BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this a new low for the Daily Fail?, controversy over sexist front page headline
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post Mar 28 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #1
Danvicii
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

because which politician has the better pair of legs is obviously so much more newsworthy than what what they actually discussed.. mellow.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeaceMob
post Mar 28 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,342
   No Gallery Pics

Oh please I am tired of this constant being offended. The Daily Mail even says next to the headline that it's just a big of light heartedness. It's like the world has gone upside down and it's the liberal lefties who are offended by anything and the conservative right who know when to have a sense of humour.

+Quote Post
White Mustang
post Mar 28 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

It IS offensive. When you compare it to the same pic of Cameron meeting Salmond there was none this nonsense. I'm tired of constantly being offended too, but then again I'm tired of seeing such offensive things from the Daily Mail. No, it's not the worst thing they've put out and I find it hard to be shocked by them anymore, which is actually pretty sad.

+Quote Post
PeaceMob
post Mar 28 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tinasha @ Mar 28 2017, 02:33 PM) *
It IS offensive. When you compare it to the same pic of Cameron meeting Salmond there was none this nonsense. I'm tired of constantly being offended too, but then again I'm tired of seeing such offensive things from the Daily Mail. No, it's not the worst thing they've put out and I find it hard to be shocked by them anymore, which is actually pretty sad.

Do you actually read the Daily Mail though? If not then why are you being offended by it, no-one is forcing you to read it, that's why I avoid The Guardian like the plague because to me it's full of leftie liberal bulls**t. This "issue" just comes across as lefties trying to whip up some drama against the Daily Mail.

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post Mar 28 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #5
Gunshot Glitter™
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

Once again, the most important thing about a woman is her body or how she dresses. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Mar 28 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #6
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeaceMob @ Mar 28 2017, 02:28 PM) *
Oh please I am tired of this constant being offended. The Daily Mail even says next to the headline that it's just a big of light heartedness. It's like the world has gone upside down and it's the liberal lefties who are offended by anything and the conservative right who know when to have a sense of humour.

Well, first of all, the light-hearted comment was a last minute addition after the initial uproar. However, the problem is that 1. there would be absolutely no similar remark if there were two males discussing something of such significance to the future of the Union. 2. It is far from a one-off, it a continuous thing that happens waayyyy too often and only in regards to females. Why must women leaders constantly be subject to objectification on how they dress? When Theresa May was announced as the new Prime Minister, The Sun just focused on her choice of footwear for their FRONT PAGE which has no relevance to the her capability for the role or how she ended up in the position or the significance of being a second female PM.

It is something that is CONSTANTLY happening, which moves it way beyond a sense of humour. It highlights the continuing uphill battle that women have to face in order to be taken seriously in such high positions. Believe me, I'm getting so annoyed by everything somehow containing some form of offence to people in a way that really limits how the media and everyday people can act but that doesn't mean that there is still a wide range of credible things that do need to stop happening and continually focusing on how women look/dress above the actual issues at stake is one of them. Nicola and Theresa were discussing hugely important issues yesterday, they were discussing how we are actually going to operate without the EU, something we have been a part of for over 40 years and has affected us in so many different ways as well as of course the future of Scotland's relationship with Westminster and the UK as a whole. If Scotland do go independant, it would be another massive change for our country and so there are huge issues at stake here. Why are they not the focus?

Aside from politics, the Daily Mail has the awful sidebar of shame which everyday has tens and tens of articles specifically to comment on how a celebrity (to varying degrees) looks, in the sense of what they're wearing or if they've put on a bit of weight or if they're looking older. Why should there be so much scrutiny on these issues? They directly harm girls and women as they make them insecure and make them continually conscious of how they look and what is the 'right' way to look.

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post Mar 28 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #7
Gunshot Glitter™
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Klaus @ Mar 28 2017, 02:44 PM) *
Well, first of all, the light-hearted comment was a last minute addition after the initial uproar. However, the problem is that 1. there would be absolutely no similar remark if there were two males discussing something of such significance to the future of the Union. 2. It is far from a one-off, it a continuous thing that happens waayyyy too often and only in regards to females. Why must women leaders constantly be subject to objectification on how they dress? When Theresa May was announced as the new Prime Minister, The Sun just focused on her choice of footwear for their FRONT PAGE which has no relevance to the her capability for the role or how she ended up in the position or the significance of being a second female PM.

It is something that is CONSTANTLY happening, which moves it way beyond a sense of humour. It highlights the continuing uphill battle that women have to face in order to be taken seriously in such high positions. Believe me, I'm getting so annoyed by everything somehow containing some form of offence to people in a way that really limits how the media and everyday people can act but that doesn't mean that there is still a wide range of credible things that do need to stop happening and continually focusing on how women look/dress above the actual issues at stake is one of them. Nicola and Theresa were discussing hugely important issues yesterday, they were discussing how we are actually going to operate without the EU, something we have been a part of for over 40 years and has affected us in so many different ways as well as of course the future of Scotland's relationship with Westminster and the UK as a whole. If Scotland do go independant, it would be another massive change for our country and so there are huge issues at stake here. Why are they not the focus?

Aside from politics, the Daily Mail has the awful sidebar of shame which everyday has tens and tens of articles specifically to comment on how a celebrity (to varying degrees) looks, in the sense of what they're wearing or if they've put on a bit of weight or if they're looking older. Why should there be so much scrutiny on these issues? They directly harm girls and women as they make them insecure and make them continually conscious of how they look and what is the 'right' way to look.

Everything you've said is correct.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Mar 28 2017, 01:58 PM
Post #8
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

Yup I third that statement of excellence.

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Mar 28 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #9
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

Nothing will ever be as bad as the "Enemies of the State" headline a few month back, especially after learning more about 1940s Germany whilst in Berlin.

+Quote Post
White Mustang
post Mar 28 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(PeaceMob @ Mar 28 2017, 02:39 PM) *
Do you actually read the Daily Mail though? If not then why are you being offended by it, no-one is forcing you to read it, that's why I avoid The Guardian like the plague because to me it's full of leftie liberal bulls**t. This "issue" just comes across as lefties trying to whip up some drama against the Daily Mail.

Echoing everything Froot/Klaus says really. Obviously if you think the well balanced Guardian's (usually) fair stories are simply "liberal bullshit" then we're clearly not going to agree. But whether you read Daily Mail or not, it's the biggest paper in the UK with millions of people being influenced by it, so I'm allowed to care. It's worrying to see the kinds of subconscious (or not so subtle), hateful, racist, homophobic, xenophobic values that are being pushed into the mainstream.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 28 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #11
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

They do have worse, this is standard Daily Mail really but that doesn't make it any less awful. The two most powerful (for shame in May's case but that's for another thread!) women in the UK meet to discuss politics and important affairs but it comes down to who has the best legs... And no, I don't read the Daily Mail becasue I have enough brain cells to avoid it but as said there are millions are people who do and as it's the most popular paper in the UK it has influences and permeates the nation's conscious whether we read it or not. A headline and story like this is going to go viral so we all see it, and we have the right to be offended by blatant sexism just as the Daily Mail demographic will inevitably stomp their feet and cry when two guys kiss on a primetime soap or a Muslim woman wears a hijab in the "wrong" place :')

+Quote Post
PeaceMob
post Mar 28 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Klaus @ Mar 28 2017, 02:44 PM) *

And yet despite your feminist rant, the Daily Mail has the highest female readership out of all the UK's newspapers, go figure. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Mar 28 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #13
wtf are perfect places
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeaceMob @ Mar 28 2017, 03:19 PM) *
And yet despite your feminist rant, the Daily Mail has the highest female readership out of all the UK's newspapers, go figure. cool.gif

and Mrs Brown's Boys is one of the most highly rated TV shows here but that doesn't mean it's a good show or even funny. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
White Mustang
post Mar 28 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(PeaceMob @ Mar 28 2017, 03:19 PM) *

Do you have something against feminism? Also, females can be just as (often moreso) sexist towards other women as men.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 28 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #15
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

I think that just speaks for the idiocy of our population laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 28 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #16
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

What a dire front page, The Daily Mail continues to be utter trash. Froot basically summed up everything I wanted to say but better than I would have put it. It's a shame that the importance of the issues at hand that they were discussing had to be undermined for their appearance to be focused on instead. Why must they portray powerful women in such a way, as if they cannot be taken seriously?! Cheap and nasty brainless attention grabbing from them as per. It will always baffle me how popular this terrible journalism is.

+Quote Post
PeaceMob
post Mar 28 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Klaus @ Mar 28 2017, 03:26 PM) *
and Mrs Brown's Boys is one of the most highly rated TV shows here but that doesn't mean it's a good show or even funny. tongue.gif

In your opinion. Ask yourself, why do liberal lefties ALWAYS feel the need to tell people what to do and how to think, why can't they just let people be. No wonder communism is SO popular with the liberal left.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Mar 28 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #18
wtf are perfect places
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tinasha @ Mar 28 2017, 03:28 PM) *
Do you have something against feminism? Also, females can be just as (often moreso) sexist towards other women as men.

Yeh, it was a woman who actually wrote that article (although it'll have been someone else who chose that headline and for it to be on the front page), and its often women who write the Sidebar of Shame stuff. That doesn't make any of my points invalid at all. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
WallIsSoGood
post Mar 28 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #19
🙄
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,643

Smelt drama.

Drag Froot cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Mar 28 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #20
wtf are perfect places
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeaceMob @ Mar 28 2017, 03:32 PM) *
In your opinion. Ask yourself, why do liberal lefties ALWAYS feel the need to tell people what to do and how to think, why can't they just let people be. No wonder communism is SO popular with the liberal left.

and why do people try and use 'liberal lefties' as an insult? Whatever I am, I wasn't telling anyone what to do or how to think, I was making a joke to counteract your point. All I'm looking for is for you to discuss and provide a counterargument to the points I raised.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 01:51 AM