BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do I stay or do I leave?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
cq(uavo)merqn
post Jan 24 2017, 08:17 PM
Post #1
brqr is a flop
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Ok so at the moment I'm doing my A-levels at sixth form and taking; Media Studies, Sociology and Business Studies. I was also doing DT at the start of the year but got dropped out of that subject because my coursework "wasn't up to scratch" apparently. blink.gif

I really do enjoy Business Studies and it's definitely my strongest subject out of the 3. However, I feel like Media Studies and Sociology are just 'filler' subjects and I'm only taking them in order to do the Business course. I have no plans whatsoever to take up a career in Media or Sociology and you can clearly see how unmotivated I am in those lessons just by looking at my recent mock results. I got an A in business but E's in Sociology and Media.

Now what I'm wondering is do I stay in sixth form until mid-2018 and just carry on with what I'm doing, or do I get a business-type apprenticeship? I kind of like the idea of earn while I learn but I really don't know much about it.

I feel like if I carried on with this then it could be a potential 2 years gone down the drain as I'm not planning on going to university as previous illnesses etc have made my attendance awful and I'd never get in.

I probably haven't explained the situation very well but I literally have no idea what to do right now and need to make the right decision asap. Do I stay in sixth form? wacko.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lordita
post Jan 24 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #2
feminist icon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,777

before deciding whether to leave sixth form i'd fully look into your apprenticeship options, speak to a career advisor at your school if you have one or start researching local companies!

+Quote Post
cq(uavo)merqn
post Jan 24 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #3
brqr is a flop
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(princess lotita @ Jan 24 2017, 08:20 PM) *
before deciding whether to leave sixth form i'd fully look into your apprenticeship options, speak to a career advisor at your school if you have one or start researching local companies!

Ok thanks I will do that! There's a career advisor here but she says stick with it at least until the end of this year... but I'm just unsure sad.gif

+Quote Post
lordita
post Jan 24 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #4
feminist icon

i think the problem could be is quite a lot of apprenticeship schemes start in september. legally you do have to be in some form of education so it may be difficult to change that mid way now, but start looking at options for next year right now! quite a few colleges also do more hands on courses, it may be worth looking at those other options

i know right now it seems like a long time, but you have plenty of time to get to the career path you want, bearing 6 more months of sixth form may be boring but you'll get there in the long run!

+Quote Post
mqh
post Jan 24 2017, 09:11 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I think the career advisors have to say something in favour of the school tbh, it's what they're employed to do. I'd personally go for the apprenticeship IF you can find one that works for you and will make you happy as a person, because if you don't feel as though you're getting anywhere in your current situation then an apprenticeship would definitely be an improvement on that biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Jan 24 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,585

Nothing wrong with changing your mind and doing something new in September. Local colleges do a lot of apprenticeships/Level 3 qualifications in business related subjects which if that appears to be your passion then go for it. A-Levels are great and all but they're not for everyone and you definitely shouldn't stick it out because others tell you to. Do what's right for you and what you enjoy and you'll find a lot more happiness.

Just make sure you research your options first and prepare for interviews in advance.

All the best smile.gif

+Quote Post
cq(uavo)merqn
post Jan 24 2017, 09:26 PM
Post #7
brqr is a flop
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks everyone! Maybe I should just keep on at it for the remaining 6 months and look out for decent apprenticeships in the mean time. smile.gif

+Quote Post
lordita
post Jan 24 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #8
feminist icon

i'd definitely take time into researching your apprenticeships, you don't want to rush into something for the sake of leaving sixth form to then end up hating it even more!

+Quote Post
Silas
post Jan 24 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #9
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Be very careful before you make your decision. That's my main advice here. Whatever you do, don't make this choice rashly. While you can go back and study A-Levels at college taking a break makes it more challenging to pick back up again (well I assume, seeing as you can do Higher's at college in Scotland and by college I don't mean sixth form because that's not college you massive country of weirdos)

Some apprenticeships might require A-levels so do your research carefully. What kind of business apprenticeship are you interested in? Business is a very wide and vague field laugh.gif

What I know is that the Big-4 accounting firms all offer School leaver programmes - however these require A-Levels. So if your interest is more accounting/financial then it may be worth sticking with the A-Levels - as much as you hate them Media and Sociology are 'necessary evil's' in order to achieve this. Be prepared to have to motivate yourself to finish. I know they might suck but if you need a result to get you on a good programme then that might be something to leverage as motivation.

If the idea of accounting ain't yo thing, don't worry I won't take it personally lol, then you should look into big companies directly. When I was considering my post-Uni options, with a shite degree, I did a lot of looking into companies in industries I was interested in. Jaguar Land Rover take on apprentices in Business, I think Renault UK do as well (your french any good?). Basically think about the kind of industry you'd love to work in and then start looking at the biggest companies in that industry. Every major firm will have a massive careers site that not only tells you about what it's like to work for the firm (it's mostly platitudes but it's important to read to understand how the company sees it's own corporate culture. Good source of info for answering interview questions on 'why do you want to work here' wink.gif ) but will also give you details on any graduate or apprenticeship schemes they run.

Before you make any decision to leave school, make sure you look at a number of schemes and keep a note of their entry requirements. Get a good cross-section of companies too if you're not sure where you want to work. That then gives you a whole mountain of information with which to make your decision.

+Quote Post
cq(uavo)merqn
post Jan 26 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #10
brqr is a flop
   No Gallery Pics

Forgot I even posted this thread laugh.gif

I spoke to my careers advisor again and she basically said what others have here. (Carefully consider it and don't rush it).
--------
Thanks Silas, I will definitely think through everything you said and hopefully make the right decision.

Thanks everyone smile.gif

+Quote Post
cq(uavo)merqn
post Jan 26 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #11
brqr is a flop
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Jan 24 2017, 08:17 PM) *
I got an A in business but E's in Sociology and Media.

Turns out I got another pupils set of results instead of mine! ohmy.gif
I actually got an A in business, B in Sociology and a D in Media.

This post has been edited by cqmerqn: Jan 26 2017, 01:37 PM

+Quote Post
Silas
post Jan 26 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #12
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

ABD is pretty good for two subject you aren't bothering with. If you can nudge sociology to a C you'll be in a seriously good place for post-sixth education/work options. Good luck with your decision!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2017 - 10:33 PM