BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reflecting on 2016
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post Dec 29 2016, 09:39 PM
Post #1
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

So yes, it's been an utterly shit year for the world as I think we've all established, but I think we should have a thread for your OWN year in review and how it's been for you personally. I mean it'd be nice to hear it's been going well for some people despite the doom and gloom around us~

How has 2016 treated you - ups, downs, anything in between, share it here, elaboration plz and not just one word posts!!11 It's why I love these threads lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Dec 29 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I didn't have a great year tbh as I didn't get the GCSE grades that I was hoping for sad.gif
Leaving school meant that many of my friends are part of the past now sad.gif

Although I did have a great last few months of the year, I went to Turkey which was nice as always and Christmas was also great! I've made a good start in sixth form and I really enjoy my subjects so that's something I suppose sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Dec 29 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

A long post I shall grant you, Chez! kink.gif

2016 has mostly been a very good year for my personal life. Easily the best thing to happen to me this year as you all know was entering my first ever long-term relationship, with Bray. There were initial worries about how everything would go with it being long-distance and translating an internet connection into real life, but over 20 meet-ups later it has been nothing short of amazing. We will have been together for a year next week and we're still going as strong as ever. So it's filled my life with a lot of love and happiness this year. Even when things aren't great in my life otherwise, it will always be a comfort and exciting to know that it won't be too long until we have a date lined up in the not too distant future. I have become more happy in myself and just generally more confident as a result of this as well. I never expected to be in a long-term relationship ever! This time last year, I would have laughed if someone had asked me if I thought that would be happening for me this year. It just kinda happened and easily turned out to be the biggest highlight of 2016 by quite some distance <3

There have been other good things as well! My first year of Uni concluded in May and my grades were good so the hard work paid off. First term of second year was extremely stressful and was taking a toll on my happiness/positive outlook, but the moment that final assignment was handed in, I felt free and like myself again. This brings me on to my main idea for a new year's resolution... to try and stress less about things. My mind is a bit of a mess and I need to be more calm about things. Anyway, fingers crossed that second year will result in some good grades too. One good thing to take out of this year at Uni is that I have a really close friendship group now! They've been a great help with reassuring me with many things, like that I'm not the only one leaving an assignment to the last minute haha.

There haven't been that many lows this year really! My great nan passing away is the only major negative this year. Her funeral was pretty sad and she'll be missed for sure. All of my great grandparents have died over the past two years now so hopefully I won't have to worry about death again for a while.

Other highlights this year were going on holiday to Portugal, seeing Melanie Martinez and The Bootleg Beatles live, meeting three BuzzJack members + doing work experience with my local BBC Radio station. 2016 has been very good on the whole for my personal life, I wish I could have said the same for the state of current affairs.

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Dec 29 2016, 10:21 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

No point reflecting on 2016, just look ahead to 2017!

As a wise man once said "time doesn't stand still for anyone"

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Dec 29 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Houdini @ Dec 29 2016, 10:21 PM) *
No point reflecting on 2016, just look ahead to 2017!

As a wise man once said "time doesn't stand still for anyone"

We're only reflecting on how things went this year blink.gif

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Dec 29 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Jade - I bet the work experience was amazing! What did you have to do if you don't mind me asking? sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Dec 29 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Dec 29 2016, 10:27 PM) *
We're only reflecting on how things went this year blink.gif

I know. But what I'm saying is that It's better to focus on the future than dwell on the past, especially in your case where you just mentioned that this wasn't a good year for you.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Dec 29 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Dec 29 2016, 10:29 PM) *
Jade - I bet the work experience was amazing! What did you have to do if you don't mind me asking? sleep.gif

It was fantastic, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has an interest in journalism/specifically radio! You got to shadow the presenters and learn exactly what goes on in studio, help out the technical team by phoning up listeners (/editing as this particular station edits their news and sends it to another to use), you got given lots of guests to phone up and arrange for certain shows and could also source your own guests through social media if appropriate, go out with reporters and given stories to cover yourself (I ended up doing a story about Pokémon Go as this was when the craze was just beginning laugh.gif) etc... just lots of valuable learning really of different aspects of radio *.* Lots packed into just a week!

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Dec 29 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #9
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

2016 has been a pretty big year for me although it really doesn't look like it to anyone other than myself as I'm really the only one who knows the extent of things. It's probably gonna sound dumb but it's the stand out thing for me this year. (Also seeing PVRIS and Halsey angel.gif heart.gif)

I really struggled this year with things only I could control or figure out. I was under so much pressure with balancing work and uni and there was so much riding on the grade I got at the end of 2nd year as if I hadn't have got the grade I did, I wouldn't be on my course right now, I probably would be done with uni and God knows where that would have led me. I was a total mess, especially around May as I had my graded unit, things were getting so on top of me and like I went to my parents and lecturer about it but they didn't really get it, they thought it was just a simple case of cutting back hours at work so I could put more time into uni but my work was having none of that. I broke down a couple of times, which if you know me, is so out of character. I deal with things internally and on my own so to have reached a point on several occasions where all I could do was cry (it just happened okay I had no control) was really a sign that I had to sort myself out. I share a fair bit of my life on here so none of this post will be all that new to the majority of you but I guess seeing it as one post all linking is??? Anyway I thought it was around this time that I started a private online journal as a way to sort of gain perspective on my issues, idk it just really helps me to type out my thoughts, it sort of clears my head. Turns out my first journal entry was in March (lexas death month go figure).

So like on top of all the work and uni shit going on, my brain thought it was the best time to bring up every self doubt and surpressed feeling I've ever had about myself, like I have never in my life been so unsure about who I was or what I wanted. It was quite scary tbh and it was all these thoughts about myself that led me to make the journal. That was the best decision I could have made tbh as looking back to where I was then and what I was writing about compared to now, I've come a fair way. I'm not saying it solved all my problems but it helped me face things I was to scared to consider before, mainly my sexuality and all the layers that come with that. I basically have a year's worth of posts recording how I came to terms with that, which is pretty cool.

Then in June I felt I was finally ready to share the majority of what was going on in my head with Lotti. Like I'm pretty sure it wasn't news to her as we do talk about everything, I just wanted to work things out for myself before going to someone else, plus she had her own stuff going on iirc. She's my best friend and she knows me better than anyone so there was no way she wasn't going to be the first person I told about my bisexuality. Fast forward to the end of July / beginning of August and I felt I had to tell Cameron, so I did that which was terrifying but I did it :') Then it was the rest of the "lottsey clique" to find out but by that point I was already getting lesbian jokes thrown my way so again, I don't think there were any surprises there laugh.gif ofc the first time I mentioned my sexuality on here was during the rate, it went largely unnoticed though but a big coming out spiel in the appropriate thread just didn't seem like something I wanted to do laugh.gif

Also, my best friends from uni decided they weren't coming back so it has been hard not seeing them nearly every day, one of them moved away for a new course so I've not been able to see them much at all since they left sad.gif it was good to go down to London with them in Feb tho, that was a lot of fun biggrin.gif

So things began to pick up after that, well at least I wasn't in such a mess and for the most part was ontop of things. I met Liam and Lotti in August too which was such a highlight. Then in November the L Squad meet occurred and honestly it was the best weekend of the year, I hadn't felt that happy in God knows how long wub.gif Then shortly after that I started hanging out with a guy from my course and long story short, he's my boyfriend now blush.gif So things got good towards the end, so unexpectedly!!! ohmy.gif I'm hoping this means I'm set up for a good 2017 angel.gif

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Dec 29 2016, 10:46 PM
Post #10
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Its been so shit, I cant even put it into words :')

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Dec 29 2016, 10:55 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

It's been a rather mixed bag of a year in general, but I feel like I have progressed more and am in a better position than I was at the end of last year so that's all good. I spent the first five months of the year pretty much directionless, I was failing interviews, wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life and was a bit stuck in a rut - the only notable thing I was doing was volunteering at a charity shop, I did actually make a friend there though so it wasn't all bad and it did give me reason to go back, the manual skills I learnt there I hadn't had any experience with before and it was a hell of a tough place to work, I'm glad to be out of there though! I did manage to get some work over the summer as well as exam invigilators which served me quite well for the year ahead.

The big event ofc. was getting into my PGCE in Post Compulsory Education at UCL, I had been trying to go for teaching careers in this sector but couldn't get my foot in the door without a qualification so this was really quite great news as I had limited experience. Suffice to say, the first term has not been easy - the placement I got wasn't ideal to what I wanted to teach (was going down the A Level Media route, but the college I'm at is a bit...lower level (to not use a non PC term) and I'm now even having to do English resits alongside that) and I'm constantly exhausted and I've had some very bad days, but also some moments of joy and I feel what I have already learnt and how I've progressed. The academic uni side has been great overall, I've met some great people and I've had some really good support in my college that has definitely helped me through (and ofc. learning how bad it can be will shape you well for when I finish ;o). I feel in a good place to go forward as long as I just get my head down and focus in the new year, it's something I do have a problem with and I'm hoping to make a change as it certainly feels there's more at stake than when I've said this before!

Other than that, it's been fairly quiet overall but not in a bad way. My family's still all generally together even with my grandad turning 90 so all's good, A highlight was my graduation ofc. and getting to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child stage play, it brought out my inner Potter loon that had been hiding for so long wub.gif been very good for films/TV shows in general, The Olympics were also a highlight, the Euros...not so much :') Last series of Bake off as well...:'(

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Dec 30 2016, 12:07 AM

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Dec 29 2016, 10:56 PM
Post #12
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

For me 2016 has been pretty up and down. I went to see Halsey, PVRIS and Sigala in concert which was fab, I was meant to see Foxes too but she kept cancelling so I was like meh. My best friend moved back down from Aberdeen but since all 3 of my besties work full time now, it is difficult to fit in times to meet. Uni has been okay, my course if boring me but now that I am in 3rd year I am determined to stay until the end and hopefully get a 2:1 (a first would be preferred ofc). I finally got to leave the job that made me miserable for nearly 2 years and was able to get a part-time job as a pizza chef in Pizza Express (which I have now finished my 13 weeks of training for and am a fully qualified pizzaiolo!!) 2016 has not been all singing all dancing for me though, I started off the year with sinusitis and had it for 6 months, Every day my sinuses were in agony and I could do nothing to help it. Further on into the year, I also struggled with muscle spasms which resulted in me having physiotherapy for 2 months. However, I was able to go for 14 and a half stone down to 10 and a half (now 11 cause of Christmas lmao) and drop 4 inches off my waste due to healthy eating and exercise! Obviously, body confidence is always going to be an issue, but to be able to wear 32-inch trousers is amazing. Maybe the worse thing that I am still dealing with privately is my anxiety. I remember posting in detail before about having panic attacks at night, they still happen and I feel stupid if I say anything about them...

Anyway, hopefully, 2017 SLAYS and you all continue to put up with me laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Dec 30 2016, 12:02 AM
Post #13
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Fairly good for me but I'm left a bit uncertain about where I'm going now.

I started very worried that I wouldn't get a good grade on my masters and was doing my utmost to try and ensure that wouldn't be the case - and it did work out after nearly an entire summer cooped up inside slaving away at a dissertation, I've come away with a merit and an MA title, which mentally gives me a good security net that I feel will keep me at least financially safe as long as I don't do anything stupid. That and having an amazing family who are supporting my next steps. The masters time itself was good as I was stable and in a good uni flat and had a decent network of friends. I haven't seen them since I left which may just be natural though, I'm now several miles away.

After hitting unemployment and a brief flirtation with the idea of going for the Civil Service and deciding that it wasn't what I wanted, I decided that I do, after dismissing the idea a couple of times before, want to work towards being a teacher and I've never really felt so driven towards any goal like this one. So currently I am working on a TEFL qualification that I can hopefully (this is why it's a little uncertain) spend a year or two abroad working and then come back and work on a PGCE, preferably for history secondary or A-level. It may be difficult and a long road towards getting what I want to do but I'm fairly sure I would be amazing at it and should be able to get my foot in the door. (just behind Chez yet again, my life seems to be in a constant state of being a year or so behind his)

The other major thing I did was start my blog. I've wanted to do that, have a good internet outlet, for an age so with university finally over I went for it and three months later I have been continually putting out one written post each day. I didn't need to put that much effort in, I wanted to, because while I work towards my goal, I also want to do SOMETHING to pursue my secondary/long-term dream of being a writer (without any real writing qualifications, I should take a course at some point but still), I know I'm going to have to do some jobs that may not be what I want to do and a creative outlet has been really helping while I've done temp work these last couple of months. It's mostly entertainment reviews - something I normally enjoy reading so it turns out I also enjoy making them - and things related to what I'm doing in free time but I've also started a project to write about states in history which is the sort of thing that should help my writer and teacher cause (despite the blog being very much a personal thing in aesthetic, that was important to me).

Personally I'm in a good place, I'm still quiet in unfamiliar situations but I don't feel the anxiety that I used to and I seem to have gotten even more 'chill' about everything including love life and friends. My 'problem' is just that I'm too happy alone.

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Dec 30 2016, 12:41 AM
Post #14
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

I love reading these 'year in review' posts from you guys! I know I've been awful at posting this year so I thought I'd throw my two cents in to let you lot know how I'm doing!

2016 started off fairly shit tbh - had a pretty awful NYE which resulted in a big rift between my school friends (I'm still good with everyone) and I was on the receiving end of a breakup in January too which is never great, and certainly when you weren't expecting it. But since that things have been fairly positive! I competed internationally with my synchro skating team for the first time as well as doing my first 'without real adults' trip away to Barcelona, and then Copenhagen later on this year which was brilliant for my confidence as well as my wanderlust - think I ended up going on the most holidays/trips away I've ever done this year!

A big part of my happy 2016 was my job - good old Legoland. I've made the best friendship group there of so many people around my age and I couldn't ask for anything better! In some ways it has filled the uni-shaped void in my life. Yes the job can be horrendous at times and some of the 'experiences' you have there cannot be put into words but I wouldn't change it for the world laugh.gif Socially I've never been better and I actually love spending time with other people now where's in the past I was prone to making excuses to get out of meetups etc.

Another big turning point of 2016 was my decision to ditch uni for good. Going into the year I had a deferred place at Reading and having that as backup made me lazy in looking for any alternatives. So I returned in September this year and over the course of the month I was there I decided university was not for me - a mixture of finding it difficult to motivate myself for higher level education as well as loneliness (due to my decision to study from home this time) and an absolutely crippling fear of 'WHAT DO I WANT FROM MY LIFE?!?!' but all of that's done and dusted now so I'm happy to leave that and there's no point going over the 'what ifs' now. Instead I've applied for an apprenticeship in Business Travel Consultancy (flash innit cool2.gif) which hopefully I'll be starting early next year, just need to hear back from there but everything has been very positive so far. It's not my dream job or anything that I've gone for but I think it's the a stepping stone in the right direction for me for now although I am worried my life is gonna become boring 9-5 office job when I've had such a fun, social job for the past year.

So yeah for now my 2017 seems a bit uncertain I think it's gonna be a transitional year for me but hoping it's going to be as fun as 2016! I'm the most confident I've ever been in who I am I just need to tell myself to stop worrying so much about things that don't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things

+Quote Post
M.
post Dec 30 2016, 12:58 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly, it's been a shit year like. Nah, but there have been great things as well. Went to see Sigur Rós and James Blake live this year, concerts are always awesome so yay. Also did some work experience for three weeks before Christmas which went quite well, but I don't think I'll be getting the actual job because I'm just not skilled enough yet with design. The job was for designing outdoor advertising, basically. I've always been pretty directionless in a way, it's just part of my personality, but every once in a while opportunities like that come round so I give them a go, whatever happens. I'm still doing a computer-related course as well, but am toying with the idea of possibly starting a new one next year in photography. Unless I'm working full-time by then.

On an emotional level, I've just had a really hard time this year. Been coming close to a few new real life ~relationships~ and friendships, it hasn't worked out quite yet but I'm done beating myself up about that shit. If it happens, it happens. When my cousin (also one of my best friends) came over to visit from abroad spontaneously this summer, it was one of the highlights of the year. My sister visiting was awesome as well. I still struggle with making new friends in real life (and some of them I don't get to see often at all) and spent a lot of this year thinking about that, but I do have some and I guess that's what counts.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Dec 30 2016, 01:16 AM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Izetta @ Dec 30 2016, 12:02 AM) *
After hitting unemployment and a brief flirtation with the idea of going for the Civil Service and deciding that it wasn't what I wanted, I decided that I do, after dismissing the idea a couple of times before, want to work towards being a teacher and I've never really felt so driven towards any goal like this one. So currently I am working on a TEFL qualification that I can hopefully (this is why it's a little uncertain) spend a year or two abroad working and then come back and work on a PGCE, preferably for history secondary or A-level. It may be difficult and a long road towards getting what I want to do but I'm fairly sure I would be amazing at it and should be able to get my foot in the door. (just behind Chez yet again, my life seems to be in a constant state of being a year or so behind his)

It does seem that way doesn't it? laugh.gif From what I've heard from family friends and colleagues on my course, TEFL is a really rewarding job with a good salary as well so stick with it and you could have a great career! I don't know how those courses are ran, do you get teaching practice while working towards the qualification? The best thing to do in any case if you're considering a PGCE is get as much part time work experience in school or education setting as possible as it will prepare you for what's to come! They're very hard to get at first ofc. but if you have a TEFL, then it should get easier in that area. You definitely seem like you have the subject knowledge, it's all about the projection and confidence of delivery which I'm still working on! (and I'd stick with higher level kids as they are much less to handle, not that I'd know with Secondary but I think they'd eat me alive).

Good luck though, I know how hard it is straight after finishing the Masters! Am always here to talk if you need to (preferably not during term time though kink.gif).

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Dec 30 2016, 01:17 AM

+Quote Post
Cassidy
post Dec 30 2016, 02:11 AM
Post #17
i'm massive
Member No.: 41

On a human level I think I've made lots of nice little progressions this year. I quit smoking (4 months tomorrow OMG), continued to become a more competent teacher, made lots of new friends, etc. Plus lots of side notes that are important to me but probably nobody else - I started to take my health into consideration a lot more, became a more efficient cook, learnt how to play the guitar and became a TIDIER AND MORE ORGANISED PERSON (always been a problem).

On the downside I continued to be my own worst enemy in terms of physical relationships and even as recently as Christmas Eve made what can only be best described as another destructive mistake that's just messed up everything completely. However I guess that's SOMETHING TO WORK ON NEXT YEAR now.

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Dec 30 2016, 02:30 AM
Post #18
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

I think mostly it's been a pretty good year, not the best EVER but I can't really complain at most aspects! Friendship-wise not a lot has changed, I'm still friends with basically the same people as I was at the start of the year (most of whom are online friends these days), and I'd probably say I'm closer to a load of these people if anything! Shout out to Brade too because our meet-up was one of my favourite days of 2016. Relationship still going great too so I'm happy on that front, a month today marks our 4 year anniversary mellow.gif!!

Job-wise is where it's been more rocky, I was given mixed messages at the school I worked at about whether they'd keep me on for another year (they basically put me on a "gap year TA" role that other ex-students have done in the past even though I didn't actually intend for that to happen). At first I was told they'd happily keep me on for longer but that seemed to be totally forgotten and they decided on my behalf that it was better for me to go smile.gif funny cause they're short staffed and they had someone right there who was good at the job already but ah well. Not found something else yet, I'd like to do something more long-term though so it's a matter of finding the right thing! Am pretty motivated to do this in the new year. On the bright side, I've developed a lot of skills from working. My communication is so much better, particularly with new people, I always struggled with that but I'm so much better having done it most days at work!

Generally I feel quite at ease with myself, I'm healthy and I've made some minor but important diet changes to ensure things stay that way too so all is good. I've also learnt that I have a better mental image of my body when I eat healthily, so even though I'm a healthy weight, I don't feel that way if I binge out on junk food so that's just motivation for me to eat better (and it's not as much of a chore as I expected tbh, got into a routine of eating more fruit and I'm enjoying it).

Been a great year for concerts, I always go to as many as I can and this year was no different! Particular faves this year were All Saints, Justin Bieber, Ellie Goulding and Troye Sivan, plus meeting Tom Odell, Joel Adams, Ryan Lawrie, Emily Middlemas and Levi & Drew from The Tide. All of these were great experiences, particularly the Ryan Lawrie gig, a fantastic day out where I made some great friends and basically everything was perfect lol - served by Nicole Scherzinger at the bar, selfies with Ryan & Emily, front row for the gig and a great chat with him after, plus he followed me on Twitter there and then, couldn't have gone any better heart.gif Music in general has been pretty solid, my top albums of the year are so so strong and I've made some great discoveries too, 2017 can probably top it too as a lot of my big faves haven't released an album this year!

Not sure what 2017's gonna bring yet but I'm gonna make sure it won't be long before I get a new job, and I want to toughen up too because I've learnt this year that it's way too easy for people to walk over me (at my old work)!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 30 2016, 03:35 AM
Post #19
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

It was definitely mixed.

Academia wise, all good! First year of uni wasn't that challenging tbf but I am glad of that, it allowed me to be really social and solidify the friendship group I have at uni. I finished the year with a first, and so far the first semester of second year is definitely harder but I have adapted to it and because I'm someone who enjoys being busy and occupied I am liking the challenge. Maybe not so much the current struggle of mountains of January coursework as well as two exams though drama.gif Of all the assessments and the exam I've done in 2016, there's only been one I felt pretty shit about, which was an interview and analysis we got next to no help on and I knew was going to go kinda badly, so I came to terms with that before I had the marking returned!

Socially, definitely mixed. At uni, I have a great group of friends, especially my two best friends who are two of my housemates, and we all got closer in 2016. I really appreciate them because I hate relying on just internet friends, as amazing as they are I like to have people physically there when I want to play video games, watch TV or go out, and people to talk with in person. There's some tension in the house at times, I think that's due to living in each other's pockets, 5 out of six of us do the same course so we go to lectures together, watch TV together, play games together, eat together, and there are some people in the house who, while I like them and we all moved in as friends, I get fed up of spending all that time with so sometimes it's a bit tense, for want of a better word. We never seem to argue and shout it out, it's always passive aggression. For example we barely speak to a girl we went to centreparcs with just a few months ago in summer because she was such a twat and is basically cutting us off because we told her she was being a bit unreasonable, which she was. I am dreading exam season when we're all super tetchy laugh.gif At home, I feel I am drifting from my group just because I have gone to uni. One of my friends from home goes to the same uni as me but goes back a lot, so she's involved still, but I tend to only go back for Christmas, Easter and Summer, unless say I've got a concert at home or something else planned. A social highlight of this year was meeting Lotti, Lindsey, Cameron and Lewis. Our day in Basingstoke with the former 3 was lovely, we all felt a bit awkward really and kept joking what if we hated each other and it was super awkward irl but we clicked instantly just like online, it flew by and was such a laugh! Then there was the L squad crashing my uni house, which was as messy as you can imagine - picture me and Lotti sitting on my iamspamspamamifloor belting out Million Reasons drinking wine from the bottle. Both of those were amazing times, and I want to meet all of you again and hopefully other Buzzjackers in 2017, especially Tim and Oliver to complete the squad until Sam is old enough to come get messT with us kink.gif

Personally, by that I mean mentally, there were some struggles laugh.gif As I just said, despite a good friendship group at uni who I do love that can't always keep me together inside. One problem, and I feel quite selfish to say this, is the fact my male and female best friends are together. That's not to say I don't wish them to be happy, I love seeing how happy she makes him and he makes her, but I feel lonely at times because he can be quite blind and focused on her if they're having a really good patch. There have been times I've really needed someone and he is the one I go to, and he's been with her or whatever and by the time he bothers I am in a worse mood and don't want to talk. But I can't really moan because he always understands if I have one of m moods, I've struggled with depression before and there honestly have been times I've felt it coming back and I've totally broken down once in front of him. I tend to close myself off from everyone if I feel like that, which sometimes is scarily frequent, but he always understands and makes excuses for me for the others or checks I'm ok and will sit with me to do something I enjoy to try and help me feel better. I've also had horrendous luck dating and in that general field in 2016, my self esteem is low af anyway but it only brings it down when things like this happen. I've had some really awful times but to know that being at uni I only have to step outside my door and there are 3 people I can trust and talk to, one in particular, whether I feel just a bit pissed off or totally low, helps more than I can say. I know that I've always had this site, and my amazing friends on it but sometimes you need a hug or to go for a walk and a pint, and verbalise how you feel to someone who can understand.

Finally, media wise I think it's been quite average laugh.gif I was saying the other day to I think a few of you on plug, doing my EOY for songs made me realise that there was a lot of good stuff but few true standouts. There seems to be so much I want to cram into my EOY top 40, but there are some songs in my top 20 for example that I do love, but they don't feel like they should be in my top 20 of the year necessarily. For games, there was of course Sun & Moon, I only got my PS4 in May so I was catching up with the Uncharted trilogy, the new Ratchet & Clank, Tomb Raider and The Last Of Us mainly, can't wait to play Uncharted 4 as given the hype and the rest of the trilogy I can imagine it will dethrone Pokemon from the #1 game of 2016 tongue.gif TV was alright, I mainly watch soaps and reality and apart from Emmerdale in the former neither of those two genres have had a stellar year really (also shout out to Saara Aalto <3). Orange Is The New Black is a notable highlight but we won't talk about the tragedy of 4x12.

(oops that was WAY longer than I wanted thanks to the self pity)

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 30 2016, 09:16 AM
Post #20
Just another burden on the welfare state
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I think this year has been one of the best years of my life. I got my GCSEs with 4 A*s and no grades lower than a B, which was good because I really had to revise hard for them. I'm into 6th form college now and liking it a lot more than I liked school.

I'm also becoming more confident and independent as a human being (although I still don't have a job).

I had a good summer holiday, we walked around Anglesey this year for charity as a family, which was great.

(I've also learnt that I cant write/talk essays as I just get straight to the point laugh.gif )

This post has been edited by WiseManFromLeeds: Dec 30 2016, 09:17 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 02:04 PM