BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Musical Snobbery
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Mattias
post Dec 30 2016, 01:51 AM
Post #1
//
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I'm finding this interesting right now. What is your understanding of a "music snob"? Think you've ever come across one? Are you ever guilty yourself, perhaps unintentionally? I have in the past been slightly guilty of dismissing certain types of music, but I try not to do that anymore, and those types have now become part of my "musical evolution" biggrin.gif

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsᴇʏ
post Dec 30 2016, 01:55 AM
Post #2
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Idk hipsters of 2k12 come to mind laugh.gif "oh I liked that band when they were still in the womb" kind of thing

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Dec 30 2016, 02:07 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I've never understood how someone could claim to be such a fan of music yet hate so many music genres. Does it matter if a song doesn't have deep meaning? Does it matter if a singer didn't write their own song? Does it matter if a singer doesn't play their own instrument? Does every song need to be unique in every single way to hold any value?

Music is a wonderful thing in life and it shouldn't be controlled or dismissed and people certainly should not feel ashamed of liking certain music.

+Quote Post
Mattias
post Dec 30 2016, 02:11 AM
Post #4
//
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I also think it's really interesting when people have a certain genre that they're loyal to and it becomes part of their identity. I think there are subtle correlations between music taste and personality. It only really becomes a problem when the person is not open to a lot of other things that don't fit that genre. Which I don't think is actually that common, people are more open that ya'd think

+Quote Post
Cucumbruella
post Dec 30 2016, 02:13 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

i think it's fine to say music is trash etc. or music is good if that's your opinion but people who go 'this is REAL music and it's so much better than...' or 'i'm so much more invested in this band' is totally a display of ego

i don't think it's bad to dismiss music either, you may be wrong by doing so and eventually like something u dismiss but there's so much music in the world that it makes sense to stick to what we know or something similar which will more likely be to our tastes than something that isn't - we don't all have time to listen to absolutely everything! as long as you're not dismissing something in a sneery / elitist way

i know personally i'm open to anything being good LOL

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 30 2016, 02:36 AM
Post #6
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I just did a sociology essay on music, identity and culture and actually touched on this, interesting topic! One of the readings such out to me as music snobbery, the academic in question basically dismissed all popular music as being the same old elements, he compared it to cars on the assembly line all coming out the same laugh.gif He also made a distinction between "popular" music and "serious music", with the latter being "art" and the former being basically worthless and a mindless commodity. Whilst there are elements that dominate radio and are present in tonnes of songs, I don't see how that makes a song so much less worthy of being called music and liable to be written off and dismissed. Like Lew said there is saying that you don't like something, and there's diminishing it to mean nothing just because you don't like it.

I don't get it either personally though... I mean there are some artists or genres that I don't like so I don't listen to them. That doesn't make them less worthy of praise from others, if they enjoy it so be it. Even with random cheesy stuff or manufactured boybands who sing the same ballads all the time, there will be somebody in the world who will like them, and each to their own. I don't understand people who are embarrassed of their music taste either, I used to be though tbf because there was always that stigma of being called "gay" for liking Lady Gaga instead of Eminem. You listen to what you want, it's not like anyone else has to listen to it. I like different tones and words coming out of someone's mouth, different notes being sung and different instruments in the production to you, so what? laugh.gif

Also the "real fan" squad are a pain imo. I've noticed it in Youtube comments with twenty one pilots, people are not allowed to have liked them from Stressed Out or Heathens and stan them, you have to have been given the first pressed copy of their self titled debut personally by Tyler drama.gif

+Quote Post
JosephStyles🐶
post Dec 30 2016, 02:41 AM
Post #7
long hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

Yeah there's a big difference between having a negative opinion of a song and showing snobbery, as Leww pointed out. "Real music" is one of the most infuriating expressions I've seen on the internet, it just has a STENCH of superiority about it simply because their favourite band writes all their songs. To me, that kinda thing really doesn't matter, it's all about taking each song as it comes and enjoying it for what it is!

I've definitely had my moments over the years of music snobbery but I've become more open-minded over the years and it's led to me delving into the discographies of many great artists that I had initially dismissed, such as Kylie, P!nk and J-Lo. Heck, I was even pretty snobby about Justin Bieber at first, I don't think I even had a reason but I was determined to hate him. I warmed up to him before long though and I think that led to me becoming more open-minded overall, no point judging something you've not given a proper go in music, because you never know what you might be missing.

I know what music I generally do and don't like but I'm always open to surprises in all areas. I love surprises in music, songs that hit you out of nowhere, it's the best part of being a music fan, and being a snob would pretty much eliminate any chances of these surprises. I've mentioned it in the Dance forum before but I never liked Cheat Codes' Sex and I still don't now, it's just a bit grating vocally and the production is fairly boring. However, this didn't put me off listening to the follow-up Let Me Hold You, and it's one of my songs of the year, a total surprise and if I were snobby about it, I'd have ignored it because I didn't like Sex, or because it's pretty much a cover, and I'd be missing out on a great song. (plus I dug even deeper and ended up sending the vocalist's 2 year-old song to BJSC lol, so it goes to show!!)

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Dec 30 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #8
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

I always thought the term referred to Classic Music vs Popular Music. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
T Boy in Weeyals
post Dec 30 2016, 10:45 AM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not a fan of music snobbery. I hate it when someone says 'that's just MOR bland rubbish' to describe a pretty good song/artist. I hate it when people call songs boring because they have no dance beat. I hate it when anyone uses the term generic to describe anything.

I also don't like it when people dictate to others what's good and what isn't. My sister is the worst for this. She keeps telling me that Lemonade is the best album ever and so ground breaking. I keep telling her I can't get into Beyoncé these days because I tend to not remember any of her newer songs. Same with Drake. But she tries to make me feel as if I know nothing of music because I don't like what's popular.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Dec 30 2016, 11:06 AM
Post #10
too-too-roo
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

I definitely have moments. Why? I want to quantify why I like songs and more often than not the fact that some song is a boring rehash of another, or it is just pointless or embarassing lyrically, or it's steeped in commercial feeling and doesn't feel like it was made by an artist who loves what they've created, all that can put me off a song. It also feels somehow so much more rewarding to find music that is less popular that you like, as it makes you feel like you've done some work to find it. And like Leww said, there is so much stuff out there that you might want to just dismiss some music so you don't have to deal with it if it probably won't be your thing. Especially if it's popular and you feel the need to have an opinion on it.

My music taste is so open to criticism though that I can't claim to be fully down that sort of route. I have seen people snob on the stuff I hold dear and if they want to, fine for them (but they're missing out). I do like it when I unexpectedly like a pop song I wasn't expecting to like these days anyway.

+Quote Post
Tinasha
post Dec 30 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

When I worked with NME, one of the first things they taught me was not to be closed minded with pop and that 'there's no bad genres, just bad songs'. It's all a bit ironic given NME's history with snobbery but the sentiment still stands, NME were one of the unexpected outlets who championed Girls Aloud after all. I went through a phase in my late teens where I thought I was too cool for pop and only liked 'real' music, which meant rock and indie. But I later realised that everything is just as 'manufactured' as each other, regardless of genre, they just have different sounds. And the same amount of difficult work would go into creating a catchy, well produced song by Katy Perry as it would for a 'real' song by Ed Sheehan.

I've become more geared towards pop and electro indie than rock-indie in my later years, though I still I love modern indie like Everything Everything, The xx, Bon Iver and Sufjan Stevens.

The acts I'm more likely to be snobby about these days are the bland singer-songwriter types like James Bay, Sam Smith or James Arthur as well as bands that really do feel expired that I used to love like The Used, New Found Glory and Taking Back Sunday, even if there is some slight nostalgia there.

+Quote Post
danG
post Dec 30 2016, 11:24 AM
Post #12
putting the DAN in dance music
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

well yes I generally dismiss certain types of music (for me it's mostly boybands, Disneyfied pop, rock and country), just about everyone does. I'm probably an example of what T Boy hates oops, though I am open to some music without dance beats. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Taylor Jago
post Dec 30 2016, 03:19 PM
Post #13
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

I usually dislike it when people call music which is a bit calmer or less produced "middle of the road" or "bland", sure there are a few examples where I would agree with those terms (like "Wasn't Expecting That") but most of the time they are perfectly interesting songs. Maybe it's because I grew up with Snow Patrol, Travis, Stereophonics and their ilk, but a song doesn't need to be pop or dance to be interesting.

There are genres which I don't really like, but usually I still try to be open minded about them, to give a chance to some songs. Case in point: I don't like rap music much, but there are rap songs which I love (such as "The Hills", "Hold On, We're Going Home", "Champion", "Read All About It", "Stan", etc.). I'm also usually not very into French music, but there are exceptions such as Stromae or Christine & The Queens.

+Quote Post
♀mdh♀
post Dec 30 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #14
baby, there's nothing holdin' me back
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

It tends to annoy me a lot, especially when people of my parents age say that current music is 'awful compared to the music of their generation' and 'not real music', like in what world does someones personal preference equal that preference being superior to everything else? I personally love current music and the trends of modern pop and certainly do prefer it to tracks pre-2000, but I don't go around saying my favourite music is better than all other music :,)

Oh, and it annoys me when people dismiss others being a 'fan' of an artist/band just because they became a fan after they had a hit/got popular. A fan is a fan, regarsdless of when they became one.

+Quote Post
IrnQween
post Dec 30 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #15
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

I think having almost always had ''poor'' taste (I say that because people usually laugh at or deride my musical tastes) I've always tried my hardest not to be a music snob. I might hate a lot of music and never want to hear it, but that doesn't mean it's without MERIT. Any music which brings joy or elicits an emotional response in an individual must surely have some merit, even if I can't understand it.

I think being a Eurovision fan and an ABBA fan and liking what usually amounts to generic europop most of the time it's slightly more difficult to be a music snob ANYWAY, but really just listen to what you want, enjoy what you want and let others do the same.

+Quote Post
IrnQween
post Dec 30 2016, 06:40 PM
Post #16
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

QUOTE(CHRISTIANmas @ Dec 30 2016, 06:25 PM) *
Oh, and it annoys me when people dismiss others being a 'fan' of an artist/band just because they became a fan after they had a hit/got popular. A fan is a fan, regarsdless of when they became one.

I used to get this so much when I was actively on Madonna forums, having become a fan in 2005 with Confessions/Hung Up. It was like that having made me a fan was somehow less important than becoming a fan thanks to Ray Of Light or Like A Prayer. It's so, so stupid to do it though and only makes you look like a fool.

+Quote Post
Jacob.
post Dec 30 2016, 11:44 PM
Post #17
Jacob Alan
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

There are some types of music I absolutely can't stand, mostly music with vapid uninspired lyrics full of cliches, sub par productions merely trying to mimic other artists that do it much better (basically 90% of Sports Direct's playlist x) and yes, critically speaking I think you can say certainly that some music is better than other music. I'm also not very forgiving of music that's attempting to appeal to such a wide audience it falls flat and ends up insipid and mediocre, sadly this kind of 'safe' music does quite well commercially far too often. That said however, that's rarely (if ever) applicable to an entire genre and I'd say that I usually find something I like within pretty much every genre, sure with some genres I like typically more than others and as a result I'm more forgiving of some weaknesses in songwriting or production but even then inevitably they won't end up in my favourites or anything. Of course it's each to their own when it really comes down to it and people should feel free to enjoy what they like.

It's already been mentioned about snobs wanting everyone to be writing their own songs etc so I'll briefly express some of my thoughts on that, I personally think it's nice when the artist(s) presenting original music as their own work has had at least some input in the songwriting process, making the song more personalised and more 'them'- they'd probably want to anyway (presumably being the creative type) even if that ended up just being a little bit of improvisation in the studio that made the final cut or whatever. That's not to say songwriters shouldn't be able to write for other people, on the contrary, some great songwriters aren't nearly as strong when it comes to performance or someone might write something far more suited for someone else- but to me the musicians and the singer especially should if nothing else be able to identify with the song and have a full understanding of what it's about, it makes for a much more honest performance, otherwise they just become session musicians doing a straight cover of someone else's song. When people complain about "teams of songwriters" though, I don't get it, would it not be so much fun bouncing ideas off like minded people in order to create a great song? When certain songwriters, teams and even producers get too big it leads to a lack of variety in big hits (mentioning no names) and that's when it's not so great/ becomes all about money and if it becomes too formulaic maybe it can become a bit sterile/samey but if a rough formula works why not use it if you're still switching things up enough each time? Still, this is all preference, sometimes people don't care about these kinds of things or view them differently and that's fair. If it sounds good that's the main thing but things like the amount of creative control an artist has can drastically affect the sound, so that's why I care.
QUOTE(CHRISTIANmas @ Dec 30 2016, 06:25 PM) *
It tends to annoy me a lot, especially when people of my parents age say that current music is 'awful compared to the music of their generation' and 'not real music', like in what world does someones personal preference equal that preference being superior to everything else? I personally love current music and the trends of modern pop and certainly do prefer it to tracks pre-2000, but I don't go around saying my favourite music is better than all other music :,)

That's because frankly a lot of what they hear probably is awful and/or overplayed, not all of it of course but have you seen the static charts recently? You've got to dig a little deeper to get to music suited to your taste these days (like we do with BJSC for example by picking and choosing our favourites from a wide selection) and don't forget their taste was formed back in the 60s/70s/80s and will reflect music from those eras just as yours reflects 00s but at the same time it's never been easier to discover it so they have no excuse. Each generation has music that will stand the test of time and music that won't. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Status Quo, The Who, Michael Jackson and Queen are just some of the legendary artists we remember from the 60s-80s but there's also a plethora of all but forgotten music from those eras and they usually fall into two categories: #1 The music never got big enough so is forgotten regardless of quality, it could be terrible or could a golden discovery one day or #2 it sold well for a time but was awful, no one listens to it any more and everyone pretends it doesn't exist. We only remember the best of each era and now is no different, I guarantee it won't be long before we get people looking at the 90s and 00s in the same way (already happening with the 90s tbf).

There's a lot of amazing stuff pre 2000 mdh that you'd probably like so I'd definitely encourage searching around for music that you think could be suited to your taste, maybe start with influences from your favourite artists and see if you can hear any kind of connection (ignore 'golden oldies' on radio and things like that tho, they're not golden at all and that's all too often a perfect example what I mean when I talk about stuff we're all trying to forget x).

Absolutely resonate with your second point though, if you like something, you like something, doesn't matter how big it is and (unless they're joking ofc) people looking for one upmanship just because they've known it longer aren't worth your time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2017 - 05:51 PM