BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PewDiePie & anti-semitic allegations, dropped by Disney and YouTube distancing themselves
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Feb 14 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #1
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The New York Times)
The Disney-owned Maker Studios and YouTube have pulled away from PewDiePie, one of the video platform’s most popular stars, after a report that he had posted several videos featuring anti-Semitic imagery.

Maker Studios said on Monday that it had severed ties with the star, Felix Kjellberg, a Swede better known by his YouTube alias PewDiePie, while YouTube said on Tuesday that it had canceled the release of a coming series and dropped him from a premier advertising program.

The announcements came after The Wall Street Journal reported that Mr. Kjellberg had posted nine anti-Semitic videos since August.

“Although Felix has created a following by being provocative and irreverent, he clearly went too far in this case, and the resulting videos are inappropriate,’’ a Maker Studios spokeswoman said in a statement on Monday. “Maker Studios has made the decision to end our affiliation with him going forward.”

On Tuesday, a YouTube spokeswoman said the service was canceling the release of “Scare PewDiePie Season 2,” a sequel to an original YouTube series, and dropping PewDiePie from Google Preferred, a program that offers advertisers access to its most popular channels.

With 53 million subscribers, Mr. Kjellberg has amassed one of the largest audiences on YouTube by posting clips of himself playing and talking about video games accompanied by humorous commentary.

According to Social Blade, which compiles data on social media, PewDiePie is the most popular user on YouTube. His videos have attracted nearly 14.7 billion views.

In December, Forbes magazine estimated that Mr. Kjellberg had earned $15 million in the year that ended last June, thanks largely to his book, “This Book Loves You,” and his series on YouTube Red, Google’s paid subscription service, which offers ad-free viewing among other benefits.

One of the videos identified by The Journal featured a man dressed as Jesus Christ saying, “Hitler did absolutely nothing wrong.” In another, Mr. Kjellberg hired two men to make and display a sign that said, “Death to All Jews,” according to The Journal.

PewDiePie removed those videos, along with a third, but not before they had amassed about 23 million views, The Journal reported. All three were published last month.

Mr. Kjellberg addressed the criticism in a Sunday post on Tumblr, the popular blogging platform. “I think it’s important to say something, and I want to make one thing clear: I am in no way supporting any kind of hateful attitudes,” he said. He added: “Though this was not my intention, I understand that these jokes were ultimately offensive.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/business...isney.html?_r=0

I'm not a fan of YouTubers on the whole and have only watched like two of his videos BUT, from the little I understand, I think that this has all been a bit over the top and we're straying into this culture where everyone has to be perfect and no risks can be taken in terms of speech. There's no room for pushing boundaries of being controversial anymore.

From what I understand, one of the main comments that has been highlighted has been that he hired two men to hold up a sign saying 'death to all Jews'. I've never seen the video in question but he said that was to do with this website where you can hire people to do anything you want and so it was showing how dangerous that can be. I don't see anything wrong with that IF that's what the video was about?

What are your thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 14 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #2
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

In this climate, I have very little sympathy for the plight of a millionaire who paid people to hold a sign saying "Death to All Jews", regardless of whether it was "for the lulz" or not. Disney's contract with presumably says that he would not engage this sort of activity that could be seen as hateful, and if that's the case, it was the right thing to do to terminate his contract.

I would say now though that the exposure that PDP has received as a result of this would more than outweigh the money he's lost as a result of losing the DIsney contract. The story's been over all the main news headlines, and no publicity's good publicity etc.

+Quote Post
danG
post Feb 14 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #3
Danvicii
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think he's genuinely racist (just trying to be controversial for publicity/views) but the Nazi imagery and 'death to all Jews' sign stunt is going too far and isn't funny. At the end of the day Disney is in the right to drop him in the interest of their own reputation. He should've realised people would be offended.

I don't watch his videos anyway, never saw the big appeal.

+Quote Post
Meatball Cody
post Feb 14 2017, 10:19 PM
Post #4
the hood
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

lmao the scandal

this is why i'm team markiplier

+Quote Post
Capybréra
post Feb 14 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #5
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Eh this is all very overblown, it's Disney/YouTube's right to drop him of course and he's rich enough that this won't really affect him, but it was just edgy humour, he's not really antisemitic. (I have become a bit of a fan of PewDiePie recently and did actually see the 'death to all Jews' video when it was posted, he may have gone a little bit too far with that but in context it's really not as bad as the media coverage makes it out to be).

I'm not sure why Disney associated themselves with PewDiePie in the first place. His videos are not at all family friendly, even ignoring these 'extreme' cases laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Meatball Cody
post Feb 14 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #6
the hood
   No Gallery Pics

i'm not entirely sure the same people who watch pewdiepie's videos are the target audience for bizaardvark

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 14 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #7
Get Free.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 67

QUOTE(Cody Slayberry @ Feb 14 2017, 05:19 PM) *
lmao the scandal

this is why i'm team markiplier

YESSSSSSS.

Literally the only YouTube personality that I thoroughly enjoy more so than the content he's talking about. I also enjoy theradbrad. Lol @ me.

I can't stand any of the other gaming channel personalities, especially pewdiepie... but, I agree with a lot of the statements above. Why the f*** did Disney think would happen in this demographic. You're taking these people who make their living off humorimg others, no holds bar on YouTube and then expecting shit to be like bear in the big blue f***ing house?

With that being said, he deserved to be punished but not this severely.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 14 2017, 11:01 PM
Post #8
Get Free.

Ps - YouTube sucks now.

READ IT AND SEND IT ALONG, GOOGLE.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 14 2017, 11:04 PM
Post #9
Get Free.

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Feb 14 2017, 03:45 PM) *
I would say now though that the exposure that PDP has received as a result of this would more than outweigh the money he's lost as a result of losing the DIsney contract. The story's been over all the main news headlines, and no publicity's good publicity etc.

A classic Katy Perry.

From now on when the media is doing this let's all just yell KERRY.

+Quote Post
popchartfreak
post Feb 15 2017, 05:00 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Disney have a long history of anti-semitic criticism from dear ol Walt's opinions, so anyone raking in loads of dollars should be aware of what his employer's rules are. Anyone who has a job and brings the company into disrepute gets fired in the real world, just Lol'ing never really counts as an excuse. Frankie Boyle got fired by the Beeb over comments comparing an Olympic athlete to something not very flattering, and The Mouth & The Ross for a prank phone call that went too far. Live on the edge, sometimes you tip over it....

+Quote Post
Meatball Cody
post Feb 16 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #11
the hood
   No Gallery Pics

just wanna bring this up:

Are we sure that this is a legit thing or is Disney taking things way out of context and this isn't a blatant act of censorship? Because what this feels like is the big guy bullying the little guy to make the big bucks when the little guy makes content that shouldn't even be relevant for your eight-year-old to watch in the first place. What kind of parent lets their kid watch playthroughs of indie horror games? Do they want them to believe that Sophie's Curse is real?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2017 - 09:28 PM