BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter's **first chart** of 2017, love me, love me, you wanna leave? // + links + write-up
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
360Jupiter
post Jan 6 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

2017 kicks off with Fickle Friends holding the top spot for a second consecutive week. The euphoric Brooklyn shows no sign of slowing down its time at #1. Gabrielle Aplin, just below, pushes Sia down to #3 as the two duke it out for second place. It’s both artists’ third consecutive week in the top 5. Just below them, MUNA’s Winterbreak is up 1 to a new peak of #4, and at #5 it’s a strong new entry for Louis Tomlinson, finally reaching enough plays to debut, after lurking further down the top 100 since its release earlier in December.

Tomlinson isn’t the only new entry in the top 10 this week, as Cardiknox blast straight in at #10 with Into The Night. It’s the Seattle band’s second chart entry overall and first this year – although that’s the case for everyone this week. Other new entries this week come from Mako with Natalola, Twenty One Pilots, Marian Hill with Lauren Jauregui of Fifth Harmony, Tove Lo, Vukovi, Stellar Young, ABC, KLYMVX and Lindsey Stirling. There’s also a few re-entries. More on those, and chart moves in the next post; for now, here’s the whole chart list as it stands, counting up to this week starting up 2017:

01 Fickle Friends - Brooklyn [36-3-1-1]
02 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You [37-4-3-2]
03 Sia - Never Give Up [40-5-2-3]
04 MUNA - Winterbreak [10-5-4]
05 Louis Tomlinson x Steve Aoki - Just Hold On [N]
06 Burak Yeter ft. Danelle Sandoval - Tuesday [32-11-10-6]
07 MishCatt x Skolhaus - Another Dimension [28-8-6-7]
08 Annabel Jones - Asking for a Friend [34-7-7-7-8]
09 Chad Valley + Glasser - Fall 4 U [12-9]
10 Cardiknox - Into the Night [N]
11 Young Summer - Heart in Slo Mo [16-9-4-11]
12 Robin Schulz ft. Princess Chelsea - World Turns Grey [31-16-12]
13 Liz Loughrey - Rise Up [36-13]
14 Sinah - Eyes Watery [23-14]
15 Rae + Christian ft. Gita Langley - Still Here [27-14-15]
16 Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know [34-29-16]
17 Carmody - For Desire [20-6-8-17]
18 Corrs - I Do What I Like [24-21-18]
19 Work Drugs - Talking in Defense [28-19]
20 Mako ft. Rat City + Natalola - Run for Your Life [N]
21 Vaults - Bloodflow [27-15-18-21]
22 Joan as Police Woman - Overloaded [21-22-16-17-21-25-34-22]
23 AK ft. Veela - Parallel Worlds [37-23]
24 Twenty One Pilots - Ride [N]
25 Marian Hill x Lauren Jauregui - Back to Me [N]
26 Becky Hill ft. Little Simz - Back to My Love [40-19-26]
27 Molly Kate Kestner - Good Die Young [40-27]
28 Little Mix - No More Sad Songs [14-28-22-28]
29 ABC - Kiss Me Goodbye [N]
30 Lady Gaga - Diamond Heart [36-36-13-14-24-30]
31 Rae Sremmurd - Black Beatles [37-35-X2-20-31]
32 Goodluck - Find Me in the Forest [34-14-8-7-5-37-X1-32]
33 Stellar Young - Double Lives [N]
34 Vukovi - La Di Da [N]
35 The XX - On Hold [29-7-1-1-1-9-35]
36 Tove Lo - What I Want for the Night (Bitches) [N]
37 Lindsey Stirling ft. Carah Faye - Where Do We Go [N]
38 KLYMVX ft. Emily Zeck - After Midnight [N]
39 Warpaint - New Song [20-5-15-36-X1-24-35-31-X10-39]
40 Inna - Say It With Your Body [21-13-3-3-6-11-X3-40]

#1s this year:
Fickle Friends - Brooklyn (~)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Jan 6 2017, 10:47 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
360Jupiter
post Jan 6 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Girl Blue's Fire Under Water finally drops out after an incredible eleven-week run, leaving Joan as Police Woman's Overloaded as this week's longest-runner in terms of consecutive weeks (9). Despite her longevity, Joan's only broken into the top 20 twice during that run, and has hit #21 and #22 on two separate occasions. Re-entries New Song, Say It With Your Body and Find Me in the Forest add a week each to their tally, bringing them to 8, 6 and 7 charting weeks respectively.

Long-running former #1 On Hold tumbles from #9 down to #35 this week, nearly falling out of the top 40 altogether. This is partly due to how I compose my charts and listen to music - songs will either have a strong, powerful impact, or be slow burners and stick around for weeks and weeks. There's no other such drastic drops this week, but in terms of interesting moves, Little Mix's No More Sad Songs drops to #28 for a second non-consecutive week. Annabel Jones bucks the trend of a fourth consecutive week at #7, instead dropping one place to #8. Asking For A Friend is her second-highest peaker on the chart.

And now onto our new entries for this week, the first of January 2017:

Kicking us off it's the song that gives this week's subtitle, La Di Da, by Scottish band Vukovi. Fans of Paramore, Biffy Clyro or the Yeah Yeah Yeahs might like this one. This was recently picked up by Radio 1 as one of their chosen few rock/alternative acts that will still get some bit of a push in today's tropical house/pop music landscape. Sneaks in at #34 debut.

Highest new entry this week goes to Louis Tomlinson and Steve Aoki. An underwhelming performance at X Factor to debut the song stalled its potential to grow on me at first. It's a decent successor to summer hits Cold Water and the Guetta/Zara track though - and to be fair, doesn't try to be anything more.

One I picked up when going back over one-hit wonder indie acts from the past year. Cardiknox's What Do I Do Now narrowly missed making it into my top 100 of the year (which, due to circumstances, I didn't get to post - and now seems a bit late!), and I thought that would be the last I'd hear of them. I was pleasantly surprised to see there's an album. Into The Night was my pick from that, it's pretty awesome, very 80s inspired, synthy. You could see it soundtracking a montage. #10

One that didn't strike me at all on first release, but has since grown on me. I'm not generally a fan of the band - just not my style - but this is a guilty pleasure. This week's #24.

Camila's not the only Harmonette striking out on her own. Lauren Jauregui teams up with Marian Hill (who I'm a pretty committed fan of) on this glitchy, understated little bop. It's Lauren's first solo charter for me, naturally, and Marian Hill's tenth or so. One of the first duets between two female singers - with no rap - I've heard in quite a while actually. #25 debut

This one sounds like it could be an official chart success. I'm guessing the band name might be meant to be read as 'climax'? Too many years deciphering txt spk. Anyway, this reminds me a bit of Capsize, and a bit of AlunaGeorge's I'm In Control from last year. A bit like See You Again, too. This week, entering at #38.

This got picked on the strength of Natalola - never heard of the other two. Natalola had one minor hit on my charts last year, I think probably due to Spotify's selecting algorithm, as I'd certainly never heard of her before. Anyway, this is typical slightly tropical-inspired dance pop. Maybe a bit like Perfect Strangers, or the Jonas Blue track with Raye. It's pleasant, and debuts at #20.

The 80s band randomly charted a song last year, from a comeback album apparently no-one saw coming - to be fair, a sequel to a 30-year old album was a bit left-field. It's delightfully retro with modern production values, which to an 80s music fan like me is perfect. Kiss Me Goodbye is my second pick from the album, following last year's Viva Love - a top five hit. This debuts more modestly at #29.

Random indie band #297 or so. Anyone who's read any of my charts knows these crop up pretty regularly. This lot have an astoundingly low number of plays on Spotify and Youtube, so I'm happy to share and support them this way, as I think they're pretty great. Think I might've come across them on one of those chain-searches where you just go through the 'similar artists' tab... Anyway. This week's #33.

Last pick this week is from Lindsey Stirling. I think she had a track a while back with Otto Knows, which I listened to a bit at the time - but I don't feel it charted for me. As such this is Lindsey's chart debut, as well as her 2017 debut. Some of you might know her as the dancing violinist. She makes EDM with a violin. Yes, really. This one is pretty solid and has a vocalist, Carah Faye, to back up the instrumentals, which I'm rarely so much of a fan of.

I'm also dropping in Little Mix as a bonus. It's not a new entry, but I think I may've left it out the week it entered...also, I think this track deserves to be appreciated as much as Touch or Oops. (Actually, maybe more than Oops, but only because I find Charlie Puth grating and unneccessary tongue.gif) Anyway, I'm really impressed with the girls' evolution and, although I don't know them, kind of proud of them for shaking off the shackles of the 'talent show' shadow. Girl power!

That's the lot for this week. Tove Lo's track didn't get a link, but it's there in the playlist - Spotify exclusive, unfortunately. Well worth checking out though. Until next week, that's me! Happy new year, folks! Do feel free to comment or chat smile.gif

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Jan 6 2017, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post
M4NG0
post Jan 6 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 151

Hey Jupiter!

Great to see Sia's 'Never Give Up' doing so well on your chart - I love almost all of her stuff but this is easily one of the best things she's ever done! Just a shame it wasn't given a proper single push.

Other highlights include Gabrielle Aplin, 'Miss You' is a nice song, and also Gaga's 'Diamond Heart' which was one of the standout tracks when I listened to the album.

Happy new year to you smile.gif

+Quote Post
JosephStyles🐶
post Jan 7 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #4
long hair don't care
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 13,530

Hiya Jupiter biggrin.gif

02 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You [37-4-3-2] I really like this, I didn't think much of her second era overall so this is her best since the first album for me, it's a bit of a tropical bandwagon jump but it suits her really well!
03 Sia - Never Give Up [40-5-2-3] Yet to hear this! I've really enjoyed her This Is Acting era though so I need to check it out.
05 Louis Tomlinson x Steve Aoki - Just Hold On [N] Adore this, I think on its own it might have been just a generic dance track, but the tragic circumstances around Louis' mother really enhance the lyrics and give the song a new depth.
21 Vaults - Bloodflow [27-15-18-21] I've been contemplating checking their album out after One Day I'll Fly Away but I'm not sure how much I'm expecting to like it, I must admit!
24 Twenty One Pilots - Ride [N]
26 Becky Hill ft. Little Simz - Back to My Love [40-19-26]
28 Little Mix - No More Sad Songs [14-28-22-28] Their album is so strong and this is a surefire highlight for me!
30 Lady Gaga - Diamond Heart [36-36-13-14-24-30]
36 Tove Lo - What I Want for the Night (Bitches) [N]

Fantastic chart, although lots I don't know! Happy New Year biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2017 - 08:57 PM