a remix album of tracks from that album called Reperspective biggrin.gif Makes sense right!

One of Fiona Apple's albums has the full-length title of 'When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right' mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Cody Burgess
post Dec 5 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #8
Last night took an L but tonight I bounce back
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Dec 5 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #9
Always Watching...
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Christmattias :/ @ Dec 5 2016, 09:46 PM) *
One of Fiona Apple's albums has the full-length title of 'When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might so When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right' mellow.gif

I raise you Chumbawumba's 13th studio album:

The Boy Bands Have Won, and All the Copyists and the Tribute Bands and the TV Talent Show Producers Have Won, If We Allow Our Culture to Be Shaped by Mimicry, Whether from Lack of Ideas or from Exaggerated Respect. You Should Never Try to Freeze Culture. What You Can Do Is Recycle That Culture. Take Your Older Brother's Hand-Me-Down Jacket and Re-Style It, Re-Fashion It to the Point Where It Becomes Your Own. But Don't Just Regurgitate Creative History, or Hold Art and Music and Literature as Fixed, Untouchable and Kept Under Glass. The People Who Try to 'Guard' Any Particular Form of Music Are, Like the Copyists and Manufactured Bands, Doing It the Worst Disservice, Because the Only Thing That You Can Do to Music That Will Damage It Is Not Change It, Not Make It Your Own. Because Then It Dies, Then It's Over, Then It's Done, and the Boy Bands Have Won

Spill that truth tea *.*

Always love a weird or interesting title (unless it seems purposefully made to be stupidly pretentious), I agree with pretty much everything Iz said - song wise, the recent UP winner - Let's Eat Grandma - Eat Shiitake Mushrooms, that instantly sticks in the mind and in some cases it can make me pay more attention to the song and indeed it was a rewarding listen!

Same with films/TV shows, one of my favourite film titles (and films in general!) is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and given that's primarily a genre I don't have a lot of time for, that's one way to get me interested in it!

+Quote Post
Jade 🐱
post Dec 5 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I used to live for Hannah Montana episode titles incorporating songs.

- 'You're So Vain, You Probably Think This Zit is About You'
- 'Lilly's Mom Has Got It Goin' On'
- 'Hannah in the Streets with Diamonds'
- 'Knock Knock Knockin' on Jackson's Head'

laugh.gif

But yes, my favourite titles are usually ones that roll nicely off the tongue or are interesting/clever. Pretentiousness and dumbing down/bad grammar are a no, though. 'The Way I Are' only gets away with it 'cause it's such a good song.

+Quote Post
dead meme.
post Dec 5 2016, 11:36 PM
Post #11
Taking everything now by the skin of my teeth until I learn
Member No.: 21,005

Has to be Owl City's metaphorical titles for me *.* Too many to name ofc but Strawberry Avalanche and Ocean Eyes OTTOMH although they basically describe the lyrics of the songs tongue.gif

Just interesting/thought provoking/funny ones are my fave

+Quote Post
Jacob.
post Dec 7 2016, 01:44 AM
Post #12
Jacob Alan
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Owl City is a good one Adam, especially looking at ATBAB tracks. "If My Heart Was A House" tho. wub.gif

Death Cab For Cutie's lyrics are particularly amazing (Ben Gibbard is an amazing lyricist and songwriter) but titles such as "The Photo Album" (album- that one's just mildly amusing to me), "Death Of An Interior Decorator", "We Looked Like Giants", "Tiny Vessels", "Transatlanticism", "Brothers On A Hotel Bed", "I Will Possess Your Heart" (stalker song x), "Grapevine Fires", "You Are A Tourist" and even "I Will Follow You Into The Dark", are all leave you wanting to know more (or at least does with me) because just looking at the titles they seem meaningless but with context from the lyrics they make perfect sense.

Relient K are also pretty amazing with titles. Just a few examples: "Devastation And Reform", "Crayons Can Melt On Us For All I Care", "The Only Thing Worse Than Bearing A Dead Horse Is Betting On One", "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been", "I Don't Need A Soul (To Hold)", "Apathetic Way To Be" and their fabulous album titles "Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do", "The Bird And The Bee Sides" "Is For Karaoke" (let's see who gets that) and Christmas album "Let It Snow Baby... Let It Reindeer".

Kinda hoping the titles will speak for themselves but my favourite titles tend to have a hidden meanings, make puns or are just frickin awesome. I know I've steered towards music only but eh, priorities.

+Quote Post
Cody Burgess
post Dec 7 2016, 01:51 AM
Post #13
Last night took an L but tonight I bounce back
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I can't believe we're all glossing over Majela's discography tbh like this and this

+Quote Post
Mattias
post Dec 7 2016, 11:49 PM
Post #14
//
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(CodySleighBell-y @ Dec 7 2016, 01:51 AM) *
I can't believe we're all glossing over Majela's discography tbh like this and this

I can't believe I sent Majela to the BJSC 10 year anniversary contest mellow.gif

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Dec 8 2016, 12:07 AM
Post #15
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

chicken run - escape, or die frying'

+Quote Post
Cucumbruella
post Dec 8 2016, 12:17 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,403

QUOTE(jakewild @ Dec 8 2016, 12:07 AM) *
chicken run - escape, or die frying'

!!!

+Quote Post
Вuzzjack
post Dec 8 2016, 01:30 AM
Post #17
Hello and welcome to Buzzjack!
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cucumberella @ Dec 8 2016, 12:17 AM) *
!!!

Caution Poultry In Motion

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2017 - 09:39 PM