BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maths or English, back to school~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Maths or English
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
Winter Wombatlan...
post May 1 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #1
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Excuse the teacher-y thread, but anyway, Maths and English remain the two most important school subjects in the curriculum, so much so that they are still compulsory after finishing school (and are pretty much a nightmare to teach to kids that age, I can confirm that biggrin.gif), and while you never really see the benefit while studying them at school, it's hard to really find an area of either subject that isn't important in some sense in jobs/life in general.

But I'm always interested to see which people think is MORE beneficial, as there never seems to be a clear answer...is it words or numbers that ultimately makes the world keep spinning? And additionally, which were you more aligned to at school or even now and feel free to share any school horror stories related to that.

I'm conducting some research into core subjects in the post-16 landscape so this is an interesting topic for me, so really any and all opinions are welcome!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 1 2017, 03:49 PM
Post #2
Ooga Boo
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,572

Preferred English and ended up getting a A in my Higher of it but I liked both in the end.

Think English/Language is more important, if you have a problem then being able to explain it properly is key. Maths is obv important too but I think I'd be in more
trouble without english than I would without maths.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post May 1 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #3
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

English for both

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post May 1 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #4
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I mean for the first question, I would obviously say English but then I did study it up to degree level and currently teach it. I'm just naturally more well versed in words than numbers and I like the interpretive and creative element much more so than there being a single right answer. I always struggled a bit with Maths and while I'm not too bad with quick sums, majority of it confused the hell out of me, I got a C in it and haven't looked back since!

The second question is obviously a lot harder and it may be something that will very much depend on individual circumstances and what you want to do in life, but ultimately I would say English for that as well there's very few aspects in life I can think of that don't require at least a basic level of reading and writing or USING WORDS in general, I mean you even need that for Maths itself.

(when I say 'English', I mean English Language as a subject, not Literature)

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: May 1 2017, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post May 1 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #5
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Considering I'm a Math/Econ major... yeah.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post May 1 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #6
c:
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,692

I opted for English as my favourite mainly due to English Language as I found the studying of the language and how it is used and has evolved really interesting. However, I hated Literature as I found it very difficult to infer hidden meanings from a text that weren't explicitly stated. I wasn't so keen on Maths either but I think that's mainly because I also did Further Maths and no longer had any clue what was going on anymore in those lessons. I haven't studied any of these since GCSE when I miraculously got an A in all three but couldn't wait to drop them really (I never was able to take Further Maths GCSE because I got 13/200 on the mock for it so they decided not to enter me into the exam laugh.gif)

In terms of what's most important, I opted for Maths but that's probably only more relevant to me currently as I'm studying Chemistry as an A2 at school at the moment.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post May 1 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #7
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I excelled at both at school. I chose Maths for the first question (would have been English were we talking about literature wub.gif I think I prefer maths as Language doesn't hold as much interest for me. Other languages do, but English not so much. Perhaps because I've known it all my life and the rules since a young age too. I remember really loving maths in school. Loved problem solving and I was amazing at arithmetic.

I chose English for the second question though both are important. I deal with kids every day that have such weak vocabularies and are unable to communicate themselves properly.

+Quote Post
Petelehem
post May 1 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #8
This lunch tastes like a beat
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Prefer: Maths
More Beneficial: Maths (I know English is important but you don't need to know why the attire of Curley's Wife means that she is defenceless and destined to die in your later life, whereas maths gives you logical thinking which I guess is useful in future careers)

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post May 1 2017, 04:16 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Of course, in terms of favourites Welsh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post May 1 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #10
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I find it so hard to choose, I haven't yet voted on either and I'm not sure I will. I was a bit of a Maths "prodigy" when I was in school (the whole, always be put into a special class a year ahead of everyone else thing) and I've always valued my ability to be able to do mental maths even now, even though I chose not to go down that route as I didn't think it was very me in the end and so I've gotten rusty on finer details like calculus but I do enjoy working out problems that use maths in the real world, I definitely find that ability SO useful.

On the other hand, I was only ever 'pretty competent' at English in school in comparison but with going into degrees set around written stuff and having my love of writing just continue to grow, my love of finding literary tropes and studying them even informally, finding extra vocabulary to use, practicing writing stories, it's come back to be on a par to be useful to me as Maths is and potentially something I may do further study in if I do want to do some written creative work in the future, which I do.

tldr: I can't choose, I use them both so much. Education is amazing, kids.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post May 1 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #11
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

i only did both subjects up to GCSE (i believe i got an A* in maths, A in stats and then As in english lit & lang which for some reason i got two separate qualifications in). not gonna lie, in terms of GCSE i didn't really enjoy either :') probably more english because my teacher was a badass

for me right now in terms of my studies it's impossible to say which is more important. In German I use skills I learnt in English to analyse poetry etc but then in Politics I'm expected to use mathematic knowledge for my research papers. With work I use maths more in my daily life but it's obviously only small calculations to do with cash (or working out offers)

i'm siding with iz here

+Quote Post
Dobservance
post May 1 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Maths any day of any week.

+Quote Post
Sqntq Clqus
post May 1 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Prefer English.

English is more important too as you don't need to know any of those crappy fancy equations in life.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post May 1 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #14
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Maths by farrrr for the first question, I found English class really tedious for the most part (I enjoyed creative writing but we didn't get to do that much of that, analysing texts was just mind numbing). Maths of course has its moments of being tedious as well (it's become moreso at university, for a couple of my modules at least) but I always quite enjoyed it.

As for the second one they're obviously both super important but I went for maths there too because it's absolutely crucial to all sorts of technological advances etc. (I've taken it to mean important to society as a whole, it'll be different for individual people ~)

QUOTE(cqmerqn @ May 1 2017, 05:34 PM) *
English is more important too as you don't need to know any of those crappy fancy equations in life.

You never need the specific things they teach you in any subject in real life, it's about the skills you get out of it. Same with English. You don't need to know the ins and outs of Shakespeare in life.

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 1 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #15
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I mean at school I got As in both of them soooo..... [/findurselfsomeonewhocandoboth]

I did end up doing English Lit all the way to Uni though and so I guess it comes as no surprise that I would argue that, in terms of transferable skills that they teach you, English is more important because it teaches you things that you need to be able to master in all careers/life areas like good communication (written and verbal), media literacy (like why advertisers/politicians/artists/writers/film makers use certain words/images/colours to get an idea accross and what they mean when they do that) and the ability to follow an argument. The flipside with Mathematics is that, outside of some specific career options, you don't really need more than just basic numeracy and how to work a calculator and there comes a point where, say, advanced trigonometry or circle theorems don't add any specific value to your future, especially if you're in a career where that's not relevant.

(That's not to say that there's no value in advanced trigonometry of course before anyone wants to start a fight)

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 1 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #16
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

English for both, although I am biased having done both Lit and Lang for A Level as well as being a sociology student laugh.gif I just think that for getting jobs, succeeding in life etc., you need to have the communication skills you get from English Language, and it also helps you understand people around you and be able to read things properly and efficiently, whether it's something really important like a job contract or just something like a magazine article, even for little things like so you don't get duped by shoddy journalism.

Lit is less useful ofc, I enjoyed it though. I was never a fan of maths, I would say I am very good at it though and I do have to do maths in psychology as we do a fair bit of stats, but there are calculators and stuff for most things and even with stats as long as we're taught how to do it or we read how to, it's easy enough to just do whatever I need in SPSS. There are of course skills in maths too but I think English is more important for a range of things, maths depends on what you do.

+Quote Post
Sqntq Clqus
post May 1 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brer @ May 1 2017, 05:37 PM) *
Maths by farrrr for the first question, I found English class really tedious for the most part (I enjoyed creative writing but we didn't get to do that much of that, analysing texts was just mind numbing). Maths of course has its moments of being tedious as well (it's become moreso at university, for a couple of my modules at least) but I always quite enjoyed it.

As for the second one they're obviously both super important but I went for maths there too because it's absolutely crucial to all sorts of technological advances etc. (I've taken it to mean important to society as a whole, it'll be different for individual people ~)
You never need the specific things they teach you in any subject in real life, it's about the skills you get out of it. Same with English. You don't need to know the ins and outs of Shakespeare in life.

True but they're talking about English Language, not Literature.

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 1 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #18
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I don't buy that the Lang/Lit distinction is as clear as some of you are making out to be. What is Literature if not just a piece or a series of pieces of language?

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post May 1 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #19
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(LexC♀ @ May 1 2017, 05:43 PM) *
I don't buy that the Lang/Lit distinction is as clear as some of you are making out to be. What is Literature if not just a piece or a series of pieces of language?

i agree :') tbh in GCSE i could barely tell the difference between splitting the qualifications. OBVIOUSLY i can tell the difference, but they were so similar in terms of what elements you were being assessed on

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 1 2017, 04:47 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

I'm with Bre, maths is my favourite by a long way. I was such a numbers nerd in school kink.gif (Still am lmao) Maths is one of those things tbh that if you're good at, you like and if you're not good you don't. Obviously there are exceptions but I remember most people in the same maths class as me liking it and everyone else more or less hating it laugh.gif I LOVED creative writing and doing presentations but pretty much hated the rest of English, comprehension will forever be the devil of school. Maths also came into other subjects I liked like Chemistry (the best subject magic.gif).

For the second question I'm not sure...both are fundamental subjects for life, if we're talking English Language that's obviously more important but I can't remember having a use for comprehension since I left school lmao.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 04:14 PM