BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kendall Jenner for PEPSI advert controversy, Drink advert sparks Internet outrage
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Apr 6 2017, 12:22 AM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I haven't been able to escape discussion about this on Twitter today. PEPSI launched a new ad with Kendall Jenner which borrows imagery from the Black Lives Matter movement. It has subsequently been pulled and they've apologised after the negative reaction.

Have a watch of the ad below:

The uproar for this has been massive - just look at the like/dislike ratio on YouTube. Most comments about this on social media seem to be about the fact that this ad is trivialising Black Lives Matter. That pain and suffering is being normalised and that there is nothing symbolic about an officer accepting a Pepsi. That this ad turns white supremacist subtext into a plot line - "Stereotypically pretty white woman saves marginalised groups".

What do you guys make of this advert? Do you think it's distasteful or that there has been an overreaction? What do you think of Kendall Jenner and her involvement? Comment away~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Houdini
post Apr 6 2017, 12:24 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

Why is she famous?

+Quote Post
Meatball Cody
post Apr 6 2017, 01:07 AM
Post #3
the hood
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade 🐱 @ Apr 5 2017, 05:22 PM) *
PEPSI launched a new ad with Kendall Jenner

What do you think of Kylie Jenner and her involvement? Comment away~
i guess all of the kardashian Jenner clan are hard to differentiate between

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Apr 6 2017, 01:12 AM
Post #4
One Mississippi you're here, luvin me with all your heart
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,161

I can see why people could find this offensive. I do think the uproar about it has been WAY too much though, and I don't think there would be this much discussion about it if it was someone else and not a Kardashian tbh. I feel bad for saying they're my guilty pleasures ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Meatball Cody
post Apr 6 2017, 05:00 AM
Post #5
the hood
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

looks like her career is gonna slowly decline

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 6 2017, 06:55 AM
Post #6
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

It's almost as if Pepsi purposefully made an advert that would evoke strong feelings in people, therefore getting lots of people to talk about it, leading it to appear prominently in news bulletins around the world, helping to give Pepsi $100s of millions of dollars of free publicity in addition to the money the spent on the advert.

Every single time. It happens every single time.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Apr 6 2017, 07:07 AM
Post #7
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

This is a hideously tone deaf advert. Fitting that one of the kardashicunts is in it. The worst thing about it is that Pepsi apologised to Jenner!!!?!??! Like naw. She entered into this knowing what it was the culturally appropriating c**t so she doesn't deserve an apology, she should be apologising for agreeing to take part in something so utterly wrong.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Apr 6 2017, 09:28 AM
Post #8
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I'd only seen reports of this beforehand and didn't want to click on any because, either way, its giving thos f***ing Kardashians more publicity. But, just watching the video there, its actually worse than I thought! The fact they all are cheering when he drinks the Pepsi as though that's all the problems solved. The fact that there's a photographer as though its an important moment in political history, like that black woman standing in front of those armed police officers.

+Quote Post
White Mustang
post Apr 6 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

It is tone deaf and silly. I do think the reaction is a bit TOO much given it clearly had good intentions in there somewhere, as misguided as they were.

+Quote Post
burbe
post Apr 6 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #10
Lusts for Life
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

It was worth it for the publicity of "Lions" by Skip Marley though heart.gif

+Quote Post
Floater
post Apr 6 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #11
Only here for the cereal
Member No.: 19,534

There were so many socially conscious ads during the Super Bowl that I'm not surprised Pepsi attempted to follow suit, but clearly it's way off the mark and I can't add much else to what's already been said. You can't exactly hire a Kardashian to star in an ad like this and expect the message to come across appropriately!

QUOTE(irn_brube @ Apr 6 2017, 08:08 AM) *
It was worth it for the publicity of "Lions" by Skip Marley though heart.gif
Ah, I wondered what the song was. Was hoping the backlash towards the ad wouldn't lead to a backlash toward the song if people associate it with the ad, but I doubt that'll happen.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 6 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #12
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

This is hideously misguided at best... If they really wanted to make an impact and be socially conscious like a lot of adverts were in the big Super Bowl spots, why not actually use a black woman? I agree it's probably to stir the pot and get more free publicity on top of the actual advert drama.gif

+Quote Post
Capybréra
post Apr 6 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #13
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

I'm not sure why the fact it's a Kardashian is relevant, the entire premise of the ad is just trivialising a serious issue, it'd be just as bad if it was just a randomer. It's astonishing that no one involved in the production of this ad realised how terrible an idea it was...

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Apr 6 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

It's relevant because they, and Kylie in particular, have a history of appropriation and pulling shit like this. They are pretty much the scum of the celebrity scum pool.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Apr 6 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #15
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré 🐱 @ Apr 6 2017, 07:36 PM) *
I'm not sure why the fact it's a Kardashian is relevant, the entire premise of the ad is just trivialising a serious issue, it'd be just as bad if it was just a randomer. It's astonishing that no one involved in the production of this ad realised how terrible an idea it was...

the worst thing is knowing how many people this had to pass til the final product. not one person thought it was a disasterous idea. like I can see where they were TRYING to go with this but kendall dancing and partying at the end was just the icing on the problematic cake for me. never seen that at a rally before...

+Quote Post
Mack
post Apr 6 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Thought those days were over with it being misguided. Can the Kardashians kindly piss off and go away.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 13 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #17
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

A bit of interesting bit of after-the-fact research regarding the video. A research company commissioned an opinion poll to see how various groups responded to the Pepsi advert. The results in full can be read here. The most interesting statistic is on page 9 of the report. After watching the advert, the respondents were asked if the advert they just watched gave them either a more positive or negative opinion of Pepsi.

75% of Hispanics said that they had either a much more favourable or somewhat more favourable opinion of Pepsi after viewing the ad.
65% of people classified as Ethnicity: Other (which I assume includes mainly those of Asian origin) said that they had either a much more favourable or somewhat more favourable opinion of Pepsi after viewing the ad.
51% of African Americans said that they had either a much more favourable or somewhat more favourable opinion of Pepsi after viewing the ad

In fact, the only ethnicity for which less than half said they had a more favourable opinion of Pepsi after watching the ad were whites with 41%, and they were also the group who most said it would leave them with a more negative opinion of Pepsi.

*Brett's Opinion Poll Disclaimer*.

By decree, when mentioning opinion polls in any capacity on Buzzjack, I am required to post a link to "the clip" whenever I bring it up.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 11:44 AM