BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Netflix have no competitors?, Can anyone seriously challenge Netflix?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
atrilliondollars
post May 5 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #1
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 30,252
   No Gallery Pics

I actually don't really like any video streaming site... preferring to either buy boxsets or see a movie in the cinema, but can any company really come close to beating Netflix? Their range is huge and their Originals are a bit plus. Interesting to see Bright and War Machine too, big movie stars there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dancember
post May 5 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #2
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe if Hulu actually branched out to the UK, but I think it's too late for that to take off now when everyone is raving about Netflix.

+Quote Post
Aaron.
post May 5 2017, 02:25 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,245
   No Gallery Pics

There are a few competitors for Netflix here in Canada, run by the larger cable companies.
One became defunct about 1 1/2 years of service. It was actually one of the more larger, reputable one. But apparently the pricing model didn't work with the costs to run, so, they shut it down.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post May 5 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Amazon is surely the biggest competitor but it isn't as good imo, I had both for six months and way prefer Netflix, barely used Prime TV and film

+Quote Post
awardinary
post May 5 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #5
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I wish Blockbuster never shut down their high street stores, I used to love visiting them to see what I could find! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 6 2017, 12:50 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

I only watch Netflix for Miranda tbh laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 6 2017, 01:06 AM
Post #7
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Amazon is ok but it doesn't have the exclusives or general breadth that Netflix has. I only have Amazon Prime because of the actual shopping site, as it's half price for students so it's only like £35 a year or sth and you get unlimited free next day delivery which I use a LOT. If it was just that you had to pay x for the video streaming I wouldn't look twice at it, I think the only things I've watched on Amazon are Awkward, Empire and a few episodes of Pokemon laugh.gif

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post May 6 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #8
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

I tend to find that Amazon is better for films and Netflix is better for TV.

I'd like Hulu to be available in the UK. For a platform thats actually owned solely content producers they're whining about licensing issues preventing their expansion. That's something they could solve easily with the right will.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post May 6 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #9
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I used to have Amazon prime when the grand tour was on, but have cancelled it since because I didnt think there was much on there that i'd like to watch, I also wasn't getting my moneys worth with the free delivery or the kindle library.

I've got Netflix now because I'm paying less for my phone contract I thought I'd use part of what I was saving to pay for Netflix, one of the best decisions I've made! I've binge watched OITNB already and there is a lot more on there that looks really good. The only thing I don't like about it is that because I've watched a lot of true crime documentaries, i'm getting a lot of recommendations for the same kinda thing, so I don't feel like I'm seeing everything thats on there and not sure how to browse the entire selections instead of just what is similar to what I've watched already

+Quote Post
atrilliondollars
post May 9 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #10
New Entry
Member No.: 30,252
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Silas @ May 6 2017, 11:29 AM) *
I tend to find that Amazon is better for films and Netflix is better for TV.

That sounds about true. Films seem to take forever to get onto Netflix... most of their movies are so old. This 1&1 list is worth checking out for options other than Netflix. Mentions pros and cons of Amazon, Google Play, and iTunes Video happy.gif

I'm actually considering going back to renting movies on blu ray biggrin.gif Now I have my xbox one, can actually play those again. I like the idea of getting the bonus features too, one thing you really miss when you stream.

+Quote Post
Tombo
post May 9 2017, 02:44 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 9,543

I recently got Netflix (yesterday) and it has an ok selection but I am annoyed that a lot of shows I like aren't on there.

I was hoping for Steps Reunion and Steps On The Road Again, South Park, Fat Friends, Desperate Housewives and more

WHY AREN'T THEY ON THERE ?!?!?!?

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post May 9 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tombo @ May 9 2017, 03:44 PM) *
I recently got Netflix (yesterday) and it has an ok selection but I am annoyed that a lot of shows I like aren't on there.

I was hoping for Steps Reunion and Steps On The Road Again, South Park, Fat Friends, Desperate Housewives and more

WHY AREN'T THEY ON THERE ?!?!?!?

It's all licensing, different channels etc. There will never be one service with everything on it.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post May 9 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

I like the focus Netflix has on original programming over the past few years - I am not that bothered about their film catalogue getting smaller when they're pushing out great content so often.

Hulu needs to move to the UK though, and I wish HBO wasn't tied to Sky.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 9 2017, 03:50 PM
Post #14
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

Films on Netflix are awful, I've bought a few cheap DVDs this week of films I wanted to see and as always checked Netflix to see if they were on there for free and none were, which always seems to happen. It's not a huge issue for me though, if I find I want to watch a film they're usually cheap af on Amazon or CEX.

The good thing with Netflix is that it's not a contract or anything so you can just cancel when you want, I often just cancel it for a month if there's nothing I want to watch on, and then pick it back up when a new exclusive comes up or there's something t binge.

+Quote Post
dancember
post May 9 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #15
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

South Park is a Hulu exclusive, not just in the US but worldwide... even though the rest of the world don't have Hulu sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Klampus
post May 9 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #16
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I think Steps on the Road Again is also a Hulu exclusive.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 05:51 PM