BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Animal welfare at pet stores, A SERIOUS LOTITA THREAD FOR U SPADZ
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
l♀tita
post Dec 5 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #1
feminist icon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,777

This has been something on my mind the last couple of months in particular as I've been applying to jobs at pet stores! I was halfway through an application for one particular big name store where I found myself unable to apply, because I've read bad reports online about how they handle their pets. I find it quite interesting because despite shopping at this place on several occasions before without thinking twice, the thought of WORKING there I couldn't bring myself to even apply to them, just based on a few reports ohmy.gif

So what are your thoughts on shops which sell live animals? Do you think it should be completely banned, or do you think there should be several provisions put in place by Government to ensure the welfare of animals?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Dec 5 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #2
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

small animals like birds rabbits and hamsters are fine, They don't take much looking after but cats and dogs are a no.

+Quote Post
l♀tita
Post #3
feminist icon

Personally I'm quite excited atm, as I have an interview lined up for a store which seems to be INCREDIBLY concerned about the welfare of their animals! If I get the job (which also depends if they'll accept the fact I can only work term time laugh.gif) I'll get given very intensive training before being able to handle and sell the animals. They also don't sell animals as surprise gifts, and ensure they meet the primary keeper first. In addition the animals get played with and cared everyday. THIS is the ideal situation for me, I don't completely disagree with selling live animals but I think both shops, and potential buyers have to be SO careful to make sure the animals get the best quality of life.

+Quote Post
♀mdh♀
Post #4
baby, there's nothing holdin' me back
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

It shouldn't be legal. Sanctuaries exist for a reason, are far less financially fuelled and a large amount of profits from them go to animal charities, or help sustain the business itself. Plus they're ran by true animal lovers, and they are far less populated than shops, that are the non-killing equivalent of battery farming.

+Quote Post
l♀tita
post Dec 5 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #5
feminist icon

QUOTE(Aquamaqueesha @ Dec 5 2016, 10:26 PM) *
small animals like birds rabbits and hamsters are fine, They don't take much looking after but cats and dogs are a no.

yeah that's an important distinction i should have made! the selling of cats and dogs should defo be left to professional breeders

+Quote Post
l♀tita
post Dec 5 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #6
feminist icon

QUOTE(twentyonemdh @ Dec 5 2016, 10:26 PM) *
It shouldn't be legal. Sanctuaries exist for a reason, are far less financially fuelled and a large amount of profits from them go to animal charities, or help sustain the business itself. Plus they're ran by true animal lovers, and they are far less populated than shops, that are the non-killing equivalent of battery farming.

I have to say I disagree here! I've been to quite a few smaller pet shops where they do really care for the animals, and the workers are really knowledgable and passionate.

+Quote Post
♀mdh♀
post Dec 5 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #7
baby, there's nothing holdin' me back
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(angel_lotita @ Dec 5 2016, 10:28 PM) *
I have to say I disagree here! I've been to quite a few smaller pet shops where they do really care for the animals, and the workers are really knowledgable and passionate.

yep! but the chains of shops i mean, theres no doubting the safety of independent small stores biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dead meme.
post Dec 5 2016, 11:31 PM
Post #8
Taking everything now by the skin of my teeth until I learn
Member No.: 21,005

As long as the store and it's employees know their stuff and keep them healthy etc. (Treating the pets like their own) then I think it's fine.

+Quote Post
Cody Burgess
post Dec 6 2016, 12:28 AM
Post #9
Last night took an L but tonight I bounce back
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I've seen some pet stores also function as shelters (my local Petco and PetSmart do this) and every so often they have an adoption event where they hand the opportunity to adopt one of the pets there. I remember searching for dog food a couple years back and I ended up playing with a few kittens and birds. It was kinda cute. I do agree with Spadam, as long as there are specific guidelines that the employees must follow regarding pet safety (so like the Humane Society or something) then it's perfectly fine.

I just wanna know, Lotti: how the hell did you find a pet store that allegedly practices animal cruelty?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2017 - 11:52 AM