BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's 2016 Top 40 so far this month #18, this is for desire ~ // + links + commentary
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post 16th December 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
The XX hold steady with the appropriately titled ‘On Hold’ this week. Just below them, two and three have a fiery theme as BLACKPINK also hold steady at 2, and Girl Blue shockingly reaches a new peak of #3 with Fire Under Water’s (long-lasting for me) 9th consecutive charting week. The Midnight’s indie gem The Comeback Kid spends a 4th consecutive week in the top 4, and South African electro-swingers Goodluck round out this week’s eclectic top 5 with Find Me In The Forest’s new peak. Yogi and AlunaGeorge, Annabel Jones and Nebbra and Keke Palmer reach new peaks within the top ten this week, and Elliphant finds herself doubling up at both 8 and 9 alongside Peking Duk and Skrillex respectively. Further down the chart, Gaga’s Diamond Heart zooms up 20 places to become her second top 20 from the Joanne era, and third top 40 charter, following Perfect Illusion and John Wayne.

New entries come this week from Little Mix, Young Summer, Joe Goddard, Carmody, Kate Bush, Vaults, XYLO, MishaCatt, Nicki Minaj, Burak Yeter with Danelle Sandoval, Fickle Friends, Imagine Dragons, Sia, Gabrielle Aplin and Nadia Tehran. Quite a few really! More on those all in the next post; for now, here’s the whole chart list as it stands, counting up to this week ending Dec. 15th:

01 The XX - On Hold [29-7-1-1]
02 BLACKPINK - Playing with Fire [12-1-2-2]
03 Girl Blue - Fire Under Water [40-29-16-18-36-32-10-6-3]
04 The Midnight - The Comeback Kid [29-4-3-4-4]
05 Goodluck - Find Me in the Forest [34-14-8-7-5]
06 Yogi ft. AlunaGeorge + Less is Moore - Blow You Up [21-9-8-6]
07 Annabel Jones ft. Nebbra - Asking for a Friend [34-7]
08 Peking Duk ft. Elliphant - Stranger [14-6-4-3-8]
09 Elliphant ft. Skrillex - Only Getting Younger [26-12-10-9]
10 Keke Palmer - Hands Free [26-14-10]
11 Sleigh Bells - Baptism by Fire [13-9-11]
12 J Sutta - Distortion [20-12]
13 Lady Gaga - Diamond Heart [36-36-13]
14 Little Mix - No More Sad Songs [N]
15 Patty Crash ft. Kronic - Pictures [25-15]
16 Young Summer - Heart in Slo Mo [N]
17 Warpaint - Dre [21-17]
18 Gypsy & the Cat - Paris [26-18]
19 Sia, Miguel, Queen Latifah - Satisfied [38-18-13-19]
20 Carmody - For Desire [N]
21 Joan as Police Woman - Overloaded [21-22-16-17-21]
22 The Weeknd - Starboy [12-4-6-27-X3-40-18-22]
23 Joe Goddard - Lose Your Love [N]
24 Nicki Minaj - Black Barbies [N]
25 Alicia Keys ft. A$AP Rocky - Blended Family [24-20-15-20-X3-32-25]
26 Empire of the Sun - Friends [33-17-15-26]
27 Vaults - Bloodflow [N]
28 MishaCatt x Skolhaus - Another Dimension [N]
29 Kate Bush - Among Angels (2014) [N]
30 George Maple ft. GoldLink - Sticks and Horses [9-6-2-14-33-X11-16-30]
31 XYLO - Get Closer [N]
32 Burak Yeter ft. Danelle Sandoval - Tuesday [N]
33 Sleigh Bells - Champions of Unrestricted Beauty [18-21-24-X6-33]
34 The Tapes - You Know It's Real [13-8-14-5-34]
35 Nadia Tehran - Superstars [N]
36 Fickle Friends - Brooklyn [N]
37 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You [N]
38 Vaults - Hurricane [39-38]
39 Imagine Dragons - Levitate [N]
40 Sia - Never Give Up [N]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)
Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 (1)
Empire Of The Sun - High And Low (1)
YoungR - Out Of My System (2)
Noonie Bao - Reminds Me (1)
Empire Of The Sun - To Her Door (1)
Sabrina Carpenter – Run and Hide (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Sean Paul + Anne-Marie - Rockabye(2)
BLACKPINK – Playing With Fire (1)
The XX – On Hold (~)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 16th December 2016, 01:09 PM
Post #2
Group icon
A fun week with plenty new entries, although the top 10 and 20 remain largely static. On Hold and BlackPink retain last week's stranglehold at the top; it's both groups' third running week in the top 10, holding off all challengers. Long-runners abound, as Joan As Police Woman notches up another week in the low 20s-high teens, while George Maple, Starboy, and Blended Family extend their chart longevity with second rounds of consecutive weeks. The aforementioned Fire Under Water becomes the longest-runner, soaring into the top 5 for the first time in its 9th chart week; a slow burner, apt, given the title. Elliphant, Vaults, Sia and Sleigh Bells all double-up in this week's chart, and Nicki Minaj charts her first solo just as the year closes, as Black Barbies, her cover of Rae Sremmurd's Black Beatles, enters to replace the original. Kate Bush also sees another entry from Before The Dawn, the recently released live recorded album of her 2014 concert series.

And now on to this week's links:

Little Mix kick week 18 off with, for me, their first new entry since Hair - Shout Out To My Ex has been a slow burner. No More Sad Songs is probably the most on-trend, dance-influenced track from new album Glory Days, which has always appealed to me more than the pure pop some members on here go for. It's a nice turn for the group to go down as with this era they cement their place as the UK's top dog girl group of the modern day. Sorry, The Saturdays and M.O. This week's highest new entry, Little Mix with No More Sad Songs at #14.

Young Summer breaks the one-hit under-the-radar indie act curse as she charts a second song from her EP, as I went back to revisit her after previous hit Paused Parade from a few months ago. This is a lot faster and similar to something Gabrielle Aplin or Billie Eilish would release, than the pure early Ellie Goulding-style ballads she's done before. A good discovery. This week's #16.

Another one that's been floating around the lower reaches of my chart for a few months; as my chart is composed of everything I've played off both Spotify and tracks I've purchased or own, there's often a few of these that float about and pick up repeat plays, just like older songs in the official chart get trickle sales. Carmody made it into the playlist a little this last month which sees her boost into the top 40 for the first time. An indie chill song of a modern style with Carmody's husky, dark vocals, a bit like Suzanne Vega or even a deeper Dido, great to walk about to and think. Autumny. A strong debut at #20 this week.

The Hot Chip frontman's second solo hit for me and first in about five years, following 'Gabriel', which some of you might remember. The band had a good year last year, charting about half of their 2015 album which diversified from their usual glitch-and-ballads into funk, disco and out-and-out dance with guest vocalists. I'm not quite sold on this one, but it charts as this week’s #23 by virtue of playlist repeat plays.

The last track from MishCatt's EP is a retooled reworking of lead single Another Dimension, which I feel greatly improves the track, adding horns and a dreamier vibe to the more upbeat original. It's Skolhaus's only work that I've found so far, and one of the first for MishCatt - maybe a pair to keep an eye on in 2017? This week's #28.

A BuzzJack recommendation that I first came across on someone else's chart a couple weeks ago. Debuts at #32 and is likely set to rise next week. A slightly ethnic, Eastern-European style club song a little like Mr Saxobeat or Calabria.

A pair of film ones now. Like on their last album, Imagine Dragons again drop the rock roots, this time going for a more alt-indie-lite Twenty One Pilots-esque feel on this one. Rowdy. Sneaks in at #39 this week.

Sia's fourth (or fifth, if you're counting the Sean Paul Cheap Thrills separately) charter this year makes 2016 by far her most successful year in terms of volume. Never Give Up, from the film Lion, follows Satisfied, The Greatest, and Cheap Thrills. Expect this one to rise, too. Debuts quite low at #40, but expect this to change.

Gabrielle Aplin, who I had thought was as finished as Duffy, resurfaces with this tropical house influenced bopper that's much more uptempo than her previous piano ballads and ad soundtracks. Miss You is tipped to do well in 2017 and might herald Aplin's return from the bottom of the pile. She's got a funky new hairdo and 60s style in the video, too. #37.

Fickle Friends join the decent-band-with-a-rubbish-name club. I'd come across them briefly before (Could Be Wrong, and Swim, in early 2015) but they didn't really catch my attention. Brooklyn though is a barnstomper, the kind of euphoric synth-led indie track that would have hit it big in 08-09, in that last moment when indie bands could reliably have hit singles. Comparisons? The Naked and Famous (Young Blood), Black Kids (Boyfriend), Florence (Rabbit Heart), even Marina. Well worth a look, this one. This week's #36.

And to close off the week another BuzzJack rec. Nadia Tehran recently released an EP and this, Superstars, was my standout. The youtube vid appears to be a bit hit and miss, so check it out on Spotify perhaps - track #5 of her Life Is Cheap, Death Is Free EP. Another to keep an eye on in the new year. Although having said that - few of last year's crop ended up really catching me, besides Anne-Marie on Rockabye. Nadia Tehran makes her chart debut on my personals in 2016:18, at #35.

And that's the lot for this week. Be sure and check out next week's crop and what's ended up charting - will The XX remain the star at the top of the tree?! Also keep an eye out for my top 100 of the year countdown, which will be starting off in a few weeks in this personal charts forum. As ever I appreciate your comments and chat, and any tips for other new tracks you might have! Jupiter out.

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: 21st December 2016, 08:50 AM

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 21st December 2016, 12:16 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
Hey Jupiter,

The xx managed two months at #1? ohmy.gif

Gabriella Aplin entering though. happy.gif

If you'd like to view my own personal chart, created 16th December 2016, the link is HERE. I'd love to hear your views! smile.gif

Cool chart from you this week, thanks for sharing! cool.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 21st December 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Hi Jupiter

Again, nice to see On Hold at the top biggrin.gif

Great to see Tuesday, Never Give Up & Brooklyn enter as well!

Great chart biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 22nd December 2016, 02:02 AM
Post #5
Group icon
QUOTE(awardinary™ @ Dec 21 2016, 12:16 AM) *
Hey Jupiter,

The xx managed two months at #1? ohmy.gif

Gabriella Aplin entering though. happy.gif

If you'd like to view my own personal chart, created 16th December 2016, the link is HERE. I'd love to hear your views! smile.gif

Cool chart from you this week, thanks for sharing! cool.gif

Heyyy tongue.gif

Not quite two months; the way I do my charts is they cover the last month's tracks, but update every week. I started off doing week-by-weeks but I was getting nearly a whole top 40 refresh every week because I get new music every week, and it was a bit ridiculous! This is better to see long-runners.

Yeah, who would've expected Ms. Aplin to make a comeback like that eh?!

Thanks for commenting smile.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post 22nd December 2016, 02:04 AM
Post #6
Group icon
QUOTE(WiseManFromLeeds @ Dec 21 2016, 06:04 PM) *
Hi Jupiter

Again, nice to see On Hold at the top biggrin.gif

Great to see Tuesday, Never Give Up & Brooklyn enter as well!

Great chart biggrin.gif

It's on course to top next week too unless upset happens!

Tuesday and Brooklyn are real discoveries and Never Give Up will go on to be a contender too I think!

Thanks for your thoughts! smile.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:20 PM