BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GET WOKE 2 \ Register To Vote, #Silotti back with more GET WOKE info
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post May 2 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #1
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Seems like a fitting time to do this with a question about it in the voting thread so the theme of our second 'GET WOKE' series is about registering to vote and how you can take part in the 2017 General Election! happy.gif

The Basics

To be eligible to vote in the UK you must:

- Be aged 18 or over as of the date of the Election*
- Be a British, Irish or Commonwealth National**
- Be registered to vote

*16 for Elections taking place in the Kingdom of Scotland - Holyrood, Indyref2 & Local Elections
**EU Nationals may vote in Local elections and EU Elections

Referendums may have a franchise that varies from standard practices. If in doubt consult www.gov.uk

You can register to vote here: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote (GB) or http://www.eoni.org.uk/Register-To-Vote/Re...ess-change-name (NI)

And all you'll need to do that is:

- Your National Insurance Number
- Your Date of Birth

You will fill in a short form that should take you 5-10 minutes to do and that is you registered. You have until 23:59 BST on May 22nd 2017 to register to vote in the 2017 General Election. If you complete the form after this date you will not be eligible to vote in the upcoming election, but will be able to participate in elections and referendums in the future.

I'm registered, so how do I vote?

There are three ways to vote in the UK.

- By Person
- By Post
- By Proxy

To vote by Post or by Proxy, you must apply. More details can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/voting-in-the-uk

When voting in Person you should attend the polling station shown on your polling card between the indicated times. Elections in the UK are always held on a Thursday. Booths may be busy at peak times such as 6pm-8pm. If you're nervous about voting for the first time or crowds make you anxious it may be wise to attend mid-morning or mid-afternoon.

If you are unable to vote in person due to some unforeseen circumstances you may be eligible for an emergency proxy vote. Please consult the electoral office of your local authority for further details on what is eligible and how to apply.

Yeah, but how do I actually vote. Like how does it work when I'm in there with a ballot paper in my hand?

General Elections in the UK and local elections in England and Wales use the First-Past-The-Post voting system. Simply put the person with the most votes wins. The below video by CPGrey is a great explainer on how FPTP works and why it's pretty poor as an electoral system.

Scottish Council Elections and all Northern Irish Elections use Single Transferable Vote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8XOZJkozfI
Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and London Assembly Elections use the Additional Member System: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT0I-sdoSXU
Those voting this week for Mayors in England will use Supplementary Vote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngaWCWZHFDA

Why should I vote? I hate politics

You should vote because the decision the country will make has a direct impact on all of our lives for the next 5 years. By voting you get to have your say in how you think our country should be run. Politics impacts every aspect of our daily lives. For example, your local representatives have power over council run services in your area, some have power of your local NHS and over local Transport. Voting helps ensure that you get a choice in deciding who will be responsible for running these services.

I don't like any of them, they're all so slimy

While this may be true for a lot of career politicians who occupy the front benches, many representatives are hard working people determined to improve their communities. Many councillors are deeply embedded in their local community and are great champions for local causes such as saving your local A&E from closure.

Urgh fine, I don't know who to vote for because I don't care about politics

That's fine! There are many impartial sites out there to help you. http://uk.isidewith.com in particular is a fantastic site that allows you to identify which political party you most agree with.

However, it's worth thinking about what is most important to you. Some voters are what is known as "single issue voters" and they will vote for the party that most identify with this stance. Over the past ten years some of the most popular 'single issue' stances have been: (the party these voters then supported)

- Immigration (Initially voting BNP then switching to UKIP or Conservative)
- Eurosceptiscm (UKIP or Conservative)
- Scottish Independence (SNP)
- Scottish Unionism (Scottish Conservative and Unionism Party)

However you feel about how our country is run, it's important that you go out and vote!

The next election in the UK are Local Authority Elections and Regional Mayoral Elections on May 4th 2017. The next UK General Election is June 8th 2017.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mqh
post May 2 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Oh I can vote now! Totally forgot and this just reminded me. Thank you. biggrin.gif I shall make a job of signing up in the coming days.

This post has been edited by mdh: May 2 2017, 06:13 PM

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post May 2 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #3
All songs should chart like the NHS Choir (feat. Quavo)
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Lucky you, think about how us 17 year-olds feel about this election mad.gif

+Quote Post
Silas
Post #4
Surfing in paradise

I personally think that 16 and 17 year-olds should be able to vote.

+Quote Post
cq(uavo)merqn
Post #5
brqr is a flop
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I echo you Pete sad.gif

+Quote Post
mqh
post May 2 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I totally agree. It really hurts to know that myself and surely thousands and thousands of people across the country could have been the difference between us leaving and staying in the EU. It's the fact I KNOW things would have been different if 16/17 year olds would have been able to vote.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 2 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #7
One Mississippi you're here, luvin me with all your heart
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,161

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ May 2 2017, 07:45 PM) *
Lucky you, think about how us 17 year-olds feel about this election mad.gif

QUOTE(cqmerqn @ May 2 2017, 07:45 PM) *
I echo you Pete sad.gif

QUOTE(mdh @ May 2 2017 , 07:57 PM) *
I totally agree. It really hurts to know that myself and surely thousands and thousands of people across the country could have been the difference between us leaving and staying in the EU. It's the fact I KNOW things would have been different if 16/17 year olds would have been able to vote.

Y'all should move to Scotland, 16 and 17 year-olds get the vote in everything apart from the general election! I'm passionately FOR you lot getting the vote btw. It highly irritates me when people say you 'don't have the knowledge' or aren't interested enough in politics, when surely those who don't/aren't just won't vote.

+Quote Post
burbe
post May 2 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #8
Lusts for Life
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

I think 16 and 17 year olds should have been at least allowed to vote in EU Ref. It's a bit disgraceful to be excluded since they're going to have to feel the impact much more than those on the upper end of the scale.

But yes they should be allowed to at all elections sad.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 2 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #9
One Mississippi you're here, luvin me with all your heart
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 21,161

QUOTE(LustForLife @ May 2 2017, 09:53 PM) *
I think 16 and 17 year olds should have been at least allowed to vote in EU Ref. It's a bit disgraceful to be excluded since they're going to have to feel the impact much more than those on the upper end of the scale.

But yes they should be allowed to at all elections sad.gif

That was one of the things that really pissed me off! Surely it would've been in Cameron's interests to give them the vote anyway, he might've won in that case laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Silas
post May 2 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise

Cameron's arrogance over EU Ref was staggering. He'd have saved his job if he'd done just one of the two key things the SNP suggested. The double lock of all countries must vote to leave to leave and the 16 & 17 y/o amendment that was supported by the LibDems, Greens, PC and half arsed by labour.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2017 - 10:38 PM