BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> United Airlines Overbooking.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jonjo
post Apr 12 2017, 12:01 AM
Post #1
Together we are more.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 5,042

This is currently doing the rounds in a big, big way!

Apparently this passenger was asked to leave his seat due to "overbooking" and obviously refused to leave. But he was then forcibly removed off the flight! The video below shows him banging his face on the arm rest opposite as he tries to stand his ground! And this video has since gone viral.

*SOME REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE SCENES!*

Absolutely disgusting behaviour. That poor man rightfully stood his ground and if they DID overbook, why didn't they tell the people that were yet to get on that they had over booked, instead of doing this? I've read that it was actually a member of STAFF at United Airlines, that took his seat which makes things 10 times worse as it's reported that he was on the plane to go home because he had a hospital appointment the following day!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Faller
post Apr 12 2017, 12:18 AM
Post #2
Driving with my eyes closed
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Yeah, apparently they had FOUR staff members who had to work a flight in the next city, so they offered money to anyone willing to take a different flight, but no one took the offer so they did a random draw and resorted to.....that. The company deserves all the backlash they're getting but I'm kinda worried they won't properly compensate the guy and somehow get away with it. I mean, their original responses to the incident were pretty bad!

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 12 2017, 12:26 AM
Post #3
Always Watching...
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah, what I don't get is: 1) Why this wasn't handled BEFORE the flight? Surely the staff should've seen that the flight was overbooked so booking should close instantly? I don't know how airline systems work very well, but it seems really incompetent to find that out after everyone has paid for a ticket... 2) Why did they just pick passengers to be thrown off and not give them a say? Fair enough if they voluntarily leave, but making someone leave against their will (and particularly a doctor) isn't right, particularly in a democracy.

Remind me to avoid this airline in the future.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Apr 12 2017, 12:30 AM
Post #4
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

QUOTE(Riser @ Apr 12 2017, 01:18 AM) *
Yeah, apparently they had FOUR staff members who had to work a flight in the next city, so they offered money to anyone willing to take a different flight, but no one took the offer so they did a random draw and resorted to.....that. The company deserves all the backlash they're getting but I'm kinda worried they won't properly compensate the guy and somehow get away with it. I mean, their original responses to the incident were pretty bad!
Yeah! Wasn't one of the responses using the "Passenger was being disruptive" excuse? If you watch the video, the reaction from the other passengers would suggest otherwise!

I just can't believe the way it was handled. I feel so sad for the poor guy! sad.gif

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Apr 12 2017, 01:04 AM
Post #5
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

It made me sick to my stomach watching that video on the news poor man did not deserve it and from the passengers on their they were horrified that it happened. I really hope they recieve such a backlash for this its disgusting. It should have been sorted out pre-flight.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Apr 12 2017, 01:16 AM
Post #6
One Mississippi you're here, luvin me with all your heart
Member No.: 21,161

Yeah it's absolutely ridiculous. Why should anyone, especially a DOCTOR have to leave a flight they've booked and paid for? mellow.gif The way they removed him is what's worse honestly, really hope he sues their asses

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 12 2017, 02:38 AM
Post #7
Balegdah
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

This is absolutely awful, how on earth does a business fail so badly that they don't realise a flight is overbooked until this point?! :/ And the statement is just awful to go with it, it's basically "oh well we were overbooked it happens don't blame us", when they forcefully dragged someone off a flight, made him bleed and behaved despicably just because of the shortcomings of their system...

+Quote Post
Lorderella
post Apr 12 2017, 06:39 AM
Post #8
broadcast the boom boom boom boom
Member No.: 4,397

Disgusting stuff. Not watched the video and not going to. It's clearly not gonna make my life any better and i already know what horrible things to expect there.

Well look at how their stance changed after all this backlash. And ONLY after the backlash. And because there is a video. Good god remind me to never use this airline.

Maybe they can tell everyone he was wearing leggings and that's why he was removed. At least that would be consistent.

+Quote Post
Faller
post Apr 12 2017, 06:57 AM
Post #9

Maybe it's just an American thing, idk, but it's not uncommon at all for airlines to overbook their flights. They do it to ensure a full flight in case anyone books but doesn't show up (which I can't believe would happen but apparently it does so whatever). It's standard practice for the airline to offer money to anyone willing to bump their flight, and United wasn't even close to offering the maximum amount they're allowed to offer so it's mind-boggling why they didn't fully exhaust that option first. This whole incident highlights a number of things that need to change within the industry, unfortunately there's only like four major airlines now due to companies merging and lack of competition is becoming an issue, so I won't be surprised if nothing changes :\

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Apr 12 2017, 07:46 AM
Post #10
Buzzjacks Resident Head c**t In Charge
Member No.: 16,660

I'm disgusted, but above all majorly confused as to how flights get overbooked at all??? Like in Europe I've never ever had this before

I think the worst part is that it was for their own staff, which they couldve easily booked a flight for at another airline or chartered a small plane

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 12 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Overbooking is pretty common. As others have said, airlines do it because some people book a flight and then don 't turn up. Sometimes they get it wrong and have to persuade people not to take the flight. It's happened to me. I was offered an upgrade to business class on a flight that evening and a free flight which I was happy to accept.

Of course, this particular incident is awful. The airline made a major blunder and were then far too slow to respond. Their PR department seem to have been taken by surprise at the speed with which a video can go viral. Someone needs to tell them that this is 2017, not 1987.

+Quote Post
Aaron.
post Apr 12 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 3,245
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Apr 12 2017, 09:37 AM) *
Overbooking is pretty common. As others have said, airlines do it because some people book a flight and then don 't turn up. Sometimes they get it wrong and have to persuade people not to take the flight. It's happened to me. I was offered an upgrade to business class on a flight that evening and a free flight which I was happy to accept.

Airline Fares in North America have become ridiculously expensive, one loophole many people have uncovered is to find a flight where the city you want to go to is the connecting city to get the cheaper fare.
Meaning that, if say Dallas is your true destination, if you fly CALGARY --> DALLAS --> MIAMI and just get off in Dallas, your flight is cheaper as opposed to just booking Calgary to Dallas.

Airlines solution to this is overbooking flights.
Everything depends on the Airline. We have 2 (major) airlines in Canada. Westjet does not overbook at all. Air Canada will only overbook flights coming from the USA because of the issue above.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 12 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #13
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I've flown on United Airlines before in the United States when it's been overbooked. When that happened, an announcement went out at the departure gate saying that the flight was overbooked, and if anyone was willing to relinquish their seat they will be offered a later flight, and on top of that they offered vouchers for a free meal (as the next flight you could be moved to could be in a few hours), and a $400 voucher to use towards a future flight with United. If you're willing to be flexible with your travel and you're lucky with what flights you book, you can work it so you never need to pay for flying - I made use of it when I was in America, was able to get a heavily reduced flight to Nashville off the back of it.

Because of this, I was a bit confused when I first heard this story, as I assumed that if United Airlines had overbooked the flight, they would sort out the overbooking at the departure gate before boarding, as they had done in my case, not when people are already on board.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Apr 12 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #14
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

If they need the seats to accomodate their staff, surely that's their own fault and it's up to them to sort that out themselves without making passengers suffer for it. Needless to say what happened and the way it's been handled is disgraceful and I'm glad huge losses have been reported since, it's what I like to call instant karma.

+Quote Post
Faller
post Apr 15 2017, 02:49 AM
Post #15

Now there's a news story of a United Airlines passenger being stung by a scorpion during a flight. It's nowhere near as severe but the story's getting a lot more attention than it otherwise would have, for obvious reasons.

+Quote Post
Mack
post Apr 15 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Would never fly again at United Airlines. Never have, never will.

+Quote Post
Bairlas
post Apr 15 2017, 02:54 PM
Post #17
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

The only American carrier that i would fly again is Southwest.

I'd rather swim across the ocean than fly Delta transatlantic again

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 15 2017, 09:47 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Riser @ Apr 15 2017, 03:49 AM) *
Now there's a news story of a United Airlines passenger being stung by a scorpion during a flight. It's nowhere near as severe but the story's getting a lot more attention than it otherwise would have, for obvious reasons.

You can just imagine the discussions within the United marketing team when they were trying to think of what else could go wrong for them. No doubt the person who suggested a scorpion bite was told not to be so ridiculous laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 15 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #19
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Apr 15 2017, 10:47 PM) *
You can just imagine the discussions within the United marketing team when they were trying to think of what else could go wrong for them. No doubt the person who suggested a scorpion bite was told not to be so ridiculous laugh.gif

"You know, 99.9% of our passengers don't get the pleasure of being stung by a scorpion whilst flying on United Airlines, so you should count yourself lucky. If anything, they should be paying US money for the pleasure of being able to experience something that no other customer has been able to enjoy".

+Quote Post
Flatcap
post Apr 16 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 27
   No Gallery Pics

Surprised at this, like a few others in this thread I thought it would be dealt with at before boarding. Also, staff members that are meant to be on the flight I thought would have been catered for sooner than that. Perhaps a sudden change in staff rotas could explain that? thinking.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2017 - 12:50 AM