BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
well i came this far i might as well add a poll
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
M.
post Jan 11 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #1
Moana Lisa
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

could this be my last ever thread as a Lounge mod omfg lmfao

jump.gif

The Teen Vogue thread inspired me first of all to research some stuff and also to create this topic. The question itself is hella simple. If you had to make a choice between reading fiction or non-fiction, which would you choose and why? Same with movies/tv shows.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jan 11 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #2
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

I voted for Non-Fiction, purely because I love researching into real life events and reading people's own work. However, I love fiction as well - especially fantasy ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 11 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #3
Just another burden on the welfare state
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Non-fiction, because I only really read before I go to sleep and reading fiction just keeps me awake sad.gif

+Quote Post
M.
post Jan 11 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #4
Moana Lisa
   No Gallery Pics

I chose non-fiction for this because while I've always enjoyed reading fiction if I'm in the mood (unfortunately this doesn't happen often enough these days which is a shame, hoping to get back into it), these days I'm more likely to be looking up stuff online about a topic that interests me or reading something else that falls under 'non-fiction'.

I also really enjoy watching certain kinds of documentaries if they engage me in some way, usually something to do with human nature. Movie-wise I don't mind, whether it's based on a true story or not, it doesn't particularly influence my enjoyment of it.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 11 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #5
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I love both but non-fiction has the edge for me. I have always been fascinated by interesting true-life happenings! As seen by being drawn to areas such as journalism, sociology and psychology. I appreciate the creativity that is involved in fiction, but at the end of the day it makes it all the more engrossing to me if I'm reading something and know that this has actually happened.

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post Jan 11 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #6
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Movies & TV, it would definitely be fiction all the way. For books I'm more on the fence, most of the fiction that I read is stuff that gets adapted into movies. laugh.gif But I love a good autobiography, I'm reading Anna Kendrick at the moment.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 11 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #7
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Fiction. I love getting lost in a different world and I love a good story, something to take me out of the real world for a bit

+Quote Post
Flatcap
post Jan 11 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #8
Cats are out tonight..
Member No.: 27
   No Gallery Pics

For books, it is both. I love reading, got a long reading list across both fiction and non-fiction.

TV, it has to be non-fiction. I love documentaries and finding out about the history of different parts of the world. I also love quiz shows as they expand my knowledge especially areas where I don't know as much as I would like.

+Quote Post
The-BrightPlaces
post Jan 12 2017, 01:58 AM
Post #9
I wanna contribute to the chaos
Member No.: 23,513
   No Gallery Pics

book wise it's definitely fiction for me! there's just an infinite amount of ideas and creativity that can go into a work of fiction. I love that you will always get something different from each book too like the characters and the world that they are in, and like T Boy said, I love being able to get lost in that world that the author has created. When I'm reading I just completely zone out and it is a nice break from the real world because it's like I'm in that world with the characters. Movies and tv shows I would have to say fiction as well for the same reasons really, although I do love a good documentary about space (i'm such a sucker for astronomy wub.gif) or anything to do with sharks or psychology happy.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 12 2017, 02:34 AM
Post #10
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

For TV, both. I absolutely love the documentaries BBC3 often do on social issues and things that really happen, then there are silly things like The Chase or Come Dine With Me that are real people do real things. I also watch a lot of reality TV but we can probably class some of those are partially fiction nowadays kink.gif I do love a good soap though, there's something about being absorbed into the melodrama or OTT-ness in those, and then there are dramas, comedies etc. I like to watch, again perhaps because of the melodrama, exciting plots, or just something that's not that realistic. I need that balance, I wouldn't want to watch documentaries all the time but if I just absorbed melodrama I'd soon pine for Stacey Dooley's thoughts of a young mother in Ghana she stays with.

For books I think non-fiction edges it. I love autobiographies, but also as a psychology and sociology student at uni I have to read a lot and I'm always interested to read about abnormalities in people's mental health or development, the way in which people develop, reading about how things contribute to society, how different societies operate in different ways, anything like that related to my subjects. I do enjoy some fiction but it tends to be proven book series I have alreay read (I know that at one time I didn't know Harry Potter or Hunger Games, but still), or something that I am recommended, or they come from my thirst for knowledge of real people and their experiences. For example, I got sucked into The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath very quickly once because I was reading about her mental health struggles and depression, and that's a roman à clef about that. I'm quite fussy about fiction books though whereas if it's tied to psychology or sociology I will likely read it (of course there are some fiction pieces that fit that too actually).

+Quote Post
richie
post Jan 12 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #11
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

Fiction wins at the moment and has done for the past decade. During my 20s I read pretty much 100% non-fiction biographies, autobiographies and big books of music facts though, so definitely room on my shelf for both.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Jan 12 2017, 11:33 AM
Post #12
see you space cowboy
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Books, mostly fiction, with the exception of history books and informative books.
TV shows, always fiction every time - with the exception of documentaries on history/geography/science topics.

I love and almost need a good fictional story, I want to write one myself some day, the workings of how it all gets put together and the yarn the author is leading the audience along on is all so fascinating to me. Especially getting into pointless discussions and theories about it if I'm really into the story, if you ever see me discussing the possibilities of what'll happen next on something like Game Of Thrones it's an indication I'm hooked.

I love learning new stuff though so I can't completely discard non-fiction. And yes, I spent hours looking through Wikipedia sometimes so that's a good argument for non-fiction.

+Quote Post
burbe
post Jan 12 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #13
Lusts for Life
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

Definitely prefer Fiction for books. I quite like fiction based on true stories but out-and-out non-fiction isn't always that interesting to me. It depends really on what the book is about. TV wise, drama is my favourite genre, so again I'd say fiction. Although when there's a truth element in a dark drama it can make it even more chilling! I do enjoy non-fiction TV though. The BBC makes some fantastic thought provoking documentaries, it's just fiction has the edge for me.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jan 12 2017, 01:08 PM
Post #14
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Fiction all the way for me! Love to get immersed in something, whether that be through reading or watching something!

I'm not really a fan of non-fiction books and I particularly don't get autobiographies as I don't care about famous people's childhoods or family life! I do love watching a good documentary if its done well though and it covers new ground or showcases a different perspective on a topic.

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Jan 12 2017, 01:15 PM
Post #15
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

Fiction Edges ut for me I love reading stories I especially love drama or thrillers

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Jan 12 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #16
see you space cowboy
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Froyo @ Jan 12 2017, 01:08 PM) *
I'm not really a fan of non-fiction books and I particularly don't get autobiographies as I don't care about famous people's childhoods or family life! I do love watching a good documentary if its done well though and it covers new ground or showcases a different perspective on a topic.

Agreed in that autobiographies have always felt completely uninteresting, for the vast majority of people there's nothing really new to say.

'My childhood was spent dreaming about how I could get into the public eye and make people care about some skill I'm halfway mediocre at'

(occasionally biographies of skilled political figures can be interesting but otherwise, no)

+Quote Post
M.
post Jan 12 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #17
Moana Lisa
   No Gallery Pics

That reminds, I think pretty much the only autobiography I have read in full was 'Moon Walk' by Michael Jackson, should pick it up again once I finish the other two books I have on my list lol. Would be interesting to re-visit it because I read it years ago. I think it was more stories about the music than anything else.

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post Jan 12 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #18
alt er love
Member No.: 8,674

Autobiographies can be so funny though depending on who the author is, and some people do have interesting stories to tell, it's just like having a nice chat with a good friend (but completely one sided laugh.gif). They're pretty easy reads if I'm a big fan of the author and I feel like there's less 'risk' compared to buying fiction and possibly not enjoying it.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Jan 12 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #19
On This Day in P!nk History...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

Movies... either. I like to watch films based on true events, especially if its something I remember happening (like for example Sully)

TV... I LOVE documentaries, so I would say I prefer non-fiction in TV.

Books... Depends what it is, I love to read about true crime, especially murders & serial killers, but overall I'd say I prefer fiction in books, mostly horror/crime stories smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post Jan 12 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #20
Gunshot Glitter™
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

Fiction for books - I spend my life creating stories in my head.

Non-fiction for TV & films - love a real life event! Especially if it's tragic.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 07:55 AM