BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has social media ruined proper journalism?, *copy and paste a few tweets*
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
burbe
post Apr 29 2017, 03:48 PM
Post #1
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

As the thread said, what are your thoughts on the current state of these news / entertainment sites?!

The big trend atm is copy and pasting a few tweets and then creating an article about it. Imo, it's such lazy journalism and doesn't even show a full scale of opinions.

Digital Spy has become a huge offender of this, with most of their opinion columns now replaced by 'OMG audiences HATED the twist on Broadchurch' and then an insert of 10-15 negative comments about it. It's such a joke! Is this really what journalism has come to now? mellow.gif

Then there's others like The Sun who have a huge agenda against certain broadcasters and fabricate whole negative audience reaction articles to a show or something that broadcaster has done based on 3 tweets laugh.gif

It's like opinion columns and reviews have completely disappeared in favour of lazy embedded tweet articles.

Rank over tongue.gif Looking to the future, I feel like it's hard to see these sites coming back from this as well because it's such an easy and cheap way to produce content. I really hope this trend dies out soon ~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
danG
post Apr 29 2017, 03:55 PM
Post #2
putting the DAN (feat. Quavo) in dance music
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I think 'traditional' news as we know it won't be around for much longer with all the BuzzFeeds, Digital Spys and Daily Mails of the world dominating over tl;dr sites like the Guardian, Times and BBC (which itself will eventually resort to clickbait and poor journalism due to lack of funding)

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Apr 29 2017, 04:06 PM
Post #3
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

omg YESS!!! This is something that has really been irritating for me for ages!!!! Websites are basically able to make ANY headline that they want about public opinion and use like the only 3 tweets that support that view from 3 random people and that's the basis for the article. I've seen so many 'Viewers SLAM blah blah' or 'blah blah is accused of SOME FORM OF CONTROVERSY'. Most of the time the tweets are also just like 'I bet people will complain about blah blah' or making some form of joke about meaning they don't even share the view.

It is literally THE LOWEST FORM OF JOURNALISM available (yes even worse than Lauren Goodger avoiding the puddle) and all writers participating should be ashamed of themselves. It really enforces this current nature where everything is 'offensive' or 'controversial' because they're stirring up these click-bait headlines with them selecting tweets to enforce their view when the vast majority of people probably don't even agree. You can even tell most of the time what they've searched for e.g. 'name' 'controversy'.

I detest it and I hate that we're now a society of this instant gratification where people can't even be bothered to read a proper article.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Apr 29 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #4
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I'm so passionate about this because SO MANY TIMES do I hear people going 'ooo this caussd a lot of controversy' and I just have to step in and be like NO it's just websites trying to stir up controversy.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 29 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #5
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

I also hate the clickbait "trend" (for want of a better word, ik it's not new or fleeting really), the way that headlines are written to make it sound like for example someone is on the verge of death but really they're now out of hospital. It's part of our culture of making celebrity gossip out of nothing I suppose laugh.gif It makes you click like "shit Elton John might die" or something, but you look and it's "he went to hospital 3 days ago and is now fine".

I agree about the articles that are about viewer reaction, they make it sound like a Big Brother race row level storm if Mary from Southport and Brenda from Bristol say that Eastenders was a bit boring or Corrie was a bit dark that night. In reality rather than troves of viewers losing their shit over something, it's just that they've taken the first couple of tweets from a search of whatever TV show that fit their agenda. You go on Twitter and you could probably find 10 tweets of pretty much any viewpoint if your'e going to make an article about that. It's just their views supported by a few tweets they found in 5 seconds... I'm nbf if anybody with even one brain cell cares they can look at the Twitter search themselves or a forum or something. The actual measure of controversy they should report is if something gets loads of Ofcom complaints, the msot recent one I can think of is when Corrie said something like "she's got more roots than Kunte Kinte" or whatever it was. Controversy is NOT "the bins thing is getting old #eastenders".

Imagine going through years of training to be a journalist only to end up writing articles like "Big Brother fans THREATEN TO TURN OFF over latest shock twist" and "Eastenders loses DROVES of viewers over bin plot" laugh.gif

Omg on Digital Spy I also hate those "9 characters who should've died" "10 characters who ruined TV showers" "23 Big Brother housemates who had lovely hair", especially the TV characters ones because they ALWAYS use it just to slag off Phoebe from Friends laugh.gif But they're not as big a problem, at least they have substance and are actually thought out and written rather than just copy pasting tweets.

+Quote Post
burbe
post Apr 29 2017, 04:16 PM
Post #6
Lusts for Life
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah it's so bad when the tweets are either ironic or don't even support the headline mellow.gif The use of tweets started off ok as just like backing up and opinion or like as a one-off, but it's just become even more than the norm now. It's basically replaced journalism on many sites.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Apr 29 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #7
One Mississippi you're here, luvin me with all your heart
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,161

This irritates me so much! I find most of Digital Spy and the mirror unreadable, these days, even if a reaction to something is 90% positive they'll get like three negative tweets and spin it to say everyone hates it mellow.gif Who cares what a bunch of nobodies on twitter think anyway laugh.gif With those standards it feels like anyone could become a journalist :')
QUOTE(Liam)
Omg on Digital Spy I also hate those "9 characters who should've died" "10 characters who ruined TV showers" "23 Big Brother housemates who had lovely hair", especially the TV characters ones because they ALWAYS use it just to slag off Phoebe from Friends laugh.gif

Exactly, they're just so pointless and irritating laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 29 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #8
Always Watching...
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I blame Buzzfeed for all of this.

I'm not sure how people enjoy reading these, the amount of gifs/images/general shite that's thrown into Digital Spy articles would surely make half the people reading's browsers crash laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 29 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #9
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

I don't mind it on Buzzfeed, they've sort of always been there for a quick read while you're scrolling facebook in bed and want to laugh at cute puppy gifs. I know Digital Spy was never The Guardian but they didn't used to such clickbait, I'm used to going on it for soap spoilers or entertainment news but they do much less of that now and much more clickbait although I think it probably is because Buzzfeed is so popular and DS are trying to get in on that. But Buzzfeed I feel do it well (as much as you can say that level of journalism is doing anything well), it's just a collection of amusing Tumblr posts to laugh at on the toilet or in bed, whatever, but DS devolve it even further and think that copying and pasting tweets is an article.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Apr 29 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #10
One Mississippi you're here, luvin me with all your heart
Member No.: 21,161

Yeah I'm not bothered about Buzzfeed as that's been in that style as long as I can remember reading it and is actually funny occasionally while DS/etc just come across as desperate laugh.gif God it irritates me.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Apr 29 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

I guess journalists are time pressured and, particularly online sites, feel a need to make their stories go viral or have as many shares as possible, and some dramatic slightly misleading headline or clickbait followed by a small sample of random tweets cobbled together into a narrative seems to be the way forward, and probably an easy way to bring a lot of people to the website for very minimal effort.

It is very very lazy and I'd never get away with it at the magazines I work for, nor would I want to do it!

+Quote Post
Slick
post Apr 29 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #12
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

Oh yes this has been irritating/upsetting me for quite some time now. It's TOO EASY for "journalists" to make a story out of a few tweets with next to no extra research. Some offenders don't even try to make an interesting story out of it - they literally just report stories about celebrities tweeting.

Social media is a fantastic resource for journalists where used properly - information can be sought, photographs shared and people easily contactable (even the rich and famous.) Where utilised efficiently, it can contribute hugely to a breaking news story. It seems some organisations are exploiting the clickbait culture by putting in the absolute minimum of effort.

Btw anybody who mentions "journalism" and "Digital Spy" in the same sentence can GET OUT. Maybe a few years ago (at a push), but not anymore.

+Quote Post
ta-ra*el~la
post Apr 29 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 18,962
   No Gallery Pics

If you want some good and meaningful articles and journalism, you should probably head to Medium (rather than places like Buzzfeed).

Here's my Medium profile, for anyone interested:
http://medium.com/@TaraElla

+Quote Post
Silas
post Apr 29 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

The difference between Buzzfeed and those that aim to copy it is that Buzzfeed never lets the "25 TV Characters who were the WORST" side of the side leak to their actual news journalism which ranges from hideously bias (heavily unionist ScotPol) to f***ing marvellous.

Another good model is Teen Vogue who are on fire right now. So f***ing good.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Apr 29 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #15
sweeter than a rice cake
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Liаm @ Apr 29 2017, 05:14 PM) *
Omg on Digital Spy I also hate those "9 characters who should've died" "10 characters who ruined TV showers" "23 Big Brother housemates who had lovely hair", especially the TV characters ones because they ALWAYS use it just to slag off Phoebe from Friends laugh.gif

Hahaha yeah I've noticed this too, poor Phoebe.
They always make such a big deal when they mention her in those articles 'YES, we said Phoebe, hear us out, she's actually such an evil character!!', yet they say the same thing every time so it's hardly surprising when she's included :')

I used to go on digital spy all the time but it's horrendous these days, so many useless articles like these ones or ones made up of tweets. For that reason, the daily mail sidebar of shame will always be the best for showbiz news 🤓

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 29 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #16
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Social media is an important tool to utilise for journalists but I totally get what you mean. It is incredibly lazy when you see articles out there that solely rely on tweets and have absolutely no substance to go alongside. I was also horrified to see the BIBLE of my early teen years Shout magazine completely going down the drain when I read a new copy for the nostalgia in a waiting room. Literally an entire article about some YouTube person's instagram photos and captions like '#amaze photo' with nothing else added. I know it's aimed at a young audience but my goodness, at least the journalism in those magazines used to have some kind of effort put into them.

Down with lazy journalism. More stuff like Teen Vogue (totally with you on that one Silas *.*) which actually feels like a worthwhile read.

+Quote Post
burbe
post Apr 29 2017, 08:33 PM
Post #17
Lusts for Life
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Silas @ Apr 29 2017, 07:14 PM) *
The difference between Buzzfeed and those that aim to copy it is that Buzzfeed never lets the "25 TV Characters who were the WORST" side of the side leak to their actual news journalism which ranges from hideously bias (heavily unionist ScotPol) to f***ing marvellous.
Another good model is Teen Vogue who are on fire right now. So f***ing good.

Yeah exactly, Buzzfeed still does the serious side of things very well. These copycats just seem to have capitalised on the original Buzzfeed niche and just run with it and let it consume all areas of their site. It's really sad because sites like DS were a decent read a few years back but now they're awful.

+Quote Post
lordita
post Apr 29 2017, 08:39 PM
Post #18
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

the problem with this is we can identify it as lazy journalism, but other's fail to do the same, then we get the issue where people think it's just the "norm" to gage overall public opinion over what they see online. it's confirmation bias gone absolutely crazy, i read an interesting article about smoking where a german study showed that the proportion of people the public believed to smoke differed hugely to what the actual proportion was based on their own experience of what they had seen/read on FB. even around brexit i remember people being like nah it won't be leave everyone i've seen on fb/twitter is voting remain ??? just????

+Quote Post
Mack
post Apr 29 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Digital Spy's annoying 11 most shocking moments ever in EastEnders
Daily Mail's Lisa Appleton shows her boobs in low-cut dress.

Those type of articles are annoying.

+Quote Post
popchartfreak
post Apr 30 2017, 08:41 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

the internet has mad it MUCH easier to manipulate ill-informed people - rather than research they just react.

Journalists are getting pressured to be cheap and quick, so that encourages poor practise even more. The current state of media in the UK is appalling. There are hopes, though, that decent proper journalists from reputable sources will continue amongst those that care about these things. All those sources have had an uplift as the Actual Fake Media get power (as opposed to those that hate facts and accuse the truthtellers of being fake media - hello Trump, hello Farage, hello Putin, all right-wing agenda-pushers supported by propaganda-pushing right-wing rich and powerful media). People want the truth as times get desperate, and they just aren't going to turn the Sun to get it if they have an ounce of sense.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2017 - 01:56 PM