BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The worst ever point of EastEnders?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
The worst ever point of EastEnders?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
Botchia
post Apr 12 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753
Given it's potentially at its worst ever point, I thought a nice little poll to see what everyone thought about how the current era is compared to other highly panned eras of EastEnders.

For me, I'd say atm it's running VERY close to its lowest ever point (well since I've been watching anyway). All four of those eras were pretty bad, but it felt like they each had some saving grace and atm it doesn't really seem to have one apart from the Sylvie storyline (which has ended), even the bullying storyline has been really badly written.

I voted for 2011-13 because I believe the show jumped the shark too many times and was full of poor writing and character development. But the current era COULD overtake it soon.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
RobBot
post Apr 12 2017, 03:59 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
User: 7,117
This definitely has the one of the only times where I can say that for MONTHS NOW, there's been absolutely nothing I'm gripped or caring about. Regardless of "jumping the shark" or being unrealistic, the baby swapping was at least gripping and evoked a reaction. This gives me nothing, so much focus on Michelle, who is precisely nothing like she was previously, has no likeability and invites no real reason for sympathy. There's just so little going on and it really shows in how limp the "duff duffs" have been recently.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post Apr 12 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608
The only story I'm interested in at the moment is the Bex storyline, although it's not quite as bad as it was a couple of years ago when I actually stopped properly watching it for a few weeks it was so dire. I think that was the 'Love and Warmth' period after the baby swap.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 12 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
2016-now (Bins, Michelle's recast, 'Everyday community focus') easily has the vote from me.

From watching the show for years, this is the most time i have struggled to stay with the show, nothing is gripping me, and there is nothing building to even look forward too.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Apr 12 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177
I chose 'other' because there was a period I stopped watching which was pretty much all of 2013 but that doesn't stand alone in the poll. I stopped about a week after Zainab left and didn't bother until Christmas that year with Janine's arrest and the arrival of the Carters.

Due to work stresses, I have legit fallen asleep during more than one episode recently.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Apr 12 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
I think the Lorraine Newman love and warmth period was worse but this is really getting there. The only saving grace is the bullying storyline, I think if it wasn't for that it would be the worst period I could remember. I feel so sorry for the actress behind Michelle, she's an accomplished actress being slaughtered when the writing is really to blame. I was thinkng exactly what Rob said the other day about the duff duffs though, I said to my friend the other day you can tell it's in the shit when they do duff duffs of just nothing. It really defeats the point of the dramatic duff duff when it's just Max having a drink with Carmel or Maddison and Alexandra acting like cows as they have all episode drama.gif

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Apr 12 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
I will admit that I love Michelle. Jenna's a decent actress and Michelle is pretty in character if people take off their rose tinted spectacles.

The issue is her storyline. Preston was such a jerk that Michelle's motivations seem iffier than they are supposed to. She professes love yet we can only see why she'd be physically attracted to him. They gave no screen time of them enjoying each other's company other than sex. And to have her whole family turn against her gives her limiting interactions.

I'm more pissed off with how much of a c**t Whitney has become. One of the best young actresses they have but she's become such a smug cow...

This post has been edited by ♀T Boy♀: Apr 12 2017, 04:57 PM

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Apr 12 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I Drink Wine
QUOTE(♀T Boy♀ @ Apr 12 2017, 05:28 PM) *
I chose 'other' because there was a period I stopped watching which was pretty much all of 2013 but that doesn't stand alone in the poll. I stopped about a week after Zainab left and didn't bother until Christmas that year with Janine's arrest and the arrival of the Carters.

Due to work stresses, I have legit fallen asleep during more than one episode recently.

I just lumped 2013 with 2011-12 since it was just another awful period that continued straight on from the last one laugh.gif

But yeah Summer 2013 was absolutely dire. I switched off for a few months because it got so bad, and that's the only ever time I've stopped watching it. I started again when Ronnie returned (I think that was September or October time).

This is getting very close to Summer 2013 levels of awful. As everyone else has been saying the duff duff's are so lame, none of the storylines are really going anywhere and there's nothing major to keep you hooked.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Apr 12 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #9
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Yeah the "love and warmth" period of the show was awful, and the "who shagged Kat"/Alfie & Roxy pairing stuff were some of the worst storylines I've seen in ~10 years of watching the show. It's getting to those levels again now, stuff like the bus crash and Michelle crashing her car should've been very dramatic but they were damp squibs, particularly the former. I can't stand Michelle at the moment, Jenna Russell seems like a very competent actress but like has already been said, there's nothing that makes me want to feel sorry for her (and I've got no knowledge of the character's previous stint in the show). The bullying storyline is good but honestly I'd much rather watch Emmerdale/Corrie right now.

+Quote this post
Houdini
post Apr 12 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725
I'd say now is the worst period for EastEnders. I hardly watch it these days, I only saw it recently because of catching the tail end of the episode where Michelle's affair was revealed to Bex and that week ended with Sylvie dying as well.

2001-2002 is hands down the best ever period for EastEnders, for those of you who were too young to remember or enjoy it at the time I would highly recommend watching episodes from that time on YouTube. Every episode was a must watch in those days and every episode was entertaining. Characters like Phil Mitchell, Trevor, Dan Sullivan, Steve Owen, Lisa, Melanie and pretty much everyone else were all on top of their game then.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post Apr 12 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
2001 was absolutely amazing. So iconic.

+Quote this post
pippa
post Apr 12 2017, 07:29 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
QUOTE(Houdini @ Apr 12 2017, 07:49 PM) *
I'd say now is the worst period for EastEnders. I hardly watch it these days, I only saw it recently because of catching the tail end of the episode where Michelle's affair was revealed to Bex and that week ended with Sylvie dying as well.
2001-2002 is hands down the best ever period for EastEnders, for those of you who were too young to remember or enjoy it at the time I would highly recommend watching episodes from that time on YouTube. Every episode was a must watch in those days and every episode was entertaining. Characters like Phil Mitchell, Trevor, Dan Sullivan, Steve Owen, Lisa, Melanie and pretty much everyone else were all on top of their game then.

2001-2002 was golden, the show was on fire in that era, interesting characters with depth and substance with such strong storylines to back them up. If the show was half as good now as back then, it would still be enjoyable.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Apr 12 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #13
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
Now and when it went all gangster e.g. Andy, Johnny Allen.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post Apr 12 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
2003 was very weak. The Ferreira's and Shirley 1.0's noisy neighbours/cat saga just about summed it up!

But yes it's really dull right now. It's filler TV at the moment, save for one episode a fortnight perhaps, and that's a shame. I've watched every single episode since 1995 (!) and the best for me was the 1998-2001 period. Steve, Mel, Sharon at her best, Phil, Lisa, Irene, Tiffany, the Slaters at their peak, so so good <3

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Apr 12 2017, 07:38 PM

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post Apr 12 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548
I will not tolerate Shirley Benson hate.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Apr 12 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
I started watching Eastenders towards the end of 2004 so I missed the 'golden era' of 1985-2002 and watched all the 'bad patches'! laugh.gif 2004 is usually dubbed the worst year of Eastenders because most people refer to "kidney-gate" and the Fairground Disaster. In actual fact, it is a hell of a lot better than it's given credit for. From what I've seen, the storyline of Laura Beale's death and Janine's arrest and exit was great viewing, Chrissie hacking off Kate's hair is iconic, there were some great scenes between Sharon and Dennis (particularly when Sharon discovers Dennis is a murderer) and December leading into the new year was great (who can forget Chrissie throwing sprouts across the room, screaming "COULD YOU NOT HAVE WAITED 'TILL AFTER DINNER?!?!". laugh.gif Considering all the off-screen problems (Dalip Tahil getting deported, Leslie Grantham's webcam fiasco, numerous characters temporarily leaving due to illness, suspensions or maternity leave, several script rewrites and the executive producer battling with a stalker - just to name a few!) it's a miracle things ran as well as they did.

2006 is the worst for me. I enjoyed it at the time because I was young and didn't really understand what Eastenders was about and just enjoyed the drama but, looking back, it was an ugly, disrespectful time for the show. The character assassination of Pauline was unforgivable, killing Kathy off-screen was ridiculous, the Martin/Sonia constant arguing was tiresome and there was such a foul portrayal of bisexuality, and Get Johnny Week was hilariously bad.

I never really disliked Kirkwood's era as much as most people do. I get that he changed the format and foundations of the show and what it was about, but I only realised that with hindsight. He had some really great moments, such as Billie's death, Whitney's second abuse storyline and anything to do with Mandy Salter. Even things like killing Pat and Heather off, whilst they shouldn't have happened, the storylines were really well done - Pat got a stunning final episode and the episodes surrounding Heather's death were great, plus Shirley finding out Ben killed her was the last time Eastenders did a really fantastic aftermath. I too was really gripped by baby swap.

2013 is the only time I stopped watching the show. As T Boy said, I stopped watching for chunks at a time soon after Zainab left (I thought everything to do with her exit was awful) and regularly started watching again when Michael was killed (a fantastic episode). That said, everything in the middle of that was either just boring or ridiculously not funny - it wasn't damaging as well like it is worryingly becoming now.

I agree that recasting Michelle isn't the problem. It's the stupid storyline that has tainted her character that is the problem. It's probably the most damaging and insulting thing the show has ever done and I feel this could become the worst era of the show if things don't drastically improve soon. Such a shame because September 2016 to January 2017 was so promising.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 16 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
Easily the show where it is now. I just find it to hard to enjoy right now, boring storylines and it all seems so flat and no direction. The Bex storyline is the best thing on the show now and as usual Kim brightens the show up with her scenes but everything else i have no interest in especially the Michelle storyline, i actually forward most of her scenes when watching. I just really hope they get a new exec in soon as im hanging on by a thread as a viewer and i have never felt like this about the show and im watching almost 30 years.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post Apr 17 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #18
Group icon
I Drink Wine
Maybe we should start a sweepstake for when Sean O'Connor will "resign" tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post Apr 26 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #19
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915
When Pauline got remarried and that murder reveal from Joe. Didn't Michelle Ryan who played Zoe Slater take a break back in 2002 for personal reasons.

+Quote this post
Hide&Seek
post Jul 1 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,500
I vote for Now !

I haven't watched it for a couple of months now. My Mom still watches it (out of habit) and lets me know what's happening. I always ask ''Eastenders any good lately ?'' and she always replies ''Not really'', or ''shite''.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:57 AM