BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Let's Talk Retro: Ringtones, Monophonic, Polyphonic & Truetones
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Apr 19 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587
To try and put some life into this section of the Buzzjack community, I wanted to engage with you all on things from the past that most of us can relate to. Beginning with this thread, I aim to spontaneously create "retro threads" to discuss various things from yesteryear!

Before smartphones there were mobile phones which only had the capability of ringing a certain kind of sound.

In the very early days, most people had Nokia's which came with a standard selection of monophonic tones which only could play one note at a time, and that sounded like this;

Later mobile phones advanced, and a new breed of ringtone was created — polyphonic tones! These new sound files allowed for greater sound quality and the ability to add a wide array of instruments to the tone.

Nowadays, people still use polyphonic tones, but many people prefer to download a truetone on the iTunes Store and Google Play store so they can have an audio recording of a popular song in the charts as their ringtone, complete with vocals too.

Questions to consider;

What was your very first ringtone?
Any funny stories surrounding your ringtone going off in public?
What was your favourite ringtone?
What type of sound do you choose as a ringtone today?

Discuss! happy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Apr 19 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
My current ringtone is a Monophonic version of Alice Deejay's 'Better Off Alone', played out of a modern smartphone tongue.gif I think in a few years there'll be a big nostalgia wave for early mobiles and how they looked/sounded - keep onto those 3310s!

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post Apr 20 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #3
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
I had this big old brick of a Motorola phone as my first one, although it was actually handed down from my sister when I turned 13 - which was 2002. My ringtone was 'Kiss Kiss' by Holly Valance if I'm not mistaken!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 23 2017, 08:15 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
I got my first phone in 2011 so nothing too retro really! (It was a tiny samsung phone with a touch screen that you had to use a stylus to tap) My ringtone was a quote from the Monsters vs Aliens film (something like 'once again, a UFO has landed in America - the only country UFOs ever seem to land in'). I just use whatever the default ringtone is now laugh.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:35 PM