BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SEXISM (2017)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Houdini
post Mar 21 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

What are your general views on sexism? do you think it is reducing or is it getting worse over time and do you think it is more weighted towards one gender rather than both?

The motivation for this topic is this video below which I stumbled accross from Rae Sremmurd which has shocked me quite a lot. Remember these are the guys that loads of people were going crazy for a few months ago due to their "Black Beatles" song.

Jaws will be on the ground after you watch this video, that much I'm sure of!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spinfanny
post Mar 21 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #2
To tell the truth....I just wanna be part of your spinfanny.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Definitely America has worse sexism than Europe, between Trump, this video you posted and the lyrics of 'Broccoli'.

+Quote Post
lordita
post Mar 21 2017, 01:45 PM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,777

in the UK women are paid 80% of what men are paid per hour. STILL. IT'S 2017 AND A f***ING WAGE GAP EXISTS. it's surprising how much day to day sexism still exists, at work i regularly face being asked for someone else to help (aka, i have to go get a man because my little lady arms POSSIBLY couldn't manage carrying out things to cars, or my little lady brain just can not fathom how to use the computer system i get trained to use ohmy.gif), and people STILL get surprised when they find out what i study... i have had people call me "brave" before for studying a "mans subject". the irony is they always act so impressed over the politics side of my course whereas it's childs play compared to studying another language, which somehow never seems to impress people as much :') cat calling and being talked to inappropriately remains a daily fear. this is quite a self indulgent rant but what scares me is this is just the shit me and my friends put up with daily, when in reality for a lot of people it's so much worse. to your question if it's reducing or getting worse over time... i honestly can't say. nationally and internationally, there are signs of improvement but then also harsh reminders we continue to live in an imbalanced society.

i will watch that video in full later + comment on that! (i listened to the first couple of minutes and oh god....)

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Mar 21 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #4
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

omg you set lotti off

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Mar 21 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #5
One Mississippi you're here, luvin me with all your heart
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,161

That interview with Rae Sremmurd is shocking! ohmy.gif What upsets me is that a lot of people simply don't care about sexism like that (or sexism in general unfortunately) and brush it all off when it's still a huge problem in our society. I'm sure pretty much all of us would love Sexism (and homophobia, racism etc) to be wiped out entirely but I can't see that happening sad.gif While disapproved by most, prejudice seems to be ingrained in the world and will always be there sadly.

+Quote Post
lordita
post Mar 21 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #6
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

linguistically as well women continue to be treated in a derogatory manner and it's so socially intwined that none of us even notice we're doing it. like take the different terms we would use for men or women who have a lot of sex. for men it's usually words like "stud, lad" (usually used positively) whereas for a woman it would be "whore, $l*t". then if you look at the NEGATIVE terms used for a man who has a lot of sex you're looking at "manwhore, manslut" aka taking words used for woman and having to add the word MAN in front of it. if you want to find a generic sentence, saying "a man got on the bus" would be seen as pretty normal, but if you say "a woman got onto a bus" linguistically it's more specific there's more detail, because being a man is seen as the "norm". this isn't anything what is ever going to change but it's the root of the problem :') when you see the figure on the traffic lights you'd assume it's a man, just because it isn't wearing the generic stick figure skirt. why can't it be a short haired trouser wearing women?

i know none of this really is that deep or matters that much compared to the real problems of wage inequality, sexual attacks, fgm, forced marriages etc, but i find it pretty interesting to consider the "norms" in society which teach us that women are lesser beings than men. whether you think sexism "really" exists or not i think these kind of subliminal aspects really prove that sexism underlines all society

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Mar 21 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Oh God their attitudes to women is appalling, like I almost refuse to believe they are being for real. I knew 'Black Beatles' was a disgusting song lyrically but I thought perhaps they were just being ironic or there was something I was just missing, but the video above would say otherwise. How the woman co-hosting could sit there and give them the time of day is beyond me.

+Quote Post
Spinfanny
post Mar 21 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #8
To tell the truth....I just wanna be part of your spinfanny.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Mar 21 2017, 02:43 PM) *
Oh God their attitudes to women is appalling, like I almost refuse to believe they are being for real. I knew 'Black Beatles' was a disgusting song lyrically but I thought perhaps they were just being ironic or there was something I was just missing, but the video above would say otherwise. How the woman co-hosting could sit there and give them the time of day is beyond me.

Yes I was hoping she was going to stand up against what was being said.

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Mar 21 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

It was the way one of them was heartlessly & shamelessly talking about getting oral sex from women and then not letting them stay in the hotel rooms that I found most shocking about that interview and yes the woman seemed to encourage it as well and not feel offended in the slightest which is worrying to be honest.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Mar 22 2017, 11:19 PM
Post #10
Sleeplessly embracing
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Not good.

+Quote Post
UltraRedLight
post Mar 22 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #11
That Was The Moment I Knew 💔
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947
   No Gallery Pics

I got through 5 minutes of that video and I actually feel sick. Who the actual f*** do they think they are and that they can treat us like that. That interview is horrifying and horrendous and practically sums up what is wrong with certain people in society, the fact that people can still get away with making these comments in 2017 and sounding in a way that it's acceptable.

I've already had multiple feminist and sexism rants this week so I'm not gonna go off on another one right now but I am so angry at so many things I have heard this week and it just completely shocks me that some people see this stuff as acceptable.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 23 2017, 12:09 AM
Post #12
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

It's certainly an issue, I don't think the whole media culture really helps women either. Women are seen as sex objects and have been for a long, long time. Not sure what can be done to stop this unfortunately.

Gender pay is an issue too. I think when the pay reporting comes in line next year it will show some very telling stuff. But I also don't think it's as big an issue as people make out there to be. Certainly at board room level there tends to be an issue.. but how can you stop biology and women getting pregnant? You cannot. I think moving forward there will be changes for generations to come but right now if you look at 2017 it will be very male skewed. I am not sure it will be the same in 2027. But again, you always need to hire the best person for the job, it should not matter what their gender/race/sexuality etc etc is.

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Mar 23 2017, 12:47 AM
Post #13
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,835

So much wrongness in the first 5 minutes I couldnt imagine what the full interview is like. The most eyeballing scratching moment is how they think some of the stuff aint cheating nono.gif What arrogant pricks.

As for sexism as whole I don't know if it will ever not be thing sadly and thats because a lot of men see woman as sex objects due to the way media protrays women. Equal pay too is another difficulty woman face. If these two issues could be sorted the world would be such a better place for Women, .

+Quote Post
Cody S. Berry
post Mar 23 2017, 08:24 AM
Post #14
bitch i don't need introduction
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I don't even need to watch the whole interview it already looks like a disaster

I agree with Lotti that linguistically there are more negative connotations towards women than men (which has always confused me, most frat boys at my college look like whores so why not call it like it is?), but there's also the problem of people taking things and blowing them out of context and making it seem like the girl is whoring herself out, like this tweet

-

also can someone explain how women owning their sexuality:

a.) makes them sluts, of
b.) augments people's view of them as sex objects?

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 23 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #15
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Exactly, if a woman is choosing to have lots of sex and wants to enjoy it, good on her. It's not a bad thing for men, so it shouldn't be for women. If adults are consenting and having sex it's their business and choice, whether it's with someone they're married to or it's a single woman on Tinder who doesn't want commitment just yet. I think that's one of the glaring points of sexism you realise on a daily basis, the double standards for such silly things. It happened just the other day for me, a female friend of mine kissed two people and a guy said she was a slag yet THAT SAME GUY tried it on with about 6 different girls and all his mates were like "WHEYYY LADZ GET IN LOOOL BANTER" rolleyes.gif It's applauded and worshipped if a guy even gets with a girl for "banter" or uses her but a girl with someone she actually likes and enjoys, just because maybe there were two or three people in a supposedly too small space of time, is seen as a "slag".

+Quote Post
Apafam
post Mar 27 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #16
official memeber
Member No.: 21,005

It's sadly one of those things that don't go away really, like what people were saying in that poll we had a week or two ago. People's personalities are just too varied for everyone to be able to understand or have the capacity to treat both sexes equally. But what really bugs me is the overly feminist videos etc. on Youtube where they make viewpoints that suggest that women feel the need to be treated like gods or something, well soz ladies put you need to revise your definition on 'equality' laugh.gif I just hope not too many people make the incorrect assumption that all feminists are like that and they just hate on all feminists and get the wrong idea :/ the same applies to the whole black people and racism thing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2017 - 11:48 PM