BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joy Villa's popularity serge after Trump support
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Feb 14 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #1
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

You've probably never heard of Joy Villa before and she wasn't nominated for any Grammys nor did she perform so why was she the No. 1 album on US iTunes the day after the Grammys with a 2 1/2 year old EP? It's all down to her wearing a dress that shows her support for Trump and his slogan 'Make America Great Again'. Whether it is a publicity stunt or not, as she seems to have attracted headlines in the past due to her choice of dresses at the Grammys, it has increased awareness and public knowledge of her. In a night heavy of anti-Trump messages, she has been the one to increase her profile, with her Twitter followers rising from 20k to over 100k.

Of course there is a wealth of support for Trump in America and whilst I most positively hate him with a passion (and have done for years), it does make me think more about the arguments that arose last year that the more you can sometimes attack people, the more it strengthens their beliefs. I think the rise in Joy's popularity has been his supporters fighting back because of the whole anti-Trump atmosphere at the Grammys. I don't know what the right answer is in how you deal with fighting back against Trump and his policies but it does continue to seem that his supporters' current reactions are to dig in their heels with their beliefs.

I'm saying all this because its an odd situation where showing your support for a US president gets you a No. 1 iTunes album and 100,000 followers on Twitter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 14 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #2
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

I love how they referred to her as "Grammy considered" incessantly in news coverage laugh.gif

+Quote Post
RobBob
post Feb 14 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #3
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Member No.: 7,117

It's a f***ing ugly dress regardless of the monstrosity emblazoned on it.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Feb 14 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #4
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

The whole Alt-Right movement feeds off of people (of lefties/liberals as they like to call us..) attacking them. It's like a siege mentality.

Look whether we and half of America don't like Trump, a LOT of people really, really like him and believe he will make the USA great. again I doubt that will happen of course, but he's a populist leader for his supporters (who are a powerful bunch), so they will support anyone his supporters...

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Feb 14 2017, 09:12 PM
Post #5
wtf are perfect places
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Feb 14 2017, 09:08 PM) *
The whole Alt-Right movement feeds off of people (of lefties/liberals as they like to call us..) attacking them. It's like a siege mentality.

Look whether we and half of America don't like Trump, a LOT of people really, really like him and believe he will make the USA great. again I doubt that will happen of course, but he's a populist leader for his supporters (who are a powerful bunch), so they will support anyone his supporters...

Yeh, that first point is basically what I was trying to say that this whole thing made me realise. Its kind of that annoying thing where they laugh in the face of it and are so patronising.

I just don't know what can be done to challenge that mentality. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 14 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #6
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Count Olaf @ Feb 14 2017, 09:43 PM) *
Of course there is a wealth of support for Trump in America and whilst I most positively hate him with a passion (and have done for years), it does make me think more about the arguments that arose last year that the more you can sometimes attack people, the more it strengthens their beliefs.

I thought this was pretty common knowledge, and it's pretty true for everyone, regardless of where you place yourself on the political spectrum. There's enormous satisfaction in calling someone you dislike an idiot, a bigot etc, but realistically, dialogue, empathy, and trying to understand where the other person is coming from has a better chance at changing somebody's mind.

As for Joy, the reason she stood out is that at a ceremony where almost everybody was on the same page in terms of not being fans of the Amber One, the one person who swims upstream is always going to grab the most attention.

+Quote Post
Northside Hisser
post Feb 14 2017, 09:36 PM
Post #7
Hiss Hiss Bish.
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

why was she the No. 1 album on US iTunes the day after the Grammys with a 2 1/2 year old EP?

Probably because of bulk buying by rich Republican party members to try and make a political point and give the impression of bigger popular support for Trump than reality.

Are Joy Villa and Azealia Banks the only music stars in the US to apparently support Donald Trump?

This post has been edited by The Wise Sultan: Feb 14 2017, 09:37 PM

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 14 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #8
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The Wise Sultan @ Feb 14 2017, 10:36 PM) *
Are Joy Villa and Azealia Banks the only music stars in the US to apparently support Donald Trump?

There's plenty of country stars that supported Trump. Of course we rarely hear about them over here because, y'know, it's country music.

The lead singer of Eagles of Death Metal (the one who isn't in Queens of The Stone Age) supported Trump too, I believe.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Feb 14 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #9
wtf are perfect places
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Feb 14 2017, 09:13 PM) *
I thought this was pretty common knowledge, and it's pretty true for everyone, regardless of where you place yourself on the political spectrum. There's enormous satisfaction in calling someone you dislike an idiot, a bigot etc, but realistically, dialogue, empathy, and trying to understand where the other person is coming from has a better chance at changing somebody's mind.

As for Joy, the reason she stood out is that at a ceremony where almost everybody was on the same page in terms of not being fans of the Amber One, the one person who swims upstream is always going to grab the most attention.

I think what I'm trying to say is more that it's good that there are these movements where people are uniting against Trump and his policies, as was seen at the Grammys but does that actually work in terms of changing peoples minds. That unification of those beliefs of course can result in the exclusion of people on the other side of the belief, as was seen here. People can perhaps wipe out that unification in one sweep, not listening to the individual comments, because there's no voice of their own so there's no challenge. That's of course why they themselves are uniting against that one voice that 'agrees' with them.

I know it is kind of common sense but, now that Trump is president which I'm still trying to take in, and we have a divided nation in both America and over here, I'm just trying to get my head roundthe solutions to this divide and the problems that are causing it.

+Quote Post
#CodyDecides
post Feb 14 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #10
technique on fleek cause I'm ballet trained
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

it's official

i live in an axis power country

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Feb 14 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #11
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Count Olaf @ Feb 14 2017, 09:55 PM) *
I think what I'm trying to say is more that it's good that there are these movements where people are uniting against Trump and his policies, as was seen at the Grammys but does that actually work in terms of changing peoples minds. That unification of those beliefs of course can result in the exclusion of people on the other side of the belief, as was seen here. People can perhaps wipe out that unification in one sweep, not listening to the individual comments, because there's no voice of their own so there's no challenge. That's of course why they themselves are uniting against that one voice that 'agrees' with them.

I know it is kind of common sense but, now that Trump is president which I'm still trying to take in, and we have a divided nation in both America and over here, I'm just trying to get my head roundthe solutions to this divide and the problems that are causing it.

The solutions to the divide are the fact that life for a lot people, isn't as good as it was 15 years ago. There are parallels to be drawn with both, media attention is centered around DC, New York, California, London etc. everyone forgets about Barnsley, Crewe, Kansas and Arkansas. Populists leaders win the hearts of people because it will be like 'the good old days'. These days of course are absolutely long gone, but people can't accept it because they have always had it that way. There are people in the UK around 50-60 years old who worked for companies that over-paid them, have ridiculous pensions and their house prices are worth 3-4 times what they bought it for and they're STILL not content.

Our economy is poop basically. America has always been divided really, it's hard not to be when you have so many states that are essentially mini countries themselves.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 14 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #12
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Count Olaf @ Feb 14 2017, 10:55 PM) *

I think you've hit upon a pertinent point. As someone who sees himself as a centrist (albeit the wrong kind of centrist), there would be nothing I'd love to see more than those of the left and conservatives coming together to oppose Trump. The problem as I see it however is that the resistance against Trump has excluded a lot of conservatives, and as a result they have either been silent about their opposition to Trump, or even worse, decided to take what they see as the "less bad option" and put their weight behind Trump. Let's not forget that there were many, many people who consider themselves conservatives, or Republicans, who were, and remain, very hostile to Trump, his treatment of various groups, and many of his actions he's carried out since he's become president, and it is those people that those on the left/liberal side of the spectrum should be able to reach out to and get on their side.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Feb 14 2017, 11:14 PM
Post #13
Get Free.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Feb 14 2017, 05:21 PM) *
I think you've hit upon a pertinent point. As someone who sees himself as a centrist (albeit the wrong kind of centrist), there would be nothing I'd love to see more than those of the left and conservatives coming together to oppose Trump. The problem as I see it however is that the resistance against Trump has excluded a lot of conservatives, and as a result they have either been silent about their opposition to Trump, or even worse, decided to take what they see as the "less bad option" and put their weight behind Trump. Let's not forget that there were many, many people who consider themselves conservatives, or Republicans, who were, and remain, very hostile to Trump, his treatment of various groups, and many of his actions he's carried out since he's become president, and it is those people that those on the left/liberal side of the spectrum should be able to reach out to and get on their side.

DING DING DING!

We are literally f***ed over here, unless people can stop blaming each other and start having more educated and respectful discussions. People are jumping at the opportunity to get into an altercation with anyone that has a differing opinion. It's sad, I think it's starting to get better, because those conservative (the non brain dead ones) are finally starting to see that Trump is f***ing our country up.

It's exhausting, it's sometimes infuriating. But, I have gotten a lot of people to help me protest that have COMPLETELY different ideals than me simply by explaining my plight as a minority and how their support and the support of my fellow Americans is the only safety net I have right now. A silver lining in all this is I have convinced a lot of people out of homophobia and xenophobia by simply appealing to emotion rather than anger.

+Quote Post
JSG
post Feb 15 2017, 08:43 AM
Post #14
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

Trumps approval rating is in the gutter cheer.gif He is an ass.

+Quote Post
danG
post Feb 15 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #15
Danvīci
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

That's offensive to actual asses, he's worse than that. kink.gif

+Quote Post
JSG
post Feb 15 2017, 10:53 AM
Post #16
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

QUOTE(danG @ Feb 15 2017, 10:01 AM) *
That's offensive to actual asses, he's worse than that. kink.gif

*asshole better?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 03:00 PM