BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music Consumption, Behaviour and Product Survey, Like Music? Tell me how (For Dissertation)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Draper
post Mar 14 2017, 11:45 PM
Post #1
Heartbeat Beastie
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,162
   No Gallery Pics

If anyone would be so kind as to complete this survey for my 3rd year Music Business Project that would be marvellous!:)

I've come up with a new format for physical music consumption and am seeking your thoughts!

No more than 10 minutes!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/P5M5VFC

This post has been edited by Draper: Mar 14 2017, 11:56 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 15 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Completed biggrin.gif good luck with this project!

+Quote Post
Draper
post Mar 15 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #3
Heartbeat Beastie
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Mar 15 2017, 12:00 AM) *
Completed biggrin.gif good luck with this project!

Awh thank you hun<3 biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mattias
post Mar 15 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #4
//
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Done biggrin.gif Interesting stuff, good luck!

+Quote Post
Draper
post Mar 15 2017, 12:11 AM
Post #5
Heartbeat Beastie
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Mar 15 2017, 12:03 AM) *
Done biggrin.gif Interesting stuff, good luck!

Thanks so much pal!

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Mar 15 2017, 12:19 AM
Post #6
long hair don't care
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 13,530

Completed!! Hope it all goes well for you biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Draper
post Mar 15 2017, 12:21 AM
Post #7
Heartbeat Beastie
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JosephSharman @ Mar 15 2017, 12:19 AM) *
Completed!! Hope it all goes well for you biggrin.gif

Cheers! Getting some great responses already, even from those who aren't feeling the product, Great feedback!

+Quote Post
awardinary™
post Mar 15 2017, 12:32 AM
Post #8
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Hey Draper!

I loved your survey, it's given me much to think about.

Some additional data I want to share with you in my case (which wasn't an option) was how I listen to music, one way I presently do this is via Apple TV which I play my music collection through often when I'm at home. I also listen to music at night when I sleep but this is mainly ambient/chillout music to help me sleep.

The MUSB looks very interesting though.

Is it worth mentioning the short term, somewhat failed attempt, at mini discs in the mid-00's. As it never took off I never opted to purchase one!

+Quote Post
Draper
post Mar 15 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #9
Heartbeat Beastie
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(awardinary™ @ Mar 15 2017, 12:32 AM) *
Hey Draper!

I loved your survey, it's given me much to think about.

Some additional data I want to share with you in my case (which wasn't an option) was how I listen to music, one way I presently do this is via Apple TV which I play my music collection through often when I'm at home. I also listen to music at night when I sleep but this is mainly ambient/chillout music to help me sleep.

The MUSB looks very interesting though.

Is it worth mentioning the short term, somewhat failed attempt, at mini discs in the mid-00's. As it never took off I never opted to purchase one!

Oh fantastic, thank you for the detailed response! Dang, should've put an optional extra comment box. That sounds interesting, I'll defo keep note and refer back to this in my results:)

+Quote Post
Jacob Alan
post Mar 15 2017, 02:08 AM
Post #10
Jacob Alan
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Done! I may have written a bit of an essay on each of the written questions, hope that's ok. laugh.gif

It's such an interesting and cool idea, I really hope it works out for you!

If anyone's interested I copied my responses so thought I might as well post them here:

22. My favourite method to consume music is
CDs

23. Because...

I say CDs but I like to buy CDs then rip the files (usually at mp3 320kps or AIFF/lostless) to iTunes- it usually means the audio files are better quality and since I prefer to purchase albums/ EPs rather than singles (of course I make exceptions, notably for lead singles before an album's been released) most of the time CDs are actually either the same price or cheaper than buying the mp3 files, it's just getting more for less really. I don't like to illegally download (not that I don't understand people that do, I used to and I know people have different priorities with money etc) because music is a huge part of my life and I want to support the artists I like, especially if they're less commercially successful and really need the sales. Also as a musician myself I know how hard it can be to try to make a living out of music. I don't like streaming so much, I rarely use it outside of shared/ family spaces because it doesn't really feel like you own an actual copy of the music and you have to have a constant internet connection, no one can guarantee spotify will be there forever but I have a lot more confidence that my (15000+) song collection will be safe for years to come, not to mention that although streaming services have a lot they don't have everything.

I buy CDs or have CD's bought for me because...
It's nice to have something physical really, I have several CDs with artist's signatures on them which obviously adds a lot of value to them. Also it means that the music is safe if I somehow lost the data on my PC and like I mentioned in the previous point, CDs are almost always the same price or cheaper than mp3 purchases so it's always worth it for something extra because with the CD you can create mp3s files anyway and you can never resell mp3s whereas if you really wanted to you could do with CDs (admittedly not for very much but the point is you still have an item with some intrinsic monetary value).

33. I buy Vinyl or have Vinyl bought for me because...
I love vinyl, sadly it's not all that practical so I don't have very many, however I do have access to a record player and I've been through my parent's vinyl collections before, plus I have purchased a limited amount of my own. Usually they're either among my favourite album or interesting looking second hand albums I found in record shops or carnival stalls. I have a casual interest in collecting them but I won't go out of my way to do so and I don't use it as a primary method of listening to music- it does sound fantastic when I do use it however.

39. What are your initial thoughts of the MUSB Box?
Looks pretty amazing, I'd definitely consider purchasing a MUSB personally as an alternative to CD- like it said in the video, I do value ownership over access and it looks incredibly personalised. plus it's a really cool/ efficient way of transporting the media. All of that said it does seem like the kind of package that'd be geared towards mostly long term dedicated fans of particular artists and not so much for the casual listener (who admittedly would be more likely to stick to streaming anyway) since the entire package does look like one of those deluxe packages you get for preordering an album or the final 'reward' for contributing to a fundraiser for an album for example. It kind of depends a little on the price tag as well, would it be a similar price to a CD or similar to a vinyl because obviously that would make a big difference. Personally I'd also want to know what kind of files would be put on the usbs, would they be lossless or mp3s? I do feel that in the modern age if it became well known enough the MUSB would completely overshadow CDs but vinyls are retro and different enough to maintain their own market.

47. How would you improve the MUSB Box, if at all?
I said £15-19.99 as a max price considering all of the extras that could be/ are included in the box but realistically I think £10-14.99 or just a similar price to a new CD (£9.99 ish) would be a good price for the full package. As for the box itself, it might be better if it were more compact because I could easily see a bigger more hollow box with thin cardboard getting damaged whereas if it were slightly slimmer they might be easier to maintain and transport- as long as everything still fit. CD cases are quite resilient which is possibly one of the few things that medium might still have over this one. It might potentially work to just sell the album booklet and wristband USB for a slightly lower price and the full set of items for £2-£3 more or something like that to appeal to a wider market.

48. Do you think the MUSB Box is a good alternative option for physical ownership?
Absolutely, the wristband presentation is a fantastic idea and it's a great way of selling music via USB which hasn't really been properly utilised as of yet.

This post has been edited by Jacob Alan: Mar 15 2017, 02:09 AM

+Quote Post
awardinary™
post Mar 15 2017, 06:40 AM
Post #11
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

I must admit Jacob that I felt similarly to you in many of those areas. I don't buy vinyl personally but I certainly buy CD's and mainly just to add to my huge collection. I stopped buying artists albums some years ago mainly due to a lack of space for them, but I do still love to collect compilations like the Now series or other older dance compilations to add.

Because it was the last thing I did before falling asleep it doesn't surprise me that I had a dream that everyone owned a MUSB laugh.gif Needless to say it looked cool, and I can tell I want to see this become a reality.

As I mentioned too, to have more value for money I'd like to have included the music video for the song(s).

I did question too that once you use a MUSB to access the music files would you ever need to use the MUSB again? Unless of course you lose the files somehow. But it looks like a 1 time use and then it just seems non essential?

I agree also with Jacob that the size of the box and the materials it is made with are important. Just imagine how places like ASDA would struggle with shelf space for hundreds of MUSB's of that size shown in the video.

Otherwise I'm excited to have played a tiny part in revolutionising the music industry! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Draper
post Mar 15 2017, 09:24 AM
Post #12
Heartbeat Beastie
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jacob Alan @ Mar 15 2017, 02:08 AM) *
Done! I may have written a bit of an essay on each of the written questions, hope that's ok. laugh.gif

It's such an interesting and cool idea, I really hope it works out for you!

If anyone's interested I copied my responses so thought I might as well post them here:

22. My favourite method to consume music is
CDs

23. Because...

I say CDs but I like to buy CDs then rip the files (usually at mp3 320kps or AIFF/lostless) to iTunes- it usually means the audio files are better quality and since I prefer to purchase albums/ EPs rather than singles (of course I make exceptions, notably for lead singles before an album's been released) most of the time CDs are actually either the same price or cheaper than buying the mp3 files, it's just getting more for less really. I don't like to illegally download (not that I don't understand people that do, I used to and I know people have different priorities with money etc) because music is a huge part of my life and I want to support the artists I like, especially if they're less commercially successful and really need the sales. Also as a musician myself I know how hard it can be to try to make a living out of music. I don't like streaming so much, I rarely use it outside of shared/ family spaces because it doesn't really feel like you own an actual copy of the music and you have to have a constant internet connection, no one can guarantee spotify will be there forever but I have a lot more confidence that my (15000+) song collection will be safe for years to come, not to mention that although streaming services have a lot they don't have everything.
I buy CDs or have CD's bought for me because...
It's nice to have something physical really, I have several CDs with artist's signatures on them which obviously adds a lot of value to them. Also it means that the music is safe if I somehow lost the data on my PC and like I mentioned in the previous point, CDs are almost always the same price or cheaper than mp3 purchases so it's always worth it for something extra because with the CD you can create mp3s files anyway and you can never resell mp3s whereas if you really wanted to you could do with CDs (admittedly not for very much but the point is you still have an item with some intrinsic monetary value).

33. I buy Vinyl or have Vinyl bought for me because...
I love vinyl, sadly it's not all that practical so I don't have very many, however I do have access to a record player and I've been through my parent's vinyl collections before, plus I have purchased a limited amount of my own. Usually they're either among my favourite album or interesting looking second hand albums I found in record shops or carnival stalls. I have a casual interest in collecting them but I won't go out of my way to do so and I don't use it as a primary method of listening to music- it does sound fantastic when I do use it however.

39. What are your initial thoughts of the MUSB Box?
Looks pretty amazing, I'd definitely consider purchasing a MUSB personally as an alternative to CD- like it said in the video, I do value ownership over access and it looks incredibly personalised. plus it's a really cool/ efficient way of transporting the media. All of that said it does seem like the kind of package that'd be geared towards mostly long term dedicated fans of particular artists and not so much for the casual listener (who admittedly would be more likely to stick to streaming anyway) since the entire package does look like one of those deluxe packages you get for preordering an album or the final 'reward' for contributing to a fundraiser for an album for example. It kind of depends a little on the price tag as well, would it be a similar price to a CD or similar to a vinyl because obviously that would make a big difference. Personally I'd also want to know what kind of files would be put on the usbs, would they be lossless or mp3s? I do feel that in the modern age if it became well known enough the MUSB would completely overshadow CDs but vinyls are retro and different enough to maintain their own market.

47. How would you improve the MUSB Box, if at all?
I said £15-19.99 as a max price considering all of the extras that could be/ are included in the box but realistically I think £10-14.99 or just a similar price to a new CD (£9.99 ish) would be a good price for the full package. As for the box itself, it might be better if it were more compact because I could easily see a bigger more hollow box with thin cardboard getting damaged whereas if it were slightly slimmer they might be easier to maintain and transport- as long as everything still fit. CD cases are quite resilient which is possibly one of the few things that medium might still have over this one. It might potentially work to just sell the album booklet and wristband USB for a slightly lower price and the full set of items for £2-£3 more or something like that to appeal to a wider market.

48. Do you think the MUSB Box is a good alternative option for physical ownership?
Absolutely, the wristband presentation is a fantastic idea and it's a great way of selling music via USB which hasn't really been properly utilised as of yet.

The details here are extraordinary thank you so so much. There's lots to consider here.

The price tag would almost definately be closer to a CD than a Vinyl as the production cost isn't at all expensive. I believe the MUSB's would hold the highest quality digital music (lossless) if space allowed it.

I definately agree with making the box more compact, I tried to make it as small as possible but kinda overestimated the size before I got the items to put it in. A flatter more sturdy box was definately intended! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Draper
post Mar 15 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #13
Heartbeat Beastie
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(awardinary™ @ Mar 15 2017, 06:40 AM) *
I must admit Jacob that I felt similarly to you in many of those areas. I don't buy vinyl personally but I certainly buy CD's and mainly just to add to my huge collection. I stopped buying artists albums some years ago mainly due to a lack of space for them, but I do still love to collect compilations like the Now series or other older dance compilations to add.

Because it was the last thing I did before falling asleep it doesn't surprise me that I had a dream that everyone owned a MUSB laugh.gif Needless to say it looked cool, and I can tell I want to see this become a reality.

As I mentioned too, to have more value for money I'd like to have included the music video for the song(s).

I did question too that once you use a MUSB to access the music files would you ever need to use the MUSB again? Unless of course you lose the files somehow. But it looks like a 1 time use and then it just seems non essential?

I agree also with Jacob that the size of the box and the materials it is made with are important. Just imagine how places like ASDA would struggle with shelf space for hundreds of MUSB's of that size shown in the video.

Otherwise I'm excited to have played a tiny part in revolutionising the music industry! laugh.gif

That's so cool that you had a dream like that haha, I'm gonna try make that a reality!

Music Videos are definately something to consider adding to the data as well as desktop promo shoots.

My personal belief at the moment is that with CDs a lot of consumers burn them once and no longer use it again and keep them as a collectable item as most music is played via computers/phones etc. Like I know tonnes of people who stick the CDs on a shelf to collect dust or in the side of a car, never seeing the light of day again. For me, CDs arent marketed for that but the MUSB's understand this is how consumers behave nowadays and would be marketed as a one time exchange of data, with the possibility of unlocked competition codes on the website (thus creating an experience) and then using the wristband as a fashion statement as well as the extra GB to carry data for school/work etc.

I believe they can be successfully used, particularly at gigs as a social signal of support and allegiance to the band. Some could even be numbered with a bingo type game played to meet the band after the gig or a golden ticket type, the possibilities are endless. (My pesonal favourite would be a UV light up one that the band plays during a song and you lift you hadn in the air if you bought one and if it glows you win!) . My goal is to create more interactivity, engagement and experience! smile.gif

Thanks for the response<3

This post has been edited by Draper: Mar 15 2017, 09:32 AM

+Quote Post
awardinary™
post Mar 15 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #14
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

I love your vision! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Qween
post Mar 15 2017, 09:48 AM
Post #15
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 11,709

Done! Very interesting idea, tried to give as detailed feedback as I could.

+Quote Post
No Sleeep
post Mar 19 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 22,008
   No Gallery Pics

Done! Do you like doing music business? I want to do that at uni next year

+Quote Post
common sense
post Mar 19 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Done.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Mar 19 2017, 05:38 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Done

+Quote Post
Draper
post Mar 21 2017, 03:18 PM
Post #19
Heartbeat Beastie
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(No Sleeep @ Mar 19 2017, 03:33 PM) *
Done! Do you like doing music business? I want to do that at uni next year

Thanks! It's a bit hit and miss tbh.

I've not had the chance to get really creative with anyone as there seems to be a monolithic type of person that goes to my institute.

i.e average indie rock hipsters.

And I'm all about electronic/alt-RnB/trip-hop.

Saying that, I have got a writing session meet up soon so I suppose you have to make of it what you can and find the right people to work with who have similar interests.

This post has been edited by Draper: Mar 21 2017, 03:27 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2017 - 10:45 AM