BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OPINIONS PLZ
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
mdh
post Jan 20 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

So we had to make a 'genre specific album cover/back' for our media coursework, with as many connotations of the genre we were going for as possible, like colour scheme, font, song names, featured artists. Bascially it just ties in to our grade for overall understanding of the modern music business and how labels promote and put across their artists.

I have to submit my cover by Wednesday, and I was wondering if I could get some opinions from you guys? Or moral support as I'm hesitant as to whether to just start again lolol. :,)

My artist is called 'KRODES', he's a DJ and makes tropical/dancehall style music. (we had to make an artist)

Any pointers or opinions on it? Too cluttered? Too empty? Hhhhh I don't have a clue rn

This post has been edited by mdh: Jan 20 2017, 06:42 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jan 20 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #2
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Group: Members
Member No.: 15,367

Have you referenced those images properly? Can't be having Spinnin' Records, Facebook or Twitter sueing you or the university.

This post has been edited by Oliver: Jan 20 2017, 06:23 PM

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jan 20 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #3
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I really like how you've used the palm trees in it! The only thing I'd suggest is maybe changing your purple to a red/orange to yellow so it's a gradient of warm colours, ie reflecting "tropical heat" laugh.gif

dafont.com is an amazing website for free, copyright free fonts also, there might be something on there that looks more like your chosen genre wink.gif

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 20 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Oliver @ Jan 20 2017, 06:23 PM) *
Have you referenced those images properly? Can't be having Spinnin' Records, Facebook or Twitter sueing you or the university.

Yeah, it's being handed in with a sheet of paper that has references all the sources and copyrighted logos. Luckily the piece isn't going to be used by myself other than for handing in, so as far as I'm aware I'll be okay.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 20 2017, 06:38 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ʟɪɴᴅsᴇ @ Jan 20 2017, 06:26 PM) *
I really like how you've used the palm trees in it! The only thing I'd suggest is maybe changing your purple to a red/orange to yellow so it's a gradient of warm colours, ie reflecting "tropical heat" laugh.gif

dafont.com is an amazing website for free, copyright free fonts also, there might be something on there that looks more like your chosen genre wink.gif

I'm probably going to adjust the colours! In my explanation of the piece I need to highlight why I used the colours I used - red would be a lot easier to explain aha.

The font is ? at the moment for me, I was looking for something Major Lazer style to show the dancehall influences and I settled on that jaunty style - but I'll definitely have a look for something a bit more fitting biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cherry.
post Jan 20 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #6
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

The only thing I'd suggest changing is the font, there's just SOMETHING which doesn't feel authentic for album artwork if that makes sense??

+Quote Post
Hiß
post Jan 20 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #7
Hiss Hiss Bish
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

All those songs would be so generic with those featuring artists laugh.gif

I like the font you used though.

+Quote Post
AllWeKnowOfSpadz
post Jan 20 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #8
Don't need you to tell me I'm so cynical
Member No.: 21,005

I love it! heart.gif

But I also love fun fonts that few also love. But yay that others also love it~

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Jan 20 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #9
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

I wouldn't include 'tracklist:' on the back, don't think you need that! Should be obvious enough anyway.
Definitely gives off tropical/dancehall vibes.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jan 20 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #10
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(mdh @ Jan 20 2017, 06:38 PM) *
I'm probably going to adjust the colours! In my explanation of the piece I need to highlight why I used the colours I used - red would be a lot easier to explain aha.

The font is ? at the moment for me, I was looking for something Major Lazer style to show the dancehall influences and I settled on that jaunty style - but I'll definitely have a look for something a bit more fitting biggrin.gif

sorry I worded that wrong, I just meant if you were considering changing it not that you should! You've justified as to why you used it so it probably works enough, I just didn't get that being someone who's not all too familiar with your genre laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 20 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for the opinions, guys biggrin.gif And @ Lindsey & Lotti yeah, although I can justify why I've used it it's still up in the air for me, there's something a bit TOO fun about it for me.

QUOTE(Snake Got Hissed @ Jan 20 2017, 06:57 PM) *
All those songs would be so generic with those featuring artists laugh.gif

It's intentionally really trendhopping haha ─ was a lot of fun thinking of saturated artists to use laugh.gif (made it a lot easier for me, it's so much simpler making a genre-specific cover when there're lots of genre conventions, some people I saw were making a country album, I mean how hard must that be to make in comparison with a simple dance album)

QUOTE(Cremey @ Jan 20 2017, 07:00 PM) *
I wouldn't include 'tracklist:' on the back, don't think you need that! Should be obvious enough anyway.

Yeah, I'm thinking of removing 'tracklist:', shifting the songs up a bit, and maybe making the font ever so slightly smaller so I can fit in a track 7?

+Quote Post
burbe
post Jan 20 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #12
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

I wish Light Me Up was real. It sounds like a banger!

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jan 20 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Looks good but I'd suggest sticking to one colour for the Spinnin logo

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 20 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #14
Help me. I can't do the thing you want
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

This looks cool

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Jan 20 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #15
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,835

Could there be one more space for the Jessie J/Sean Paul collab? kink.gif

+Quote Post
Cherry.
post Jan 20 2017, 09:21 PM
Post #16
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

also i like how you've put the social media signs bc modernity etc, but surely you'd need the appropiate handles to be shown alongside it?

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 20 2017, 09:51 PM
Post #17
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Looks cool mdh! The advice I was going to suggest upon having a look has already been said (removing 'tracklist' and slightly tweaking the colour scheme). I just remember the constant in depth analysis of Media Studies, so the more reasons behind your choices the better. Good effort on the whole tho! I hope it shall come with a booklet so I can find out how iconic the 'Light Me Up' lyrics would be tbh x

(Omg we had to do a similar thing in Media Studies in year 10 - me and the person I was with created a girlband called Triple Threat and their album was called 'Hat Trick' because there was three of them and one was wearing a hat lmaaaao. It was so awful, the titles were cliché as well like 'Hope' or 'Friends Forever' or something laugh.gif Just dreadful in every way but the design was quite kool)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2017 - 07:50 PM