BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Worst Cover Songs
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HeadlessJockey
post Apr 5 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

What is the worst cover version of a song that you've heard and why:

There are a few stinkers:

Be warned: Not for sensitive ears.

Some of these are really bad. Aaron Carter's 'Crush On You' that is very disturbing and also for Ashley Tisdale's 'Never Give You Up'.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade-o-Lantern🎃
post Apr 5 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

One that comes to mind is McFly's 'Don't Stop Me Now', the vocals on that weren't great.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 5 2017, 07:44 PM
Post #3
Ooga Boo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 5,572

Maroon 5's version of Pure Imagination >>>>> the original

This post has been edited by Regina: Apr 5 2017, 07:44 PM

+Quote Post
Sonia Fowler
post Apr 5 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #4
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

Ashley's cover of Never Gonna give You Up is good tbh

+Quote Post
HeadlessJockey
post Apr 5 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Sorry Ashley's version was very awful, Harry.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Apr 5 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

This came up on my news feed again the other day and, rest assured, it's the worst thing I've ever heard in my life. Sorry Garry.

Even watching it is bad.

+Quote Post
HissingSparkler
post Apr 5 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #7
Hiss Hiss Bish.
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

This wouldn't be the worst, but I don't really like how the vocal is speeded up so much from the original.

The worst I have heard that I have heard is the Cheat Codes/Kris Kross Amsterdam version of 'Sex', so generic and dull.

This post has been edited by Вuzzjack: Apr 5 2017, 09:08 PM

+Quote Post
Cursed Wombat
post Apr 5 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #8
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Leona Lewis - Hurt
Alexandra Burke - Hallelujah

Probably my least favourite songs ever never mind covers, two absolutely beautiful, subtle songs whose meaning and thought is completely desecrated and anonymised by the need for vocal acrobatics and commercial value, epitomising everything I hate about X Factor. It's rare I hate songs, but I absolutely refuse to listen to these.

(agree with Truly Madly Deeply too ;o)

This post has been edited by Chez W♀mbat: Apr 5 2017, 09:36 PM

+Quote Post
DANKENSTEIN
post Apr 5 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #9
Danvīci
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

One Direction's killing of 'One Way Or Another'.

Also Little Mix's useless 'Word Up' cover.

+Quote Post
HeadlessJockey
post Apr 5 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Вuzzjack @ Apr 5 2017, 10:06 PM) *

This wouldn't be the worst, but I don't really like how the vocal is speeded up so much from the original.

The worst I have heard that I have heard is the Cheat Codes/Kris Kross Amsterdam version of 'Sex', so generic and dull.

Their version of 'Because The Night' also that was bad.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 5 2017, 09:26 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez W♀mbat @ Apr 5 2017, 10:10 PM) *
Leona Lewis - Hurt

Probably my least favourite songs ever never mind covers, two absolutely beautiful, subtle songs whose meaning and thought is completely desecrated and anonymised by the need for vocal acrobatics and commercial value, epitomising everything I hate about X Factor. I rare I hate songs, but I absolutely refuse to listen to these.

Those two covers are perfect examples of my complaint about singers who can sing all the notes but cannot sing the words.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Apr 5 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Apr 5 2017, 10:26 PM) *
Those two covers are perfect examples of my complaint about singers who can sing all the notes but cannot sing the words.

I LOVE the way you've put that. It's so true that being able to technically sing doesn't automatically make a song good.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Apr 5 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

The Family - Nothing Compares 2 U. Perfect example of how to ruin a classic, smothering one of the greatest songs of the 90s in dated-sounding synths, bizarre chord progressions and godawful spoken "Woah woah woah woah" lines...and don't get me started on the saxophone!

The Knife - Heartbeats. Don't know what they were thinking at all here, I've loved José González's ballad ever since it was used on the Sony advert, who decided it would be a great idea to turn it into some naff 80s-lite electropop cover? Gotta be a self-depreciating joke, thankfully no one's heard of The Knife since.

Elton John - Your Song
- Musical legend gets lazy and covers one of Ellie Goulding's best songs. He doesn't ruin it as much as he could have done, but the song just doesn't work at all sung by a man, it was obviously meant for Ellie's voice and Elton just doesn't compare.

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply - Why would you even do this?! Take one of the best dance tracks of the noughties, slow it down way too much and make it sound like a dull, boring ballad of the kind no one under 60 would ever choose to listen to! And whoever sings it doesn't do it in any way justice compared to the brilliant Natalie Horler.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb - Even worse. A fun disco track about getting drunk and partying with all the joy sucked out, making a former party track sound like the most depressing thing known to man. Hopefully the same band haven't covered Take Your Mama or Filthy/Gorgeous as god knows how bad they would sound.

But probably the absolute worst...

Joan Jett - I Love Rock & Roll Joan WHO? Has Britney sued yet?! One of her best tracks ruined by someone who doesn't look like they've updated their wardrobe since 1982. Thankfully today Britney remains well known than whoever this woman is.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Apr 5 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #14
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Damn, you initially got me on The Knife before I read the others properly. Agree with most of that lot (assuming you're dissing the reverse) although not for Comfortably Numb that's a time where I really see the value of the cover as both are used for such different purposes and both sound great. It's a hard song to ruin.

Somewhere Only We Know and Dancing On My Own (Lily Allen and Calum Scott) are the two that most spring to mind as awful and pointless piano ballad versions that feel emotionless and fake compared to the originals. And they did better because of course they did, I'm positive that's the main reason my mind sprung to them.

Take That have a pretty awful track record on cover versions, there's Could It Be Magic and Relight My Fire that I never want to ever hear again. In general, but I think I could tolerate the originals.

+Quote Post
Cursed Wombat
post Apr 5 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #15
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I feel stupid that took me so long to get :')

Another one in the utterly emotionless devoid covers:

I'm cool with Birdy now, her original stuff is excellent, but this cover was just...no (apparently she covered White Winter Hymnal as well which I definitely don't wanna hear).

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Apr 5 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #16
I'll be the actress starring in your bad dreams
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Dancing on my own.

Case closed.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Apr 5 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #17
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

Cascada's slower version of 'Truly, Madly, Deeply' provides a better vocal (obviously)!

But although it was probably not warranted or needed, I really like their version of it! The original by Savage Garden is one of my fave songs.

---

EDIT: Oh and yeah. UV has the winner.

+Quote Post
HissingSparkler
post Apr 5 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #18
Hiss Hiss Bish.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Their version of 'Because The Night' also that was bad.

I though that was good, there was also this hardstyle version from 2002 that made the top 40. Jan Wayne's gonna move ya!

This post has been edited by Вuzzjack: Apr 5 2017, 10:30 PM

+Quote Post
Jacobites
post Apr 6 2017, 12:34 AM
Post #19
Jacob Alan
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Apr 5 2017, 09:58 PM) *
This came up on my news feed again the other day and, rest assured, it's the worst thing I've ever heard in my life. Sorry Garry.

Even watching it is bad.
Ugh yes I'm familiar with this. I've kind of decided that watching it is worse (or at least more cringe inducing) than listening to it but it's a bad cover as well- with Gary.. doing what he's doing he's too out of breath to sing properly and the guitarist (I forget who's who) is playing as if it's the first song he's properly learnt (and omg those facial expressions, the worse thing is it's a really simple guitar part laugh.gif ).
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Apr 5 2017, 10:26 PM) *
QUOTE(Chez W♀mbat @ Apr 5 2017, 10:10 PM) *

Leona Lewis - Hurt

Probably my least favourite songs ever never mind covers, two absolutely beautiful, subtle songs whose meaning and thought is completely desecrated and anonymised by the need for vocal acrobatics and commercial value, epitomising everything I hate about X Factor. It's rare I hate songs, but I absolutely refuse to listen to these.

Absolutely this, great phrase there Simon. Ironically the songs are examples of two of the best covers of all time (Jeff Buckley's version and Johnny Cash's respectively), maybe that's why they were picked on? Those versions are all about going "oh look at how WELL I can SING" rather than actually conveying any kind of meaning through the immensely powerful words. I will defend the songs themselves though, I really like them in their original/ actual innovative cover forms) despite those travesties existing.

QUOTE(Iz)
Somewhere Only We Know and Dancing On My Own (Lily Allen and Calum Scott) are the two that most spring to mind as awful and pointless piano ballad versions that feel emotionless and fake compared to the originals. And they did better because of course they did, I'm positive that's the main reason my mind sprung to them.
Lily's Somewhere Only We Know is nowhere near the level of Calum's Dancing On My Own in terms of awfulness (Lily's was a decent, 'nice' cover, at least it had a slightly 'Christmassy' feel which is what it was going for, although Keane>>>>>>>>). Calum's version of Dancing On My Own kills the song for me, it becomes drab, dull and sleep inducing.

+Quote Post
TheStareCrow-dy
post Apr 6 2017, 01:16 AM
Post #20
technique on fleek cause I'm ballet trained
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Lily's SOWK was shite, Calum's DOMO was utter shite

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 02:04 AM