BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Task 2B - Further Info
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz~
post Apr 6 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #1
consentes dei Juno Jupiter Minerva
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

So, you're aware that we have a History quiz on the cards for Saturday night. This will be a live quiz. I'm going to be doing some unusual things with it so I will give you the instructions in advance so that you're all prepared for what's to come.

Arcadians, youíve been busy setting up your government, making plans, thinking about how itíll look, and thatís just grand. But before I can let you pass Iím going to need to test you a bit. Yes, I may be aligned to one of the parties but I have been contracted by Emperor Silas to be impartial in this (and will be supervised by him on running and marking the results). You see, running a country takes more than the knowledge of how to run a country. Thousands have ran countries in the past and Iím afraid the sad truth is that most of those countries are no longer standing. Some are, and you need to learn from them.

How will we avoid this in Arcadia? The saying goes that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Therefore, on Saturday, I will need you, in your teams, to answer me some history questions for points (to be converted into the standard teams seats once I use my points to determine which teams have come 1st, 2nd and 3rd). To show you have the knowledge necessary to avoid the blunders, and know of the blunders, that people made in the past, as well as learning what went right, and how they adapted to challenging change.

1. First off, half of this History quiz, half of the available points, is going to be a group of longer questions. There will be three of these, and they will be about some really high profile historical topics. Basically, write a paragraph or two attempting to answer the questions as much as you are able to within the timespan of the quiz. There will be no extra points for getting your answers in ahead of the other teams, you will have 30 minutes after the finish of the main quiz to submit your final answers, by PM to me, Iz♀. Because of some of the rules I'm going to share with you regarding the other half, which IS a quickfire history quiz, it may not be worth all of your teammates present focusing on the quickfire questions, have some assigned to these three. As for the questions themselves, obviously I don't expect an accurate answer that explains away everything that historical scholars have been trying to explain for centuries, I wouldn't expect that even if you all WERE history undergrads, and you're not. Indeed, feel free to be creative and humorous with your answers, I will be marking these answers on how convincing they are at putting across their arguments.

2. a) The rest of the quiz will be 36 questions on historical facts. They are from all across history, however if I were to give you a few areas to prepare for, I would say 'classical ancient history', '1400-1800 Europe', and '20th century' as very loose guidelines where most of the questions fall, although some fall outside of those three as well. As the theme of this teams is 'Nation-Building', the theme of these questions is 'Rise and Fall'. Therefore the first 12 questions are themed around 'Fall', the next 12 around 'Rise', and the final 12 about 'adapting to change', although to be honest, some of those are just about anything. Some may even help you with the first half of the quiz. Maybe.
b) This will be also done by PM. Please ravage my PM inbox, it can take it. I tried to set up Google Forms for this thing and it was just tiring me out.
c) The questions will be revealed in batches of 4. You may answer them all together in one PM, although that will put you at the same timestamp for all four questions for marking purposes, or answer them separately in four PMs, in whatever order you please (there's a bit of strategy for you, I suggest answering the questions you know without looking up first x). Either way, please indicate in the subject line of the PM which question(s) you are answering.
d) The bit about being fast. Yes, you will have to be a bit fast. The first correct answer for each question will get 10 points, the next 9, and so on down to 3. BUT, only 5 correct answers from each team can score points. So it's in your interest to get them in fast, but also to be right and you can still submit a correct answer a bit slow and get something for it. This should also hopefully make it fair in case one team has the luck to have more of its members around (more people to work on the first half, but also make up for incorrect answers).
e) Some questions have more than one correct answer. Normally it's two but there's one or two that might have more. If there is more than one, you'll know and each different answer is counted separately for the 10 down to 3 thing, but not the 5 correct answers from each team thing.

I hope this all makes sense to you. I've tried my best but if there's something I missed, you have a couple of nights to ask me any questions for me to clarify. The only question I will not answer is 'what are the questions you've prepared'.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 01:00 PM