BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gender neutral toilets
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
burbe
post Jan 10 2017, 10:53 PM
Post #1
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

Recently on campus at uni they've installed a couple of new gender neutral toilets that have kinda become the talk of the place! There was a really big campaign for them by some people, so I'm glad for them to have succeeded! It's quite interesting to hear the range of reactions to them though. I was speaking to my flatmate earlier and apparently she knows people who are really weirded out by it. I can kinda see why, but it's quite a step so I guess it's something that will take time. It's not like there isn't regular toilets as well elsewhere.

It seems the library ones may have even made Katie Hopkins' twitter timeline. I'm pretty sure that's ours that she posted, it looks identical. Obviously mocking the idea, as you'd expect.

@KTHopkins
Seat up. Or seat down? Or just piss all over it for equality?

Who'd have thought so much fuss could be caused over toilets laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jan 10 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #2
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

honestly, this should be a universal thing, even if it means having segregated bathrooms as well

+Quote Post
burbe
post Jan 10 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #3
Lusts for Life
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ʟɪɴᴅsᴇ @ Jan 10 2017, 10:57 PM) *
honestly, this should be a universal thing, even if it means having segregated bathrooms as well

It should be it certainly won't be! Could you imagine older people's reaction to this? I think it's a long way off ever being accepted as universal.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 10 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #4
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Like others I don't see the problem, the toilets at our HQ in Exeter are EXACTLY the same for men and women - and I only know because they reverse the way round they are on different floors and I walked in once without realising. Yes I got some weird looks on the way out but I'm used to that.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 10 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #5
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I came across gender neutral toilets before in a gay club I went to last year, I guess that's more a place where you'd expect to see them though, so it's cool that a University has been so progressive. I obviously have no issue with them, I can understand the 'shock' factor as they're not the norm, but I think it's gross for people like Katie Hopkins to be outright derogative about them. I hope to see them becoming more common eventually as they are accommodating for everyone no matter how you identify ~

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 10 2017, 11:27 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I genuinely don't see this as a problem. I mean, we're long past the days of it being wrong for men and women to be in the same space as each other, so why should be still abstain to being seperated from each other in 2017?

Plus, it's great that non-binary/agender and trans people can be more comfortable going to the toilet as a result of this, it's a total win win situation - but although we're making progress in eliminating discrimination / stereotyping, I can't see this catching on universally for at least a decade. I'd assume ONE DAY this will be the total norm everywhere (unless something goes seriously wrong in the world) and future generations will be surprised that male and female seperate toilets existed at one time (laugh.gif), but for now it's probably just going to be a rarity, which is a shame, but I'm glad that long overdue change is finally happening.

This post has been edited by mdh: Jan 10 2017, 11:27 PM

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jan 10 2017, 11:48 PM
Post #7
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Yeah, this is fine maybe in small places, but this should not happen in a pub or night club. The amount of creeps that lurk...

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jan 10 2017, 11:51 PM
Post #8
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cameron @ Jan 10 2017, 11:48 PM) *
Yeah, this is fine maybe in small places, but this should not happen in a pub or night club. The amount of creeps that lurk...

thats gonna happen regardless of what sign is on the door tho

+Quote Post
The Diplomat
post Jan 11 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #9
Life is too short for shade.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Ideally there should be four types of toilets, male,female, disabled and gender neutral. Gender neutral should be as well as, not instead of, male and female toilets as it is a fact that there are some people who do still feel uncomfortable about 'all gender' shared toilets. Therefore the use of all three (plus the disabled one for disabled people) would allow a choice to be made and would be good for everyone.

This post has been edited by 🚡🚟🍥-♨🎪🚘🎉🍥: Jan 11 2017, 12:10 AM

+Quote Post
The Diplomat
post Jan 11 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #10
Life is too short for shade.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Anyway, I think all toilets should be a hall of unconnected multiple small rooms with one toilet each and bathroom facilities like disabled toilets are, most of them suitable for use for all genders. That would be good for everyone.

This post has been edited by 🚡🚟🍥-♨🎪🚘🎉🍥: Jan 11 2017, 12:33 AM

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 11 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #11
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

My mother, for one, won't use a gender neutral toilet. It's a personal preference of hers and thats what I think it comes down to. It's fine to introduce gender neutral toilets but I think choice should also be made available for those who prefer it that way.

+Quote Post
Joe.
post Jan 11 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I don't see the issue at all. They're all cubicles, so it's not like people are getting any less privacy. I think it should be something that's rolled out everywhere, too.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 11 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #13
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

I honestly don't see the fuss

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jan 11 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #14
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

I really don't get the big deal. I think they should roll out gender neutral toilets nation wide and maybe have a single cubicle separate aswell for male/female much like how disabled toilets are separate.

+Quote Post
lotita
post Jan 11 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #15
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

LMFAO I honestly can't understand any problems people may have about this. Oh no, a MAN may see me wash my hands?!?!?! ohmy.gif In all seriousness this is a step forward and I hope more get rolled out. Ofc people won't like it at first but it'll just be a case of like it or lump it until sexist people get over themselves and it becomes the norm laugh.gif

What I truly hate is how baby changing rooms are usually ALWAYS in womans toilets, erm men can look after babies too sleep.gif

+Quote Post
danVember
post Jan 11 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #16
Danvīci
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I don't have a problem with gender neutral toilets, but I think there should be the option in large public areas for gender-separate ones as well particularly so that men can still use urinals (which are much quicker to use than cubicle toilets and hence reduce queuing time)

+Quote Post
lotita
post Jan 11 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #17
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

SHE WEES EXIST

(i promise i would never go that far)

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Jan 11 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #18
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

I don't use public toilets at all. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jan 11 2017, 12:14 PM
Post #19
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

This is obviously a good idea for those who need it but I don't think it should mean that we get rid of male & female toilets. You can't just remove that ~uncomfortableness~ from people, particularly, as Cameron said, in pubs/clubs/bars where I really don't think its a good idea to mix everyone together when there are already so many issues within the current situation. Also, the removal of urinals would definitely mean longer queue times, there's rarely a queue for mens toilets in the same way that there often is for women's toilets.

+Quote Post
burbe
post Jan 11 2017, 01:01 PM
Post #20
Lusts for Life
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JSG @ Jan 11 2017, 11:03 AM) *
I really don't get the big deal. I think they should roll out gender neutral toilets nation wide and maybe have a single cubicle separate aswell for male/female much like how disabled toilets are separate.

You'd surely get equal privacy with gender neutral and a separate single toilet apart from the washing hands part. I don't really see the point if you've gone completely gender neutral to then do that on top.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 07:11 AM