BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> America: Now or Never, Thoughts from an American Mixer
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Untypical Mixer
post Feb 6 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
New Entry
User: 23,819
As you all know, the ladies are currently in the United States opening for Ariana Grande on tour. While they would never admit it, they've pretty much reached do or die time. If this tour doesn't work for them, it's probably not ever going to happen. Well, we are 2 shows in and here's where we stand: audience reaction has been crazy. People are actually starting to wake up and are loving them. This is very exciting for the ladies and the American fans who've been waiting for their country to get with the program. I never saw the stats, but I've heard from several people that Little Mix out-trended Ariana Grande on opening night of the tour. Who knows if this is actually true. It's hard not to get excited and say that's it's finally happening for them here, but those people are little blinded by how unexpected many of us were by the big audience reaction. There have only been two tour dates so far. As always, I'm not very confident that their team will keep from screwing this up for them. It's not enough to just impress the audience every night. They need to be capitalizing on every success. As happy as I am that audiences are loving them, that just won't be enough. If the tour fails to produce any sales boost, chart boost or solo tour demand then, honestly, the DWT tour did them no favors. It's also becoming clear that SOTME is not going to be the hit in America that it was in the U.K. It just can't seem to gain any traction. Touch is getting a lot of positive buzz and is honestly better suited to American pop radio than SOTME. My proposed plan: cut their losses with SOTME, send Touch to US radio ASAP, do more than radio promos, find talk-shows and events for them to perform at, have them do a few acapella and acoustic performances. I know it's alot, but they only have 2 1/2 months. They don't have time to waste. Ditch SOTME, use Touch and tour to create and maintain buzz. Do a rerelease of Glory Days as soon as the DWT ends. People are finally taking notice, but I always fear that their team is going screw them over yet again. Finally, I will be going to the DWT on Tuesday. I will come back and post about the show, specifically how Little Mix did and if they got the audience to take notice.

This post has been edited by Untypical Mixer: Feb 6 2017, 12:07 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Filature
post Feb 6 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #2
Group icon
New Entry
User: 23,782
They so should have a feat with Nicki or Ari on Touch, for radio to start playing them. Then it would be easy to capitalize on that and have success.

+Quote this post
Untypical Mixer
post Feb 6 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #3
Group icon
New Entry
I completely agree. Adding say, Nicki, could help the song reach different markets and and actually get them on to US radio and charts. Americans don't embrace pop music the way the U.K. does so if they want a hit they need to make sure it's not seen as just another pop song.

+Quote this post
Matt1989
post Feb 6 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,134
Interesting to get a perspective from an American Mixer. If I was their manager I'd book them onto as many chat shows as possible- Ellen and The Late Late Show would be Top of my list. Apparently they've approached James Corden about doing Carpool Karaoke and I'd do anything to make it happen as it would allow the US public to see their personalities as well as their music, while Ellen is just hilarious.

I'd be inclined to agree about the radio thing. It's clear to see that SOTME isn't going to happen and if there is already a positive reception to Touch then I'd send it straight away. I'm delighted to see how great the crowds have been for the girls for the first couple of shows and I have every faith in both the girls and the US crowds that this will continue. However, I can't help but have absolutely zero faith in Columbia's ability to do anything decent for LM

+Quote this post
Untypical Mixer
post Feb 7 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #5
Group icon
New Entry
Bump

This post has been edited by Untypical Mixer: Mar 1 2017, 06:34 AM

+Quote this post
Untypical Mixer
post Mar 1 2017, 07:09 AM
Post #6
Group icon
New Entry
http://headlineplanet.com/home/2016/12/29/...s-success-2017/

This article gets it just right. It should have been required reading for their team. I really believe this approach would work aside from having already dropped Shout Out To My Ex as a single here yet it keeps showing little random signs of life on the iTunes chart. I feel more confused than ever honestly. Are we finally getting an effort from the team? Do they finally have a shot at success here? Biggest questions: the fate of Touch and the payoff from the Ariana Grande tour. There is still a long way to go and with a month of the tour down now, time is moving fast. It will be time to go back to the UK before we know it and with their own big tour planned, unless they plan to go back and forth a lot (which I really don't want to see - will just burn them out), they may not be able to get back to the US for quite a while. Besides some actual success, US fans most want their own headlining tour. IF the cards are played right, they are in an interesting position with material to push in the US. They will hopefully, logically, just push Glory Days, especially if Touch hits. They have nearly a year while the ladies are touring Europe/UK. If they can get things going in that time, they could wrap Europe/The UK, take a quick break, then do a US leg of the Glory Days tour. It's not out of the question. I bring up what material to push because another fan reminded me that Get Weird was DOA in the US. They could conceivably reissue GW or GD with the songs from each that are mostly likely to appeal to American audiences. I'm not a fan of changing up songs to cater to a new audience (Touch remix). If the US doesn't like their stuff as is, then too bad. They don't need to change a thing and there are several songs on GW and a few on GD that are more in line with the current US pop sound. I am almost certain they won't do that or even think to do that. If not, I say just push GD and get the US caught up with the rest of the world.

This post has been edited by Untypical Mixer: Mar 1 2017, 07:26 AM

+Quote this post
Matt1989
post Mar 1 2017, 11:08 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 23,134
I'd definitely just push Glory Days. I'm glad you mentioned about not just changing up what they've got to suit a new audience, it annoys me enough when they do it with TV shows (don't even get me started on The Inbetweeners) if the US doesn't like LM as they are then that's their loss. I'd like to think that their team are finally doing something right- the KCAs is a great opportunity for them as they will be doing a mashup of SOTME & Touch (as confirmed by the girls yesterday) so that will give both Songs some promo. Doing Late Late Show is also great, hopefully there will be several more TV appearances in the next few weeks

+Quote this post
Untypical Mixer
post Mar 1 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #8
Group icon
New Entry
I'm sure they will just do Glory Days (which makes me kind of sad. - Have much different opinion of GD than most fans) Their team does appear to actually be on it this time. I just don't know about the Kid's Choice Awards. I'm all for them getting seen. It just feel like it's a strange appearance and audience to target. They need more appearances on things like award shows (like VMAs or Billboard Music Awards) guest performer on results night of The Voice, all the major talk shows even Saturday Night Live. Billboard has been talking them up on social media a lot recently with a lot of hints that something is coming like possibly a performance on the show. What I'm bracing for mostly is the all the people in the US that have "moved on" from their type of pop music to something "more serious." It's weird. Like it'll will kill your credibility if you admit you like Little Mix. There are still many here though, like me, that have always loved that type of music and will see them as not only great entertainers but great singers. That's key, too. At least one big performance should cut out any flash and simply be them showcasing how truly great their voices are. It's going to be crucial to making new fans and getting taken seriously to show that they really have talent and not just another girl group. I wanted to scream every time someone asks me if they are like the new Spice Girls. I mean yes they are in a way, but then again not at all. I want people to get that they aren't any old group. There is something very special about them. Last, I think it's imperative they are able to really show their personalities and dynamic with each other. If they can do that, people are going to love them. Perrie is going to translate very well over here. Everytime I see LM introduced to someone new, her voice is always the one that gets the most reaction and she's incredibly funny and that is honestly not knock to the other 3 who are just as important.

This post has been edited by Untypical Mixer: Mar 1 2017, 11:53 AM

+Quote this post
Electro Paradise
post Mar 1 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 11,104
Presumably they're on the KCAs because it's one of the only award shows they can get on with the lack of success they're currently having. Hopefully if Touch can do something they'll get more slots in places that their target audience are likely to be. At least we know if Touch takes off they're following it up with 'No More Sad Songs' which is definitely the right choice.I just hope Touch does enough that they get the next single because this one single every year will not do them any favours either. They need an extended campaign to give people time to warm to them. In the UK they had a huge platform but it was only really album three where they took off. The US has not had that luxury, yes die hard fans can follow them online, but a lot of the general public will still not be all that aware they even exist.

I'm a bit gutted the team didn't ride SOTME out sooner for longer, it rocketed up the charts early on and had they been in a position to come to the US at the time for some decent promo they may have got a top 40 hit with it. They could then have followed it up with Touch. The fact that they let songs do well with the fans then wait so long to actually send it to radio and get the girls over to the US isn't helping matters either. They need to strike whilst the iron is hot, not once it's cooled off.

Hopefully the new remix will get radio playing it more and put some much needed life into it's position on iTunes and Spotify. I really want Touch to because even a minor hit in the US so they can follow it up with NMSS and begin to get a proper foundation going over there again.

+Quote this post
Untypical Mixer
post Mar 3 2017, 12:40 AM
Post #10
Group icon
New Entry
Wow, I feel like a total outsider this era. The two songs everyone seems to love the most (NMSS, Touch) are two of my least favorite on GD. The album as a whole is my probably my least favorite (that's a subject for it's own thread). That's probably what makes me feel really unclear about their chances in the US. I have been part of the small US fan base for years and really have seen nothing (aside from the music and the girls themselves) but botched attempt after attempt to break the US. If all this ends up that way then I sadly but realistically think it's time to give it up. From a purely business standpoint these continued poor showings here can't be cheap. Cut your financial losses, stop wasting the girls' time and effort, and focus on keeping them going strong in the UK. They can still release new material here for the few die hard US fans. It's hard for me to say that but I think it's best.

This post has been edited by Untypical Mixer: Mar 3 2017, 12:41 AM

+Quote this post
MrLoverboy
post Mar 3 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 22,989
QUOTE(Untypical Mixer @ Mar 2 2017, 09:40 PM) *
Wow, I feel like a total outsider this era. The two songs everyone seems to love the most (NMSS, Touch) are two of my least favorite on GD.

Most appropriate username ever laugh.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:06 AM