BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Woke' pop songs, Yay or nay?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
burbe
post Apr 2 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #1
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

How do you feel about politics entering into pop and in particular 'woke pop' such as Chained To The Rhythm?

Are you one of those who say artists should stay in their lane and keep their opinions to themselves or do you applaud people like Katy Perry for using their platform as a voice against the government? Are you completely cynical and think it's artists just attention seeking?

I for one love and am hyped to see the growing trend. In particular Lily Allen is probably my most anticipated album because of this, and I hope the likes of Katy Perry continue down this route.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lordita
post Apr 2 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #2
feminist icon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,777

YES!!!!!!!!! as can largely be expected of me i'm SO f***ING HERE FOR THIS

+Quote Post
burbe
post Apr 2 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #3
Lusts for Life
   No Gallery Pics

Also another underrated woke anthem ~

+Quote Post
lordita
post Apr 2 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

omg stan ha!

+Quote Post
Jacobspam
post Apr 2 2017, 10:18 PM
Post #5
Jacob Alan
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Actually love how Chained To The Rhythm has an actual message, it's starting to do what pop music desperately needs to do with the immense power it has (with the audiences it reaches and attachment so many people have to it)- promote a message that makes people stop and think rather than regurgitating tired cliches about love or sex.

Was watching a fantastic video on this subject from The School Of Life just a few days ago:

This post has been edited by IrnJacobru: Apr 2 2017, 10:19 PM

+Quote Post
Silas
post Apr 2 2017, 10:40 PM
Post #6
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

Not really new territory for Lily, there was definite tones of it in Alright, Still and It's Not Me, It's You. (Both brilliant)

I'm totally here for woke pop. Just coz it's 'supposed' to be light and fluffy doesn't mean it can't bring a srs message.

+Quote Post
Joe.
post Apr 2 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

Woke classic

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 2 2017, 11:10 PM
Post #8
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

Omg 100% yes!

If anybody can get across a message without forcing it so it worms into people's minds, it's the big pop girls like Katy Perry. I'd much rather they used their platform to speak up on issues through their music than write generic songs about getting drunk in da club and passing out and waking up next to someone you don't know. Those songs can be bops but I think it's so important that musicians spark the discourse like this. It's so effective when songs like Chained To The Rhythm are nice breezy pop because it makes you listen to the lyrics and emphasises them, for me.

+Quote Post
burbe
post Apr 2 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #9
Lusts for Life
   No Gallery Pics

It's also very pleasing to see Chained to the Rhythm #1 on airplay for so long! Hopefully it encourages more political undertones in pop as it clearly won't be punished by radio stations!

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Apr 2 2017, 11:58 PM
Post #10
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

not when katy f***ing perry does it

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 3 2017, 01:05 AM
Post #11
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Yes! It's so patronising when people are like "this artist should stay out of politics and stick to singing about *insert their usual style here*" etc. why should they? I was surprised at Katy releasing a song like this but in a really good way! They have this unique platform so I'm all for getting messages out there through it. Especially if the music is good, which in the case of 'Chained To The Rhythm', it definitely is!

+Quote Post
Cody S. Berry
post Apr 3 2017, 03:27 AM
Post #12
bitch i don't need introduction
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Where was this discourse when f***ing GREEN DAY did it first?

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Apr 3 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(♀Cody Viall♀ @ Apr 3 2017, 04:27 AM) *

Or when Madonna did it a year before? kink.gif

I think there's a great deal of people who like to just criticise pop music. It can be considered as not "real music" because the lyrics or the production wasn't created by the artists themselves and is designed to sound good on radio and feed the record company's bank balances or, when pop music tackles a serious topic, the same group of people demand the artist "stays in their lane" and whatnot.

The only rule I require from pop music is that it sounds good and is inspired/not obsessively trend-chasing (although even then, in regards to the latter, I can find myself liking the most desperate of trend-chasing songs). Pop music dealing with political or social issues has an advantage that the rest of the genres don't, to varying degrees - it can present itself to the widest possible audience, which is surely what is hoped for when you are making a statement? You can also have a lot of fun with it. Take Katy Perry's song for instance - on the surface, it's a care-free, summery pop song about loving music and partying, but there's a political message running through, dressed up in seemingly simple pop lyrics and great irony. I've said this before across the forum, but it's one of the main reason I enjoy Madonna's music so much. The likes of 'Papa Don't Preach' and 'Express Yourself' are bangers but they're also strong examples of addressing social attitudes.

+Quote Post
Jacobspam
post Apr 3 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #14
Jacob Alan
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(♀Cody Viall♀ @ Apr 3 2017, 04:27 AM) *
Oh absolutely, "American Idiot" was a brilliant concept album- I love Green Day but while of course they do fall under the wide umbrella of "pop music", they're more rock than pop and while still massively popular they're sadly not chart topping. People like Katy Perry are more instantly accessible to the masses and it's her music that'll be played in the clubs, on the radio, in gyms with people subconsciously picking up the lyrics the first few times, then starting to think about them the next few. Of course that won't always be the case, musical trends change but it is undeniable that a lot of hugely popular tracks have absolutely meaningless drivel as lyrics and honestly that almost puts me off almost as much as my not liking the sound of the track. That said, I don't mind if lyrics don't mean much as long as they're fun pop, I can give cheeky clever lil pop songs a pass, it's cliched, boring, try-hard explicit lyrics I can't stand, if you're going to use the power of explicit words, use it for effect.

Also, if we're going to start going that far back, Pink Floyd did it "first" on The Dark Side Of The Moon with themes such as criticising greed and confronting death amongst others, and several of their other albums had a strong political message (Final Cut is blatantly anti- Thatcher) but then again there are probably more examples before them that I just haven't thought of right now.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Apr 3 2017, 11:24 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(IrnJacobru @ Apr 3 2017, 12:21 PM) *
Also, if we're going to start going that far back, Pink Floyd did it "first" on The Dark Side Of The Moon with themes such as criticising greed and confronting death amongst others, and several of their other albums had a strong political message (Final Cut is blatantly anti- Thatcher) but then again there are probably more examples before them that I just haven't thought of right now.

Pink Floyd make "real" music though so it's acceptable for them to involve politics in their music.

+Quote Post
Jacobspam
post Apr 3 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #16
Jacob Alan
   No Gallery Pics

Isn't Green Day is also "real" music? I can't keep up with the official list of artists accepted by music snobs rn. laugh.gif

But yeah, I'm a fan of "real" music (some pop as well tho, I have a broad taste), and alternative genres will always exist and speak to their (smaller, but still significant) audiences in the way they choose, which is usually more intelligent than a lot of pop it has to be said but remember in 1973, Pink Floyd was hugely hugely popular. Yeah it was psychedelic rock but when something becomes as phenomenally big as Dark Side it becomes "pop" by default. Times change and now we have a more modern definition of pop but the principle is still the same. Different people have different tastes and go for different sounds and that's fair enough but no matter what we listen to we should all expect lyrics with more substance than the 100000th song about how high/ drunk some rich singer/ rapper got in da club one night, or about how much they really really want to f*** someone/ something. I don't really like to think of it this way but when we purchase/ stream music we are accessing a "product" and as consumers we choose what does well commercially.

We look for more and more intelligent material in TV all the time, why not in music?

This post has been edited by IrnJacobru: Apr 3 2017, 11:48 AM

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Apr 3 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,265

'iLL Manors' remains the best political protest song of recent times.

+Quote Post
Jacobspam
post Apr 3 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #18
Jacob Alan
   No Gallery Pics

iLL Manors, what a song. wub.gif

Video here for anyone missing out:

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Apr 3 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #19
\_(ツ)_/.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 67

QUOTE(RosaParksMyCar @ Apr 2 2017, 07:58 PM) *
not when katy f***ing perry does it

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Apr 3 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #20
\_(ツ)_/.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 67

Chained to the shitstorm is the worst song I've ever heard. It is like a Gloria Estefan demo remixed by a very tired Gibson sister.

Woke enough to change the station.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2017 - 10:24 AM