BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oscar-nominated performances by... Amy Adams
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Mar 16 2017, 08:42 AM
Post #1
c:
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,692

Hello and welcome to a new weekly feature of the movies forum where we look at a certain actor or actress and the Oscar nominations they received.

AMY ADAMS

Her Oscar nominations have been for:
Best Supporting Actress (2006) - Junebug (as Ashley)
Best Supporting Actress (2009) - Doubt (as Sister James)
Best Supporting Actress (2011) - The Fighter (as Charlene Fleming)
Best Supporting Actress (2013) - The Master (as Peggy Dodd)
Best Leading Actress (2014) - American Hustle (as Sydney Prosser)

How would you rank these performances? Do you think she deserved to win in any of these years? Do you think she deserved nominations for any other performances?

Here are some other awards nominations she has received:
GOLDEN GLOBES
Enchanted (Best Lead Actress - Comedy/Musical)
Doubt (Best Supporting Actress)
The Fighter (Best Supporting Actress)
The Master (Best Supporting Actress)
American Hustle (Best Lead Actress - Comedy/Musical)
Big Eyes (Best Lead Actress - Comedy/Musical)

Arrival (Best Lead Actress - Drama)

BAFTAS
The Master (Best Supporting Actress)
American Hustle (Best Lead Actress)
Big Eyes (Best Lead Actress)
Arrival (Best Lead Actress)

SAG AWARDS
Junebug (Best Supporting Actress)
Arrival (Best Lead Actress)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Mar 16 2017, 08:47 AM
Post #2
c:

I've seen all of these performances now (watched The Master yesterday in preparation for this laugh.gif) and I think I would rank them like this.

1 Junebug
2 The Fighter
3 American Hustle
4 Doubt
5 The Master

Junebug is definitely an award-winning worthy performance, the scene in the hospital breaks my heart every time and it is definitely her best performance for me. I liked her in the Fighter as it was quite different for her but she pulled off being a bit more edgy really well, I probably agree with the Academy that Melissa Leo was better though. In American Hustle, she is one of the standouts for me but she wasn't one of the best of the year for me. In Doubt she was good but probably overshadowed by all of the other actors in the film, even Viola stole the show in about seven minutes of screen time! She doesn't really do anything at all in The Master, I was really quite disappointed as I heard it was one of her best performances but she hardly did anything, a few moments were interesting but they weren't particularly hard to act and she was overshadowed by the other actors in the film too.

She's a fantastic actress (and definitely should've made the top 5 this year with Arrival) but she's rarely been the best in her year for me (aside from Junebug but I haven't seen the Constant Gardener so idk). Hopefully she'll win her Oscar soon !

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 16 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #3
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

MY KIND OF THREAD.

MY QUEEN.

1 Junebug
2 The Fighter
3 Doubt
4 American Hustle
5 The Master

I agree about Junebug, recent viewings made me love it even more. The scene in the hospital should have nabbed her the win alone. The way she goes from crying her eyes out to laughing about peanuts was a masterclass in acting and she manged to show off how a woman might be affecte dby such a horrible thing happening to her. "it's not my fault" had me weeping uncontrollably.
But there are so many moments in the movie that prove how talented she is. I love how wide eyed and innocent Ashley was, she was so positive and kind hearted, you can't help but love her and want her to be happy.

The Fighter is a f***ing awesome movie and probably the most un-Amy role ever. Seeing her so rugged and fiesty was a change. DON'T CALL ME SKANK *.* can you imagine Giselle or Louise Banks saying that?

Doubt and American Hustle are both fab. Doubt, she was in the middle of 3 other huge powerhouses so maybe did get lost but for the most part she held her own, and does the timid but wise nun well. Americna Hustle I've fallen less in love with over recent stories about her time on it, it sullies the enjoyment for me. I also think she was better in Her and if she had been nominated for it, might have won. She does tend to exel more in those subtler roles more.

The Master was a movie I never really liked, she was good in it but othe than the "f***. f*** Away" scene and the handjob bit, I have no memory of her. Not because she was ba dbut becasue I couldn't connect with the plot at all. I was glad she has another movie with both Phillip and Joaquin because I liked seeing her with them.

As for roles she SHOULD have been nominated for.

Nocturnal Animals.

As with 2013 and Her and Americna Hustle, she had two really strong performances that were totally different. Unlike said year, I think her more outlandish role in NA was more Oscar worthy and certainly a million times better than Emma in La La Land which was average at best. The way Amy goes from cold but still human PresentSusan, to more lively PastSusan was really well acted. Even without the change in wardrobe you could tell which Susan was what. And the fact tht for many parts of the movie she is either reading or staring into space, she conveys so much emotion with just her face.

Arrival was obviously amazing but maybe not quite as good as NA, maybe because you had to spend more time figuring out the plot and world around Amy wheras in NA, she WAS the story and it couldn't move on without her, in a way.

Some other roles that she deserved more love for:

Sunshine Cleaning
Miss Pettygrew Lives for a Day
Enchanted obv.
Julie & Julia (i thought she was just as good as Meryl, just because she wasn't as outlandish doesn't make it weaker)
BIG EYES (how was she not nominated for this?)
Trouble With The Curve (tbh an underrated movie of hers, I adore this and she had amazing chemistry with Justin and Clint)

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Mar 16 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #4
c:

I agree with you on The Master, Grant! Those were two scenes that I thought, ooh her character is finally doing something interesting but then they ended without really going anywhere and any actress could've done the same job.

Can't believe she didn't make it this year over Meryl Streep or Emma Stone tbh (not that the latter was in any danger of missing out, I imagine Ruth Negga probably got the 5th spot).

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 21 2017, 12:43 AM
Post #5
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

I've actually never seen any of her Oscar nominated performances ohmy.gif (though I have seen EVERY single film she was snubbed for!!!! Maybe I'm a curse laugh.gif)

Was desperate to see Junebug but it went off Netflix before I got time to watch it sad.gif rly want to check it out!
Doubt I wouldn't mind seeing but I'm in no rush
Would like to see The Fighter
Have very little interest in The Master
American Hustle is the one I most want to see, I have it in DVD also!!

The snubs:
Enchanted - should've been nominated, she's incredible in this <3
Julie & Julia - also loved her in this! Not sure id have her in my final 5 but she definitely deserved to be more in the conversation than she was
Big Eyes - she was excellent in this, so underrated and should have been nominated for this! (I haven't seen Marion so I'd say over her but I'd put her over Felicity also but she was weaker than Reese/Rosamund/Julianne!)
Arrival - should've been nominated again! Sfg in this and she gave the 2nd best actress performance of 2016! (Behind Emma Stone ofc)
Nocturnal Animals - not too bothered about this one actually! She was good but not Oscar nominee worthy for this in my view!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:39 AM