BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cultural stereotypes vs cultural comments: Just attitude?, Finding that happy medium...?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
popchartfreak
post Dec 17 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

All communities have variations in culture. Is it ok to point out quirks of culture in a non-critical fashion?

For instance, i observe around 40 to 50 mostly elderly Germans get up before breakfast in the canaries hotel I'm in to put towels on the best sunloungers for catching the early sun. Saying that might come over as racist, but it is a tiddly minor difference in attitude among tourists.

The Faily Mail would turn that into a front-page anti-German slagging-off, but you might argue that it sheds more light on the German tendancy to plan ahead, make an effort and get organised, and the UK tendancy to just doss about and see what happens on the spur of the moment. Much like our respective politicians.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hiß
post Dec 17 2016, 01:26 PM
Post #2
Hiss Hiss Bish
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Dec 17 2016, 11:05 AM) *
All communities have variations in culture. Is it ok to point out quirks of culture in a non-critical fashion?

For instance, i observe around 40 to 50 mostly elderly Germans get up before breakfast in the canaries hotel I'm in to put towels on the best sunloungers for catching the early sun. Saying that might come over as racist, but it is a tiddly minor difference in attitude among tourists.

The Faily Mail would turn that into a front-page anti-German slagging-off, but you might argue that it sheds more light on the German tendancy to plan ahead, make an effort and get organised, and the UK tendancy to just doss about and see what happens on the spur of the moment. Much like our respective politicians.

I wouldn't say it was racist. There are certain quirks about cultures you do notice, for example I observed while on a trip to Rome that a lot of people there tended to go to coffee bars at 2 in the morning near the hotel I stayed in. smile.gif Whether they were all native Romans I don't know, or whether there was some tourists too....

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2017 - 09:29 PM